Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 20

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    You can microwave sweet potatoes too - 5 min and they are done - open them up and add butter and they are awesome!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I don't own a microwave, lol! Not really interested in getting one, either.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I know I know it was out there I was just too stuck in my ways, I guess. Besides, your journal is more about you trying to gain weight/muscle isn’t it? So I saw all your white-rice-eatin’ as fatassery.

Totally hypocritical considering I stuff my face with ice cream. I swear, I can be really selective on the things I choose to place importance on. Bone broth? Meh, ice cream? Yes sir.
    You have a problem with ice cream, I have a problem with the goddam cottage cheese, chocolate and nuts. I can eat it all into oblivion.

Experiment with some L-Tryptophan (get it on iherb.com or something), it supposed to help with carb craving.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    You have a problem with ice cream, I have a problem with the goddam cottage cheese, chocolate and nuts. I can eat it all into oblivion.

Experiment with some L-Tryptophan (get it on iherb.com or something), it supposed to help with carb craving.
    Isn't that the crap that makes you sleepy? I find that I, too, have less carb cravings when I am sleepy and passed out on the couch.

Jac
    Jac is online now Senior Member
    FWIW - Today marks 10 weeks of Primal eating, and I'm still focused on healing so haven't done any counting or weighing - but I know now that I sleep better and lose weight using moderate fatty proteins, green veges and kumara (sweet potato variety). I found that I don't feel good or lose weight on VLC (I have 66lb to lose eventually). It's torture for me, and has absolutely no gains at the end of the day - there's no way I can work mentally or work out physically on VLC.

As I've begun to heal, I can also IF for up to 24 hours so far with no angst if I have eaten carbs pre-fast, and I don't seem to overeat if I have kumara in my break-fast meal. Also, the kumara is amazing with butter so it helps to get more fat into me!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'm dying to try some of those purple sweet potatoes from Japan - they just look so alien, it's awesome.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I just started the book and now I see why I lost 4lbs since last week. I started eating butter almost like a meal. By itself in slices. And I was eating 4 eggs cooked in coconut oil everyday. I've tested my ketone levels and they are very dark. This is because I've been eating mostly fats. I wasn't doing this on purpose or for any particular reason other then I was craving butter. But I lost 4lbs since last week. So now that I'm reading the book, I was basically following it. Oh and I also started eating kimchi everyday with my eggs. This combination is awesome.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I'm dying to try some of those purple sweet potatoes from Japan - they just look so alien, it's awesome.
    Same here Stabby, the purple ones are called Okinawa sweet potatoes, they look delicious. I've asked around for sites that have sweet potato seeds and I had no luck so far (they don't have them and they don't ship to Portugal in either case). One of them said to check growers in California.

If you can get some, let me know how they taste.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm now finishing up PHD and I can definitely put it right there with PB and WWGF as my three paleo recommendations - Mark for the easy read and including total lifestyle, Taubes for the lose-fat angle + science, and PHD for the overall picture laid in terms to convince a doctor. I'd give most people Mark or Taubes, but I'd give a doctor or a very smart + very skeptical person PHD.
    One interesting angle of PHD is that they give almost no space whatsoever specifically to weight loss strategies, an unusual choice in any book with "diet" in the title.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Their weight-loss strategy seems to be similar to the one that I would recommend. Why do we get fat in the first place? Gary Taubes makes some astute observations about the follies of the current paradigm and the fact that type of calories seems to matter a great deal in some situations, but he also misses the boat on the meta-issue, and that would be total body health. Perfect Health Diet is very similar to what I already considered to be a fairly good weight-loss diet in the first place. Using a "strategy" seems like something that one would do on the Dukan Diet or some other popular fad diet, but Perfect Health Diet strives for...well...perfection in health and what follows from that? Better body composition. The main issues in the accumulation of body fat are inflammation and all of its corollaries, most notably leptin resistance, insulin resistance (partially a corollary of inflammation), micronutrients, various toxins like grain lectins and endocrine-disruptors, thyroid-signaling and functioning, gut critters and gut integrity, which also tend to tie into everything else. There is some more that I don't really understand right now but needless to say, obesity is a disease of metabolic syndrome, and eating a healthy diet can help in reversing it. The general mindset of someone trying to lose weight is that they would like as much of it gone as quickly as possible, but as always with everything it is the sustainability of things that ultimately matters. When we make health numero uno we put ourselves on the best possible path for the future.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast