Thread: I need a moose roast recipe page

Primallady is offline Senior Member

I need a moose roast recipe

Primal Fuel
    Just took a large moose rump out of freezer- have never made a moose roast before- any good tried and true recipes?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I haven't cooked a moose roast, but I regularly eat elk and sometimes deer. I find with any wild, venison-type meat, you have to be careful about it drying out because it has a lot less fat than beef. You can season it similarly, but you will want to cook it at a lower temperature for a longer time or do it pot roast style (either in your oven or your slow cooker). I like to do a rub for my roasts with dry Keens mustard--no, really, it's good--cracked black pepper, and whatever seasonings fit my mood. The mustard forms a crust that helps seal the meat, and it does not taste mustardy at all when it is cooked.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Thanks- we eat venison, reindeer,elk and moose too but I have never dealt with a rump roast. Is it like roast beef? I usually flash sear game and serve it almost raw (it's purple on the inside) with a roast I would be cooking it through which worries me, will it be tender? I also don't have a crockpot so this would be an oven thing in a Le Crueset.....

I'd do it like a pot roast in that case. I did an elk roast the other day in my slow cooker, and it was fall-apart tender. The oven method is pretty similar and should also yield a very tender roast. You can braise it first to seal it, or do the mustard thing. Then I would put it in your Crueset with a bit of either water or stock (stock is better if you have it). Cover it and cook it for quite a while at a low temperature, probably 3-4 hours. You can put some vegetables in with it. I like to add some root veg like carrots or parsnips and some onions (halved or quartered depending on how big they are). Use your meat thermometer as a guide for how done it is. Roasts don't have to be cooked through necessarily.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Thanks, I am going to try that with some homemade lamb stock I have on hand- one recipe I looked up used red wine but I don't have nay on hand otherwise I think it would be nice- some wild mushrooms would be fitting too. I made some beef stew with the lamb stock the other day and I liked it better than using beef stock!

Mmmmm. Wild mushrooms, yes! I love using different stock with meats. It adds extra subtleties in the flavour. Lamb stock sounds delish.

Owly's Journal

yeah, the lamb stock was outrageous- I used lamb shanks and cooked the whole thing for over 24 hours with leeks, onions, carrot and celery , some vinegar and strained it. It formed a nice gel and was super delish. Really added flavour to soups/stews. This week is elk broth- I enjoy game stocks. I remember as a recovering vegan over 20 years ago eating a game stock in the middle of winter in Sweden and feeling super nourished/revitalised. We used to go to the same restaurant daily for lunch to get that game consomme.