Thread: Vitamin D and Zinc page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D and Zinc

Primal Fuel
    I was trying to buy supplements using a 25 dollar gift card that I have today (not that I neccesarily want to use all of it up) and I was looking at D and Zinc. I saw one that said something like New Chapter GrowBone and was told that it had D3, calcium, and something else. I think it was like 24 dollars on sale, and 20 percent off because I work there. What do you think?

And also, Zinc? Why do I need it? What will it make me feel (if anything?) and what am I looking for exactly when shopping for it? Thaaaaanks guys.

-写
    Last edited by ikaika; 09-12-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    Little Saiyan

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Zinc is important for tissue healing, reducing inflammation and you may feel happier. There is plenty of it in meat but some people feel that more is better to a point. 20mg a day seems like a good dose, more than that and it can interfere with copper utilization.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Zinc is important for tissue healing, reducing inflammation and you may feel happier. There is plenty of it in meat but some people feel that more is better to a point. 20mg a day seems like a good dose, more than that and it can interfere with copper utilization.
    +1 Some people need more. If they're experiencing slow wound healing (or really any assault to the skin), or certain symptoms related to affect, or if pregnant or eating a huge amount of fiber, more zinc is helpful. If someone is totally primal and still having acne, that's an indication that more zinc or D are needed.

Please don't get any expensive combo supplements - like the new chapter one.

Plain ole' oil based D3 is good. And zinc only if you need it. You can track your diet and symptoms to see what you need. For me, meat alone doesn't have enough zinc. If I were eating organ meats or oysters I'd get there, but I'm not.

Also, iirc, it takes zinc doses of 50 or so mg per day to interfere with copper absorption so I woudln't worry below that amount - but still, don't take that much if you don't need it. Stick with lower doses.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Hi cillakat - you're such a great resource about supplementation! I have a question about zinc - I started taking it about a month ago in doses of 50mg a day in order to stave off more stretch marks as I lose weight, because I read about how zinc deficiency can cause itchy/dry skin from the inside-out and contribute to stretch marks. In fact, whenever I noticed a new stretch mark before, it was usually accompanied by an itchy sensation that felt like it was deeper in the skin and not on the surface. Since I've started taking the zinc supplements, these itchy feelings are mostly gone, and I think any "new" stretch marks are just older ones becoming more prominent with fat receding/shrinking. Would you say it's not really necessary to take that much? Please not that my stretch marks are reeaaaally bad and I don't eat a lot of red meat, I eat more chicken and eggs. How important is it to moisturize your skin on the outside rather than from the inside?

I also noticed that my hair has gotten a little thinner up top, but I'm not sure if that's due to the zinc or this crazy hair treatment I tried around the same time (and have since quit).

I got D from 'Now' that is 1000 mg i think. I chose it because it was the only one in olive oil as opposed to safflower or cottonseed oil. Cottonseed oil... come on...!

-写

I became frightened of Zinc and ran away. After more study, will return
    Almost bought oysters, though!
    Little Saiyan

Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    Hi cillakat - you're such a great resource about supplementation! I have a question about zinc - I started taking it about a month ago in doses of 50mg
    This is too much. Please reduce your zinc intake to approx 20-30 mg per day from all sources.

Moisturizing on the outside has no effect - none - on stretchmark formation. Stretch marks do not form from weight loss, they become visible as the skin isn't being stretched taut.

I also noticed that my hair has gotten a little thinner up top, but I'm not sure if that's due to the zinc or this crazy hair treatment I tried around the same time (and have since quit).
    Thinning hair in women is typically iron deficiency (you don't eat much red meat), not enough b6, biotin, and folic acid.

Do you take a multi? See my links below to see what I take....Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One.

Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    I got D from 'Now' that is 1000 mg i think. I chose it because it was the only one in olive oil as opposed to safflower or cottonseed oil. Cottonseed oil... come on...!
    I know, right? Cottonseed oil? Gah.

The D you bought is 1000 IU, not mg. 1000 IU vitamin d3= 25 micrograms/mcg/g.

Just be sure to take enough.

K

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I know, right? Cottonseed oil? Gah.

The D you bought is 1000 IU, not mg. 1000 IU vitamin d3= 25 micrograms/mcg/g.

Just be sure to take enough.

K
    Thanks Kat-- good eye! I know you're the Vitamin D go-to... but I don't want you to feel bombarded here! I do wonder, though, when I'm looking at your VitD guide, and it says the units in the US are ng? How does that pertain to my IU? I'm still looking. I may have an epiphany in a sec.

edit: Bing! I found it. Ever-so-blatant on the document.

edit2:

☑ 1,000 IU (25 mcg) per 25 lbs body weight per day is a very reasonable dose of
    D3 for someone who avoid sun by
    → working indoors midday
    → wearing clothes midday
    → avoiding sun midday (too hot etc)
    → wearing any amount of sunscreen midday
    So, as a 125 pound being, 5 of these pills per day?? Assuming I'm indoors and all that? Today I only took one-- but I was roofing for like 4 hours during midday (eep!).

PS thanks again
    Last edited by ikaika; 09-13-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: epiphany
    Little Saiyan

Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    So, as a 125 pound being, 5 of these pills per day?? Assuming I'm indoors and all that? Today I only took one-- but I was roofing for like 4 hours during midday (eep!).
    5, 1000 IU gel caps....

But do save up and test your levels. Not everyone needs that much.

K