Thread: Apples anyone? page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Talking Apples anyone?

Shop Now
    So my husband made an 'apple pizza' for the neighbors, has cookie and peanut butter and all other types of evilness in it. They are yummy, but now just way too sweet for my taste.

So, what to do with the leftover apples? Fry them in bacon fat of course.

I fried them until golden brown and crispy, the skins too. The skins are like candy almost.

Half I sprinkled with cinnamon, the other half, with shredded cheese. So good! And now? No craving for the junk food sitting on the counter. Thank you yummy fat and sweet apples!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Oh Nutmeg, this sounds delicious. I was just getting a hankering for some apples. These would be good with a nice juicy pork chop.

Oh, they would be a perfect compliment to a pork chop. Mmmmmmm

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    How did you make them crispy? I have heard of fried apples before but anytime I have tried doing anything with apples and heat i basically got apple sauce. But this sounds amazing. Apples are probably one of my favourite foods, only I haven't been eating as many lately to try to bring my carbs closer to ketosis.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

I fried them in the bacon grease on a medium heat, the apples themselves stay a little mushy, but take them out while they atill have their shape, it only takes about a minute or so. The skins get crispy. We have an apple corer, peeler, slicer- which is what DH used to prepare the apples for his dessert. So the peel comes off in one long strip, it is perfect for frying.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I've done apples and onions with nutmeg to go with pork. Soooooo tasty. Hmmmm. I have apples, strawberries, rhubarb, and almond flour. I sense a primal fruit crumble in the near future.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    I just tried making fried apples. Very tasty, but not crisp and golden as NutMeg described. i pulled them out of the pan because they were getting too soft and I didn't want apple sauce with bacon fat .
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I have apples, strawberries, rhubarb, and almond flour. I sense a primal fruit crumble in the near future.
    I was thinking of trying the clafouti recipe from the PB cookbook with apples (and maybe a few fresh cranberries as that harvest is coming in now too) instead of the peaches. Your combination would work well too I think.

I cook mine in the cast iron skillet on a pretty high temp, that might be why they come out crispier.

juliejmcmurray is offline Junior Member
    @nutmeg

By the time I'm at post #9, I'm literally drooling. Let me try out what you hv suggested here.