Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 15

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sure, go for it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    you must have a high rollin job to eat salmon and lamb chops... damn, i need to find a sugar daddy
    Well heeeeey there...

Still looking through the website, and absorbing the info.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Listed are sweet potato, yam, potato, white rice, and taro. I will add squashes. They say not to count stuff like broccoli because it is so slowly absorbing and has to little carbs the glucose will likely be devoured by gut bacteria.
    I assume plantain and cassava (yuca) fit in here?
    I have not read the book yet, it is in my queue, what is their position on legumes?

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I would put plantain and cassava as good starches, and also add breadfruit.

They aren't fans of legumes and say to avoid them.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Reading through I see that they are okay with rice noodles. I could go to my beloved vietnamese joint down on hester st. and not get weird looks from the ancient wait staff, and chef when I ask for the pho with tendon, minus the pho.

Although I am thinking that a lower carb primal style diet is still probably best for weight loss.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I do not believe for a second that 50g of carbs is any better than 100g. Atkins observes that people seem to be able to lose a fair bit of weight no matter what if they reduce it to 20g whereas they can't at 50 or 100. To that I say that it is the "Perfect Health Diet" and health is the goal, not just a perfect ass right here right now as quickly as possible. Fat melts away as a result of the restorations of metabolic homeostasis, which happens inevitably if we just try to be as healthy as possibly in every facet of health. They make a decent case that it is actually healthier to have about 100g of carbs than to have less, as long as a little time is spend in ketosis on a regular basis. This is accomplished by either intermittent fasting or fat-fasting (where only fat is consumed. And the best autophagy is that without protein too, apparently).

Not that rice noodles are all that healthy, but they're not going to do much harm.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I do not believe for a second that 50g of carbs is any better than 100g. Atkins observes that people seem to be able to lose a fair bit of weight no matter what if they reduce it to 20g whereas they can't at 50 or 100. To that I say that it is the "Perfect Health Diet" and health is the goal, not just a perfect ass right here right now as quickly as possible. Fat melts away as a result of the restorations of metabolic homeostasis, which happens inevitably if we just try to be as healthy as possibly in every facet of health. They make a decent case that it is actually healthier to have about 100g of carbs than to have less, as long as a little time is spend in ketosis on a regular basis. This is accomplished by either intermittent fasting or fat-fasting (where only fat is consumed. And the best autophagy is that without protein too, apparently).

Not that rice noodles are all that healthy, but they're not going to do much harm.
    I too hate to see people equating a faster weight loss diet with an optimal health diet.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    They make a decent case that it is actually healthier to have about 100g of carbs than to have less, as long as a little time is spend in ketosis on a regular basis. This is accomplished by either intermittent fasting or fat-fasting (where only fat is consumed. And the best autophagy is that without protein too, apparently).
    Agreed. I've found this to be true for me in my Primal journey. Much easier fat loss while IFing for 16-18 hours and eating 70-80 gm/carb than when I was eating vlc and counting calories--and IF is very sustainable for me.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Agreed. I've found this to be true for me in my Primal journey. Much easier fat loss while IFing for 16-18 hours and eating 70-80 gm/carb than when I was eating vlc and counting calories--and IF is very sustainable for me.
    This works for me, too.
    I wonder if there would be any benefit in the timing of carb ingestion. Maybe eat fat and protein through the afternoon and then a carb heavy (to a point) meal late in the day. I may try that sometime. I drink about 4 oz. of a fruit juice late in the evening to make sure I'm not in ketosis at bed time. I find I get to sleep much easier. More carbs later may replace that little ritual.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    This works for me, too.
    I wonder if there would be any benefit in the timing of carb ingestion. Maybe eat fat and protein through the afternoon and then a carb heavy (to a point) meal late in the day. I may try that sometime. I drink about 4 oz. of a fruit juice late in the evening to make sure I'm not in ketosis at bed time. I find I get to sleep much easier. More carbs later may replace that little ritual.
    Hmmm. Interesting?

Anyone else lose more weight eating more than 50g of carbs a day?

And how much fat loss are we talking here? Because I'm not down to that "last 10lbs." i've got more like 50lbs. to go at this point.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast