Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 3

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jaminet View Post
    Cillakat, fructose is discussed extensively in Step Two, removal of food toxins. In Step One, about macronutrient ratios, we only mention it in a sentence or two. Perhaps the order of the Steps should have been reversed, but that's how we did it.
    Excellent. Thanks so much for letting me know. I appreciate it.

I'm curious what you think of the vitamin D discussion in Step Three.
    *crosses fingers and toes* lol

Rice is not addictive like wheat,
    My personal experience is that it can be. For me, it doesn't matter what the grain is...quinoa, rice, millet - they all trigger this 'bottomless pit' thing for me. I'm not sure at all what it's about, but it happens consistently with any grain consumption.

I just want to eat and eat and eat. I can physically feel distention in my stomach - ie it's full - but yet there is this 'hunger' thing. I wish I could explain it better.

Potatoes trigger the same thing for me.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by, clarify and discuss with us.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    Oh, and Cillakat - his recommendations for vit D are a bit lower than the vitamin D council guys, but I wonder if that has to do with perfect health diet (or primal diet) being anti-inflammatory and grain free, so you don't need as much vitamin D? A doctor was telling me the other day about a study showing that high vitamin D without calcium supplementation resulted in calcium being taken from non-weight bearing bones, like the jaw. For the life of me, I cannot find this study or any iteration thereof. I have a feeling it has to do with K2 deficiency or something else
    ITA on the K2 thing but am still convinced that D3 levels in the middle of the reference range are overwhelmingly beneficial.

No counting is good for many but for some (me - lol) a lifetime of disordered eating means that checking in with nuritiondata.self.com once in awhile is really helpful. FE, right now I'm on day four of moderate to severe nausea. Just following my hunger cues, I was seriously overestimating how much I was eating. This is big for me b/c if I don't get enough zinc, my appetite will decrease further, nausea will worsen (though I'm not sure that's possible right now), anxiety increases.

Best,
    Katherine

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yes to all of Suse and Fairyrae

Conventional wisdom can't even get its "staple food" right. Like you can find studies where diabetics eat brown rice and bread and it isn't so antagonizing on blood sugar compared with white stuff, and you can find epidemiology where those who ate more whole grains and less white rice and flour tended to be healthier (likely because they also ate less of the other junk food and perhaps exercised and got sufficient nutrition, didn't smoke, etc), but assuming someone is eating a primal diet and generally healthy I would totally go for the white rice/bread to minimize gut irritation.

And reality comes crashing down around us!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    ......assuming someone is eating a primal diet and generally healthy I would totally go for the white rice/bread to minimize gut irritation.
    And reality comes crashing down around us!
    I think that notion may have been the hardest one for my family to believe. Then again, there's been a whole long list of things they don't quite believe is true. Or maybe it's they can't believe that I believe they're true. Any way, easy on the bran/fiber!

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/f...-fore-and-aft/
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    Bought the book - love the idea of "eating what we are" - meaning even lean humans are mostly fat by calories. So when we "cannibalize" ourselves with fasting (which has been shown to improve rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, epilepsy, heart disease), it makes sense to consume the name nutrient ratios on a regular basis, because obviously there's no fasting forever!
    This isn't logical to me.

Why should we eat "what we are" when other animals don't eat "what they are".

Having said that, I do think it's biologically appropriate for humans to eat fat in the general vicinity of his recommendations....just saying that that particular arument doesn't seem sound.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Here is another bugaboo for me:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8

That is a statement that requires clarification each and every time it's made. They do make that clarification at times, but not each time and it's going to be a major problem simply because the average person reading the book is going to read that white rice and processed white rice products are fine 'in general' and will be eating much more than is acceptable.

1)white rice intake must be counted as part of the 400 cals or less intake.....this number drops to 200 cals or less if trying to loose weight

2)white rice is the least nutritious of the starches calorie for calorie - if nutrient density is important and starches are required, pick another starch. If nutrient density is important and starches are *not* required, pick dark and bright non-starchy veggies instead.

3) for those struggling with blood sugar issues, binge eating or compulsive overeating, even small amounts of white rice, rice crackers or other processed rice products may (are likely to?) trigger problems.

My personal feeling is that white rice is a Very Bad Idea for many (most?) and a reasonable addition to the diet of those needing additional starch cals for intensive athletics....though tubers would be preferable to the rice.
    Sounds like another version of The Harcombe Diet (see http://www.theharcombediet.com)

I tried that and it honestly didn't work for me. So I bought TPB instead.

I will leave you all now. I need to go sort out my head.

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Yeah I just got introduced to them today by The Healthy Skeptic and it all looks great. Tons of great information with.... valid citations. Wahoo! *raccoon dance*

My one beef is that it has yet to be demonstrated that methionine has anywhere near the effect on mTOR in humans as it does in mice. And since humans were primarily meat eaters for a long time it would make sense to have some sort of a smart feedback mechanism AND also to be able to utilize protein to our benefit far exceeding any downsides to increased mTOR from say, 20% energy rather than 10%. I bet that insulin levels and cholesterol levels tie into it as well and so I wouldn't just say 200 calories from protein and that's that. A high fat, low carb low protein diet is either seriously low in nutrients or seriously high in omega 6 so I'm having a hard time calling that "optimal". If all else fails I would just use gelatin which doesn't have methionine and the most nutrient-dense protein sources.
    Gelatin as a protien source? please enlighten me Stabby, I never even thought of this before
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    An excerpt from the book, just perfect for emailing to friends and relatives who don't believe that grain is poison . . .

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...diet-solution/

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    An excerpt from the book, just perfect for emailing to friends and relatives who don't believe that grain is poison . . .

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...diet-solution/
    That is from Robb Wolf's new _Paleo Diet Solution_ (which I am LOVING btw), but not from the Perfect Health Diet, which is what this thread is about. Just wanted to clarify

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by 979roadrunner View Post
    Gelatin as a protien source? please enlighten me Stabby, I never even thought of this before
    I think he means as a fat source. Not sure though...

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast