Thread: The Perfect Health Diet page 11

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Carrots are starchy?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Carrots are starchy?
    kind of. You can find out specific carbohydrates of specific foods at nutritiondata.self.com. For many foods they break down the carbs into specfic amounts of glucose and fructose. Starches have glucose...

Since you're in Portugal, I'm assuming Portugese is your first language. But just in case you're also comfortable with Spanish, I thought I'd toss out a few amazing spanish language paleo blogs:

Somatotropina (high level biochem...very very good though)
    Vida Paleo (beginner paleo by a biologist and MDA member....SerialSinner. coincidentally, I believe he started this thread ages ago)
    http://www.ketotic.com/ (english blog of Lucas who does somatotropina, above)

They all also have facebook fan pages, twitter feeds, etc.

Best,
    Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 04-04-2011 at 02:44 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

JPA
    Cilakat you don't like their starchy recommendation?

I'm a bit on the fence as well, but I'm willing to give this a try. Carrots and sweet potatoes I can compromise. Actual potatoes and rice... hmm, that can lead to other things (from personal experience). And I tend to have some binging problems (not just with sweet stuff).

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    For those interested, here is an email correspondance I had w/ Paul Jaminet about what counts as 'safe starches'. I've found PHD super helpful, but have felt that the starch recs are not really for everyone. (I believe they allow for variance in the level of starch, but the overall message from my understanding is that a significant amount (150g or so a day) is good for most people. That has not rung true for me thusfar so I'm just going w/ what works for me.)

Anyway, I wrote:
    I had a question on the safe starches. Would parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, celeriac and other root vegetables count as 'safe starches'? What about winter squash? I'm just interested to learn if there are any safe starches besides tapioca, white rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes. I just don't do well w/ potatoes or rice, and tapioca I've only used in baking. All 3 stimulate the urge to over-eat for me, and I'd love some other alternatives. I have a feeling I've got some metabolic issues going on that might make me a candidate for lower starch than you recommend, but just wanted to check and see what you thought about those root veggies.
    Paul replied:
    Hi Lauren,

All of those root vegetables are healthy and nutritious foods and we recommend them. However, many of them don't have a lot of calories, or have calories mostly in the form of sugars rather than starches. So we don't usually call them "safe starches." But they're great to eat!

You might want to check calorie levels at nutritiondata.com for your favorite foods. If you rely on those root vegetables for carbs you might find you're not getting very many calories.

People do vary in their response to foods for reasons that we don't fully understand. Usually food intolerances are fixable problems, but it can take a while to sort them out. In the meantime it's good to experiment to find foods that work for you.

If sugars work better for you than starches, then beets, onions, and carrots may be a little more calorie rich.

Best,
    Paul
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    I'm a bit on the fence as well, but I'm willing to give this a try. Carrots and sweet potatoes I can compromise. Actual potatoes and rice... hmm, that can lead to other things (from personal experience). And I tend to have some binging problems (not just with sweet stuff).

FWIW, I too have some binge issues that are absolutely triggered by starch consumption (esp potatoes, rice, tapioca--the 'safe' ones Paul recommends.) For me, strict avoidance is necessary for now for me to NOT binge. I think there is an emotional/mental component to this, so avoiding foods I know are triggers *for me* is really important. OTOH sweet potatoes have never really been a trigger for me, but eating them in any quantity leaves me longing for more starch. Carrots do not have the same effect (on me--we are all so unique.) I'd def. go w/ your gut and stick to the foods you don't think will trigger binge eating tendencies...

Just sharing in case its helpful. For those w/ binge and/or possible metabolic issues, I think its important to tread carefully w/ the add-in-starch recommendations. Try it out, see how you feel, but if it doesn't work for you, you can always try adding it again at a later point in time after you've done more healing IMO... From my reading and my own experience, it seems to me that lower carb/high fat/moderate protein (from both muscle and organ meats/connective tissue/gelatin) *may* be just right for some of us for a while (years) if we are working on healing metabolic issues, and starch may not be appropriate to add in in any quantity until we are healed. I would LOVE to talk more about these ideas folks--just fascinating to me...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

JPA
    I feel you sister.... me too... I don't think I can adhere long term to this whole starch thing, it could be dangerous when it comes to possible binging (or not). Basically it's like Primal but it's lowering even further the protein consumption so we can have room for more carbs. I'm only consuming or trying to consume more carbs now because I may be suffering from my thyroid (as I was one week in the hospital from a previous thread about the 455 cholesterol).

Even then, why not just get some avocado (it's a fruit right) or just sweet potatoes? Sweet potatoes are sweet and they're pretty cheap around here. Baked, grilled or cooked, I could eat them all day. That, and carrots, if carrots are considered starchy, could be my staple for trying this until I get a bit better.
    Last edited by JPA; 04-05-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Basically it's like Primal but it's lowering even further the protein consumption so we can have room for more carbs.
    This is an interesting variation on what I normally encounter, which is that protein recommendations remain fairly constant but carb and fat recommendations vary in relation to oneanother. Forgive me because I haven't read PHD yet but it's near the top of my reading list.

Here's one thing I particularly like about consuming more starches...it's the feel of the weight/volume of the water-filled starch food in my stomach...and/or the serotonin boost those foods give me. I've been having problems lately with moderate eating and sugar/wheat cravings...not sure the relationship but my stress levels have been through the roof the past few weeks. Sadly, it feels like I'm reverting back to old familiar behaviors. When I add the stress to the hyped-up catecholamine feeling from VLC eating...hmmm...it's dicey there.
    Last edited by Canarygirl; 04-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Canary girl, for a quick description of PHD recs check this out: Perfect Health Diet The Diet Lots of info on the blog you may find helpful and it will give you an overall idea of what the 'perfect health diet' is.
    My Before/After Pics

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    kind of. You can find out specific carbohydrates of specific foods at nutritiondata.self.com. For many foods they break down the carbs into specfic amounts of glucose and fructose. Starches have glucose...

Since you're in Portugal, I'm assuming Portugese is your first language. But just in case you're also comfortable with Spanish, I thought I'd toss out a few amazing spanish language paleo blogs:

Somatotropina (high level biochem...very very good though)
    Vida Paleo (beginner paleo by a biologist and MDA member....SerialSinner. coincidentally, I believe he started this thread ages ago)
    Ketotic - Glossary.com (english blog of Lucas who does somatotropina, above)

They all also have facebook fan pages, twitter feeds, etc.

Best,
    Katherine
    Thanks for the Spanish blogs, hopefully these will make it easier for me to explain to my family

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by confused_monkey View Post
    Thanks for the Spanish blogs, hopefully these will make it easier for me to explain to my family
    Glad to help. vidapaleo.com is perfect for 'beginner' primal/paleo. The radio interviews (his last two posts, I think) are excellent as he is debating a conventionally trained nutritionist.

This is another one. More lifestyle/recipe oriented. Very basic:
    Me gusta estar bien

What's up with all of the Peruvian Paleo blogs?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast