Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autism and Vitamin D page

cillakat is offline Senior Member

Autism and Vitamin D

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    crossposted in the Vitamin D thread....

Autism and Vitamin D

Emily Deans, MD is sharing John Cannell's (MD) brilliant (and likely correct) theory that vitamin D deficiency is fueling the autism epidemic
    http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2010/09/autism-and-vitamin-d.html
    His major points (he has several more, but I'll put up some of the more compelling ones):

1) Autism is increasing, as is vitamin D deficiency, and the autism epidemic came upon us at the same time the major health authorities advised us to eschew the sun.

2) Vitamin D is likely central to brain development as a key helper in neural development and neuroprotection. In addition, autism is likely mediated by inflammation, and vitamin D is a key player in anti-inflammatory processes. Also, vitamin D enables glutathione, the "master antioxidant," clear our system of free radicals, and glutathione also acts as a chelating agent to bind toxic heavy metals such as mercury, which kids with autism have a tough time clearing from their systems.

3) Williams syndrome, a chromosomal disease (among other things) results in abnormally high levels of circulating active vitamin D in early childhood, results in kids who are especially social and overfriendly - rather the opposite of autism symptoms.

4) During pregnancy, boys' brains are bathed in testosterone, and girls' brains in estrogen. Estrogen is known to have many vitamin D enhancing properties. This could account for the 4:1 ratio of boys to girls suffering from autism.

5) Studies show autism births occur most often in March, at the end of winter, when vitamin D levels would be lowest.

6) African Americans seem to suffer from a higher rate of autism, and they also have a higher rate of vitamin D deficiency than people with lighter skin. In Europe, the children of darker-skinned immigrants have higher rates of autism also.

7) Rickets, due to vitamin D deficiency, is characterized by hypotonia (poor muscle tone) and developmental delay, as is autism.

8) Autism seems to be higher among the kids of highly educated women, and they are more likely to follow guidelines for sun restriction for themselves and their children.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

maddie427 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing!!

I sometimes forget to check her blog since I can't get it on my Google reader, but I love the information she shares.

Editing to add this random commentary...

"8) Autism seems to be higher among the kids of highly educated women, and they are more likely to follow guidelines for sun restriction for themselves and their children."

This is why it is so important for us to continue spreading the word. When accurate information is provided, this is a demographic of the population that is known for making big shifts for themselves and their children. It breaks my heart because so many of these woman are doing everything they can to follow CW teachings, and they unknowingly could (most likely) be causing more bad than good. Obviously it is just important for everyone, but just my random thoughts.
    Last edited by maddie427; 09-11-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maddie427 View Post
    It breaks my heart because so many of these woman are doing everything they can to follow CW teachings, and they unknowingly could (most likely) be causing more bad than good. Obviously it is just important for everyone, but just my random thoughts.
    Me too. It causes me to avoid pregnant family members who aren't interested in hearing about Vitamin D.

I just left some vitamin D on the doorstep of my dear neighbor. She's in her fifth year of residency and had two pregnancies during her intense medschool/residence period. Her first child has stuff. Just like my kids have stuff - I didn't know about D at the time.

I'm bringing some D to the lab next week for the person who's research I'm helping with .....she's pregnant and not yet taking D.

*crosses fingers*

At least now we have the Hollis/Wagner study to wave around

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes forget to check her blog since I can't get it on my Google reader, but I love the information she shares.
    Weird, it works in Google Reader just fine for me... if I scroll to the very bottom of her page and click the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" it brings up the screen that lets me add it to Google Reader.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    Weird, it works in Google Reader just fine for me... if I scroll to the very bottom of her page and click the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" it brings up the screen that lets me add it to Google Reader.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    +1
    Hmm....I'll have to double-check...weird.

Hmm....I'll have to double-check...weird.
    Off topic, but I thought maybe you guys would be able to help. I went to her site, clicked on the link on the bottom, and a new window opened with pages of this..

"k rel='http://schemas.google.com/g/2005#feed' type='application/atom+xml' href='http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default'/><link rel='self' type='application/atom+xml' href='http://www.blogger.com/feeds/3045634714760830992/posts/default'/><link rel='alternate' type='text/html' href='http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/'/><link rel='hub' href='http://pubsubhubbub.appspot.co"

Any ideas on what might be going on? I ran into this with another blog, but I've been able to add them from going into Google Reader, but her blog doesn't come up in the search function. Thank you for any help!

Editing to say that I figured it out!
    Last edited by maddie427; 09-11-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I posted this to my FB page last night. I have several friends with children who are dealing with varying forms of autism. And now that I think about it, none would have been in the sun very often. Gamers. Indoor people. Or people who are so sensitive to sun that they are always covered up.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Mercifully at least some OBs in the CW school are pushing Vitamin D and Omega 3 pretty heavily. The way they pitched it to me (not that I needed them to convince me) was "It's at least as important as folic acid. Take X amount" (where X is a lot more than the too-low RDA)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Mercifully at least some OBs in the CW school are pushing Vitamin D and Omega 3 pretty heavily. The way they pitched it to me (not that I needed them to convince me) was "It's at least as important as folic acid. Take X amount" (where X is a lot more than the too-low RDA)
    and X is still too low. 4,000 IU in the Hollis/Wagner study improved results over 2,000 IU which improved things over 400 IU.

But the babies were still born vitamin D deficient. Most moms will need 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight - which of course means increasing dosage as weight increases. Certainly it's best to test blood levels but if that's not possible, please at least take 1000 IU per 25 lbs of prepregnancy weight and be sure to optimize dietary and supplemental magnesium.

K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast