Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 22

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Just a thought I had now... does dark chocolate count as a real carb for the PHD? How about nuts? I just had a whole bunch of cashews, brazilian nuts and dark chocolate with my lunch.
    Count the sugars, don't count the fiber. Nuts have a lot of n-6 fatty acids, so go easy on them. Macadamias are the best from a n-3 to n-6 ratio.

Gordo

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    I really like this. But question -- how much fruit is acceptable? I know they dislike fructose, but most fruit is so low in calories...

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I've read the whole of section 1 today, it's rivetting stuff and him describing the issues he had when he did paleo with veg as the only carb source is similar to my own, so I am very hopeful this can help me. Reducing protein scares me a bit though, as raising protein was a revelation for me years ago. But that was coming from eating insufficient protein on a student budget, and eating more carbs, so one of the main effects of the increased protein was helping protect my body from the blood sugar destabilising effects of the carbs.

I'm definately going to give it a go.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

spascarella is offline Member
    Well, I just received my copy of PHD in the mail today that I won over at Jimmy Moore's blog last week during his annual contest. Just finished WWGF so this fits in nicely before I tackle GCBC.

I stayed up late last night to read more. There is so much great in depth info in the book. Wheat germ agglutinin has an insulin-like action and also contributes to leptin resistance... explains a lot! Seeing confirmation of my own experiences like that, is well, just wow!

I'm a bit bemused by what they have to say about dairy though- very little and what they do say seems a bit contradictory.

The stuff about infections is a bit unnerving, since I have a long term history of depression/ dysthymia and am currently taking tryptophan.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 05-03-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Raen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I've read the whole of section 1 today, it's rivetting stuff and him describing the issues he had when he did paleo with veg as the only carb source is similar to my own, so I am very hopeful this can help me.
    I haven't gotten the book yet (it's on my list), but can you briefly describe what problems you have with just veggie carbs? I don't do well with a VLC diet, either, I was just wondering. I'm currently eating about 1 serving of rice and 1 serving of regular potatoes a week, and considering increasing that.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    I haven't gotten the book yet (it's on my list), but can you briefly describe what problems you have with just veggie carbs? I don't do well with a VLC diet, either, I was just wondering. I'm currently eating about 1 serving of rice and 1 serving of regular potatoes a week, and considering increasing that.
    PHD recommends about two servings per day of white rice, potatoes, or other non-gluten carbs (no sugar though). That, and the vitamin supplement recommendations, are the main differences between PHD and a standard paleo approach. In about 15 minutes I'm having lemon / EVOO on yukon gold potatoes with a huge all natural sausage and a fresh pickle, for an awesome PHD lunch.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    I have ongoing issues with fatigue and depression, which worsened when I did a whole30 with no fruit and no starchy veg. Currently I am aiming for some starchy veg and some berries each day and seeing how that works out for me. I don't know if it is the proportions recommended by the PHD.

Harold Whitman

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I have ongoing issues with fatigue and depression, which worsened when I did a whole30 with no fruit and no starchy veg. Currently I am aiming for some starchy veg and some berries each day and seeing how that works out for me. I don't know if it is the proportions recommended by the PHD.
    why no starchy veg on whole 30? all they say is no white potatoes, I ate tons of sweet potato during mine.

Unless it was avoidance of nightshades?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    why no starchy veg on whole 30? all they say is no white potatoes, I ate tons of sweet potato during mine.

Unless it was avoidance of nightshades?
    Sweet potatoes are not nightshades anyway...
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast