Thread: Any other Primal Firefighters out there? How are YOU training? page

GaTo is offline Member

Any other Primal Firefighter/Police Officers out there? How are YOU training?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm sure we have a couple out there, so where are you? I'm a Certified Paramedic/Firefighter and i'm currently doing the Simple Fit plan. I'm thinking about mixing it up as I miss working out in a weight room. My main goal is to shed a couple of pounds.

What does your workout regiment look like?
    Last edited by GaTo; 09-12-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: decided to add Police personnel to the thread

GaTo is offline Member
    Bumping this up... Also i'm interested in what any Police Officers have to say.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I do kettlebells, sand bag, medicine ball, sledgehammer, and body weight stuff. I try to mix things up, using a little of everything. I hate being in the gym and do everything in my back yard, so it is a little limiting in that i can't really lift super heavy(dead lifts etc.). But i try to keep it pretty high intensity, and i've been working more tabatas in lately.

LEO by the way, not a firefighter (damn firefighters....everyone loves a firefighter and everyone hates the cops!!!)

4fahrenheit is offline Junior Member
    i do a combination of crossfit, swimming, and cpat based strength training. i workout an hour or so a day as my schedule allows. am a volunteer firefighter trying to go career. currently dispatch 911 on the graveyard shift.

GaTo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I do kettlebells, sand bag, medicine ball, sledgehammer, and body weight stuff. I try to mix things up, using a little of everything. I hate being in the gym and do everything in my back yard, so it is a little limiting in that i can't really lift super heavy(dead lifts etc.). But i try to keep it pretty high intensity, and i've been working more tabatas in lately.

LEO by the way, not a firefighter (damn firefighters....everyone loves a firefighter and everyone hates the cops!!!)
    Its true everyone does love a firefighter... thanks for the reply... btw you are literally the closest member living to me that i've met on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by 4fahrenheit View Post
    i do a combination of crossfit, swimming, and cpat based strength training. i workout an hour or so a day as my schedule allows. am a volunteer firefighter trying to go career. currently dispatch 911 on the graveyard shift.
    I really want to start getting into swimming, is there a certain program you follow or do you just jump in and have some fun.

Also are you guys both Primal or Paleo?

I'm assuming you guys up the carbs due to the extra expenditure from the training.

I just joined a local MMA gym here and did a 4 hour session (i'm gonna be dead in 2 days lol) so i'm going to need to up my carb numbers and i'm trying to figure out what range others are using

4fahrenheit is offline Junior Member
    i started crossfit and paleo in june, and recently read the primal blueprint. im probably about 80% paleo/primal. working up to 100% but sometimes the carbs are unavoidable. especially with the chaos shift work can bring. i have found as long as im getting my protein and eating plenty of veggies, i don't crave the carbs like i used to. i haven't had pasta in over 3 months, though i've cheated and had pizza and a sandwich recently. i don't pay attention to the numbers (yeah, im a bit lazy) but i go by how my body feels. i love to cook so i spend a lot of time with food prep and looking up ideas for recipes.

as for swimming, i dont really follow a set plan. its more relaxing for me. i usually swim about 1000 meters and use fins and a kickboard to focus on various body parts as well as just swimming regular laps. i use it mostly for cardio and non-impact training, and it gives my body a break from the abuse of lifting and crossfit. i' have noticed that swimming helps me regulate my breathing better when im wearing my scott pack. with the extra training for cpat right now, my lap swims have become a little less frequent. just not enough time some days.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't really bumped up my carbs any, but i'm not doing 4 hour MMA sessions. That's just brutal.

And yea, I haven't seen too many south floridians on here either. We do seem to be in the minority.

cafyrman is offline Junior Member
    What kind of firefighter? My screen name should tip you off to my career. I work doing the full range -- highrise to wildland. Been at it for 20 years paid now. I'm currently trying to get qualified as a Division Supervisor, which means (to me anyway) that I should be able to keep up with the Hotshots. I have a way to go to meet that goal.

A fellow firefighter turned me on to MDA a few months ago. Since then I've changed my diet to being much more primal. It's tough at work or when I'm on the road for fires or classes. Luckily, my wife is on board, so that's helped at home.

My workout the past few years has been largely hiking with a weighted backpack (~45 lbs.) on hills on my days off. My dog needs a walk anyway. Unfortunately, I'm in better shape than him now, so it's a drag. Sometimes literally. To me, doing hills with weights most closely simulates the work of a wildland firefighter. Their annual fitness test includes a 3 mile (flat ground) hike with a 45 lb pack in 45 minutes or less.

At work, I do stairs rather than run. Again, it simulates climbing hills or stairs. I don't carry a pack because I need to get back to the buggy quickly in the event of a call.

For lifting, I've been doing essentially a Body by Science workout. Full body 1 set to failure, 1-2 x week. Leg press, lat pull down, chest press, overhead press, and seated row. As I get stronger, I'll break that up more.

Started back into my hiking/stairs routine harder in June. Started primal and lifting in July. In June I was 197 lbs. I'm now 177 lbs. My waist has gone from 40.5 inches to around 37 inches. I'm a lot stronger now as well. And my endurance is way up. But... I still have a long, long way to go.

Oh yeah... and I'm a chief now, so I also practice flying off the handle and jumping to conclusions, as well as hand strength to be able to key the mic!

Wolverine155 is offline Junior Member
    Im a law enforcement officer! One thing about firemen, they eat till they are tired and sleep till they are hungry! just a little cop humor... As a SWAT operator primal workouts are the best. I focus on movements not exercises... Please read my post about Caveman Workouts. That article in Fitness Rx magazine is the basic workout I have been following for about a month now and I find it awesome. I think its the September issue.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Hi - Sydney firefighter here. I do a lot of bodyweight exercises, following the usual suspects. Kettlebells, cross fit, and a bit of yoga in addition to some of the drills we do at work.

Sydney is looking to be a scorcher this summer, so I think I will be busy.