Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega-3 fish oil - are these ingredients okay, and which of the two would you choose? page

Christina* is offline Senior Member

Omega-3 fish oil - are these ingredients okay, and which of the two would you choose?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to primal eating. I've been eating primal since late last spring and have never felt better! I'm currently doing the 30 day challenge.

I had some questions about fish oil supplements. I've found two great looking fish oil supps and the thing I like about them is that they're pretty potent, which means fewer pills/tsps to take (depending on whether it's liquid or capsule). Two questions:

1) Do these ingredients look okay?

It comes in softgels and liquid:

Softgel ingredients: pharmaceutical quality fish oil, natural lemon flavour, vitamin E, rosemary extract, vitamin C, thyme oil.
    Softgel ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, purified water.

Liquid form ingredients: concentrated pharmaceutical quality herring oil, thyme oil, rosemary extract, natural lemon oil, ascorbyl palmitate, natural tocopherols.

2) There are two formulas, a regular one that is 750 EPA/500 DHA and a higher potency one that is 1500 EPA/500 DHA. Between these two, which would you pick? I like that the second offers a greater amount of EPA and DHA, but is that ratio alright?

TIA!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    They both have the unfortunate situation of more EPA than DHA. I'd use one that has more DHA than EPA. In my sig line are some fish/fish oil links.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...kat#post202354

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat
    Seafood contains more DHA than EPA with rare exception. Our bodies evolved with higher DHA than EPA requirements which is why we can convert DHA to EPA if needed.

Also, excessive EPA can block synthesis of other EFAs

Expensive fish oil that is literally *no* different in any way than less epensive fish oil

The main things to consider are

DHA:EPA ratio (we want more DHA than EPA approx 1-1.5:1)
    freshness (highest product turnover)
    concentration - most of us will want products that have more DHA and EPA so we can take fewer caps
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...375#post150375
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat
    Don't ever spend on the pricey 'certified' versions. There are only a few processors of fish oil supplements worldwide and they are all molecularly distilling which means they all have the same level of purity. The only exceptions are wild alasakan salmon oil which isn't molecularly distilled and doesn't need to be and the few boutique cod liver oils and fermented cod liver oils that also don't need to be molecularly distilled.

The most important things to know about fish oil:
    high turnover - buy a brand from a store or online vendor that sells *a lot*
    ratios - in a biologically appropriate primal diet we'd take in more DHA than EPA. fish naturally supplies us with more DHA than EPA but because patentability is improved if one component of a natural substance can be isolated, goal of many researchers is to isolate a substance (in this case EPA) and create patentable formulas. because the research was occuring with non-natural ratios (on purpose), manufacturing stuck with these unnatural ratios. So now we see almost all fish oils containing a 1.5:1 epa to dha ratio when the reverse would be a better idea

I now use Now DHA-500 which contains 500 mg DHA and 250 mg EPA per 1g capsule. 750 mg lcpufa Ω3 per 1000 mg is a great ratio. It means I can take a few per day instead of 6-10.
    Last edited by cillakat; 09-11-2010 at 08:23 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I was using Nordic Naturals ProOmega for some time (after I got off raw veganism) it says this about ProOmega- Nordic Naturals™ ProOmega has the least EPA with an EPAHA ratio of 1.4:1 with 350 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per 1000 mg capsule. I use the fermented stuff from Green Pastures and Premier Labs which is cod liver oil because I want the preformed vitamin A since I supplement with emulsified D but that's not giving one high DHA. If I get pregnant again I will start using ProOmega again along with the CLO.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    They both have the unfortunate situation of more EPA than DHA. I'd use one that has more DHA than EPA. In my sig line are some fish/fish oil links.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...kat#post202354

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...375#post150375
    Thank you! I just checked out the link in your sig. I didn't realize that we want more DHA than EPA... I keep reading different things. It's confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by Primallady View Post
    I was using Nordic Naturals ProOmega for some time (after I got off raw veganism) it says this about ProOmega- Nordic Naturals™ ProOmega has the least EPA with an EPAHA ratio of 1.4:1 with 350 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per 1000 mg capsule.
    There are lots of options with higher DHA. I have an (unfinished) doc in my sig line links that has a variety of higher DHA fish oil options.

Best,
    Katherine

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of options with higher DHA. I have an (unfinished) doc in my sig line links that has a variety of higher DHA fish oil options.

Best,
    Katherine
    Thanks- I just had a look- will check into those - we have used Barleans and the Nordic Naturals DHA. I just checked the Garden of Life CLO bottle and it contains more DHA than EPA which is what I give my kids although we switch between that and other brands. I give my 6 year old straight kids DHA as well and my older daughter's who were also recovering raw vegans did several rounds of straight DHA.

Best,
    Katherine
    I'm looking at your docs now and see some of your recs. Thank you for that, and for linking the posts above! I seriously thought higher EPA was the way I was supposed to go - every single supplement I saw in store today had a higher ratio of EPA to DHA and one of the ones listed above (the one with 1500:500 EPA/DHA) said it was specifically formulated to be that way. I will have to see if there is a higher DHA one I can find here in Canada.

One question: I know that high EPA, low DHA formulas are often sold for mood (depression, anxiety, etc.). Would having one with a higher ratio of DHA to EPA negatively affect mood if one is prone to anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Christina* View Post
    I'm looking at your docs now and see some of your recs. Thank you for that, and for linking the posts above! I seriously thought higher EPA was the way I was supposed to go - every single supplement I saw in store today had a higher ratio of EPA to DHA and one of the ones listed above (the one with 1500:500 EPA/DHA) said it was specifically formulated to be that way. I will have to see if there is a higher DHA one I can find here in Canada.

One question: I know that high EPA, low DHA formulas are often sold for mood (depression, anxiety, etc.). Would having one with a higher ratio of DHA to EPA negatively affect mood if one is prone to anxiety?
    It will probably help it. The reason you see so many with higher EPA ratios is b/c when scientists are studying a substance, the goal is generally to isolate a tiny, specific portion of the substance - one that has a very isolated, specific action. Why? B/c when it increases patentability. Better patents = better chance of big money on the other side.

Because various labs were using variously ratio'd fish oil, that's what companies stuck with as fish oil became huge. It's really always better to stick with what nature supplies.

High EPA can mess sh*t up. Stick with 'naturally occuring' ratios, your body will make EPA as needed from DHA - if it needs more.

Keep in mind that ordering from iherb.com, even considering exchange rates etc often ends up to be cheaper...my SIL orders from Florence, Italy, I have friends that order from Cananda. One friend that orders now from Norway. Still works out better even with shipping, exchange, customs etc.

Longquan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just checked my fishoil, 400 DHA, 600 EPA
    So I thought, if Mark wrote about the importance of the ration, surely his own brand must be great. But his oil also contains more EPA than DHA...

@cillakat
    I can't see your signature with those links, do I have my profile settings to be able to see sigs and avatars?

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast