Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCOS - Need Advice: Symptoms & Tests? page 2

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I too was diagnosed with PCOS. The diagnosis came through the symptoms rather than any tests. ( I had had plenty of tests trying to determine infertility. ) I was put on BCP and metformin. Right now I am breastfeeding so I am not on any meds. I have been primal for over 3 months now and am loving the benefits. I am curious how things will go once I wean, but sure hope to avoid the meds. I recommend SoulCysters also.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Was re-reading my copy of Magnesium Miracle yesterday, and PCOS was listed as a symptom of deficiency. Don't know if this is true, since imo if your tool is a hammer everything looks like a nail, but since mag. deficiency seems to be so prevalent it might be worth looking into.

musajen is offline Junior Member
    I've recently been diagnosed as PCOS (common symptoms) and it was determined that my insulin levels and testosterone levels are high (not uber, but something that could become a more diabolical issue). My doc had me try metformin and I had some unpleasant reactions that warranted I stop taking it. Now my doc is talking about having me try Actos, another insulin resistance drug.

My tests were run before starting the 30 day challenge but I seem to be having success dropping weight and I feel good. So I'm hesitant to try meds again. I take vitamin d and am starting to workout more consistently and my diet has been fairly low carb.

Do you have an opinion on trying another drug? My doc also floated the idea of birth control for the elevated testosterone and I'm considering it but hesitant. Are there any other natural alternatives I could try first?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musajen View Post
    Do you have an opinion on trying another drug? My doc also floated the idea of birth control for the elevated testosterone and I'm considering it but hesitant. Are there any other natural alternatives I could try first?
    Saw palmetto. I can't recall the dose but it's using the standardized extract and working up to a dose with a noticable effect (though not more than 9 'x' mg capsules), then cutting back one at a time to try to find a minimal effective dose.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I would be very wary of meds if, as you say, the PB plan seems to be working for you. Don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and all that.

Thinking out loud, if PB acts against insulin production/resistance, is there any danger of overdoing it? As in, is there such a thing as too LITTLE insulin??

Is there something - a symptom - that could be used as a guage? (E.g. for me it's absence/presence of monthly cycle - a good cue of things going well or not).

You mention high testosterone - HOW high? Where did they pick the figures for normal vs abnormal? Are they talking about free or total testosterone? (I think my overall testosterone level is "normal", but a higher proportion is floating around unaccompanied and getting into mischief. It's usually attached to SHBG - sex hormone binding globulin).

I hate telling people what to do, but I really really really don't like the idea of messing with such a complex hormonal web. Really really really REALLY Plus some Pills are said to worsen insulin resistance, and can cause other symptoms such as weight gain. I took various brands for several years; with hindsight I was gaining weight, suffering worsening depressive episodes, symptoms kept worsening.....

You could look into several herbal remedies.
    Agnus castus is said to act on the pituitary gland, and works to balance out all the different hormones. It didn't do anything for me, but I know of ladies who had great success (overcoming infertility).
    Saw palmetto is the one I'm currently using with great success. I *think* it acts more directly on testosterone, as it is sold as a prostate-supporting supplement!!

Would your doc be willing to re-run the tests after the 30 day challenge perhaps?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Saw palmetto. I can't recall the dose but it's using the standardized extract and working up to a dose with a noticable effect (though not more than 9 'x' mg capsules), then cutting back one at a time to try to find a minimal effective dose.
    Your doc (did I mention I lurve your docs?) said 300mg; I could only find 320mg capsules but they work

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PCOS is strongly linked to autoimmune thyroiditis/Hashimoto's:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_81006734/

I recommend emailing these folks for a list of practitioners trained in functional endocrinology:
    http://www.thyroidbook.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12