Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 27

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    What does "fully ketoadapted" mean?
    To me it means being about to reduce carbs and/or fast without discomfort. I can vary carb intake tremendously at this point and not suffer (ie no low carb flu) when I fast or drop carbs very low.

My body had to figure out how to operate on ketones, how to access glycogen, how to produce glucose if needed - and it did. Just took a long freaking time.

There still is that pesky little tidbit though regarding starchy carbs triggering my appetite - just just cravings b/c I can crave something even without being hungry. Starches actually make me *hungry* though I do eat them, timed carefully to be followed with planned dosing of adderall. Yeah. I know.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Well I ate half a small sweet potato with my dinner last night and was starving hungry all night. My body just can't handle carbs at all at the moment. Berries and higher carb veggies are okay so I think I'll stick to those and hope that's enough to keep me from feeling more fatigued.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I had 5 sweet potatoes after a workout on Wednesday and felt good afterwards. I have to start buying and eating more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    I had 5 sweet potatoes after a workout on Wednesday and felt good afterwards. I have to start buying and eating more of it.
    LOL shame you don't live near me, I have a bagful I don't want!

I keep thinking that if I stay too low carb my body will stop being able to handle carbs, like people caution could happen. Then I remember my body already can't handle carbs, I don't think eating them will help, if it did I wouldn't have this problem in the first place would I lol!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

JPA
    Horsewoman how do you handle carbs?

I was in the hospital with swollen feet and extremely fatigued a month ago. I'm slowly recovering and I notice that when I up my carbs I feel a bit better. I managed to get a light weight workout on Wednesday and ate 5 sweet potatoes, strawberries, yoghurt and other veggies and like I said I felt a bit more energy.

I also heard about those Okinawan purple sweet potatoes, I looked for them and wasn't able to find any to buy and that would ship them to Portugal. They must taste delicious.

Horsewoman how do you handle carbs?

I was in the hospital with swollen feet and extremely fatigued a month ago. I'm slowly recovering and I notice that when I up my carbs I feel a bit better. I managed to get a light weight workout on Wednesday and ate 5 sweet potatoes, strawberries, yoghurt and other veggies and like I said I felt a bit more energy.

I also heard about those Okinawan purple sweet potatoes, I looked for them and wasn't able to find any to buy and that would ship them to Portugal. They must taste delicious.
    Blood sugar crashes and crazy non-stop hunger, mainly. Grains are worst but beans and sweet potatoes do it too. Berries seem ok if eaten with a meal.

When I went low carb with just veggies, no sweet potatoes or fruit, I felt more fatigued and low. I deal with mild chronic fatigue and dysthymia anyway, and it definately worsened.

I think my thyroid is downregulated because of the leptin resistance. I need low carb to deal with the insulin and leptin issues. Maybe the effects of low carb are temporary and would wear off in time if I stick at it, but I am concerned that it might take me further into lowered metabolism starvation mode.

And i really can't afford to feel any worse than I do already. Too many things that need doing (work, kids, seriously ill family member and so on).

Harold Whitman

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    That was what I was going to suggest too. Sweet potatoes are fat-free low-calorie foods. It's not the same as eating fatty meat. You've got to eat more of them if you don't want to be hungry soon.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

JPA
    Right, and I didn't eat just the 5 sweet potatoes. I had half a roasted chicken with them, along with salad, veggies, strawberries and yoghurt and I think I got some whey protein in the mix as well.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Wow. We're talking about maybe 1500 calories from carbs in one sitting. There's no way that I even could get that many sweet potatoes into my stomach at one time if I wanted to.

Gordo

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Me neither. I am upping my carbs a bit from having them in the 50-100g range - up to maybe 100-200g range the last few days, and it feels comfortable to me, my energy is better too. It is early days yet, but no weight gain from it, which is a boon.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast