Thread: Hardgainer/Ectomorph Tips page

ckayy is offline Member

Talking Hardgainer/Ectomorph Tips

Primal Fuel
    I'm an ectomorph that has a hard time putting on weight. I want to gain 15-20 lbs. of muscle. I already have a training routine set for myself, but I find it really hard to gain weight following primal principles.

How can I increase my calorie intake following primal blueprint principles?

Could you guys give me some meal tips/ideas for gaining weight following PB principles?

If I'm trying to gain weight, should I be eating a primal meal every 3 hours or should I just eat a lot whenever I get hungry?

And finally, just throw some general ectomorph/hardgainer tips at me that follow PB rules, I'm just having a hard time lol. I think I might be going crazy.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ckayy; 09-11-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

ckayy is offline Member
    I read that thread twice through, it has some good information. But I don't think (at least I don't remember lol) if it specifically answers the all the questions I posted above.

Thanks!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if you've already read Mark's blog post too: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-...-build-muscle/

Lately I've been trying to incorporate LeanGains recommendations:
    On workout days, I often have a medium-sized serving of sweet potato or winter squash/pumpkin and eat slightly lower fat, especially post workout. On rest days, I eat high fat, but try to eat lower overall calories. I also generally follow the recommendation to fast for 16 hours daily (for me, usually from dinner to lunch the next day).

I prefer eating larger meals and eating until I am pleasantly full. I tried eating beyond satisfaction to gain some muscle for a few months, but ended up putting on too much fat for my tastes. If you're working out correctly to stimulate muscle growth, appetite will follow; let it be your guide.

Quote Originally Posted by ckayy View Post
    I'm an ectomorph that has a hard time putting on weight. I want to gain 15-20 lbs. of muscle. I already have a training routine set for myself, but I find it really hard to gain weight following primal principles.

How can I increase my calorie intake following primal blueprint principles?

Could you guys give me some meal tips/ideas for gaining weight following PB principles?

If I'm trying to gain weight, should I be eating a primal meal every 3 hours or should I just eat a lot whenever I get hungry?

And finally, just throw some general ectomorph/hardgainer tips at me that follow PB rules, I'm just having a hard time lol. I think I might be going crazy.

Thanks!

If I want to get more fat and calories in I mix up a fat bomb: Half a can of coconut milk, a cup of heavy cream, an egg, a splash of vanilla extract and I usually put in a scoop of vanilla whey protein.

High fat foods such as again coconut, fatty meat, and avacado would help I'm sure.

I say eat when you are hungry and if you can't pack down the food then try to eat calorie and fat dense foods.

If you gain 10 pounds of pure muscle a year I think you had a good year. That is pure muscle not just your weight because that would include fat. So your probably two years out from your goal.

My buddie had a horrible time gaining weight so he ended up with a weight gainer to up his daily caloric intake 2000 calories a day on top of his normal meals. You could get a cheap whey protein and make fat bombs for cheaper then a weight gainer full of other crap though. I don't know what you look like so I can't say for sure what will work. Experiment and listen to your body. Patience and hard work my friend. Good luck
    "Live Free or Die"

ckayy is offline Member
    Here's a gainer shake that I'm thinking about making, would it be okay to drink this 3 times a day? I would be drinking it for breakfast, post workout shake, and before bed.

Gainer shake:
    1 scoop of protein powder
    1 tablespoon of flax oil
    1/2 frozen banana
    1.5 cups of almond milk
    1 cup of frozen berries

roughly 430 calories

Just a few questions about it here:

Does this shake follow PB principles?

And if I drink it 3 times a day, that would mean 3 cups of mixed berries and a banana and a half, everyday. Is this too much fruit?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ckayy; 09-12-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Some people might say it is too much fruit but I don't think it is. Reason being you are trying to gain weight. If you were trying to lose weight I wouldn't recommend it because of all of the carbs.

I personally would swap out the flax oil for fish oil. Or I would get a good fish oil capsule if the liquid is to much for you.

Also make sure you avoid a protein powder that has soy in it. Optimum nutrition (bodybuilding.com) has a good pure whey powder that is pretty damn cheap.

Again some people may say three times a day is too much, but like I said with my friend it took alot of extra calories for him to gain weight. If you can't choke down steaks all day then a calorie packed shake might be what you need. Yet again I don't know you so I can't say for sure
    "Live Free or Die"