Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick questions about Magnesium page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Quick questions about Magnesium

I used to take Magnesium in a chelated multi-mineral formula and thought that I was backing myself up with the supplementation, but it turned out that the Magnesium was in the form of Magnesium Oxide, which is completely useless for absorption. I've been having leg cramps at night when I stretch (sometimes even if I move my leg just a little bit) which are annoying, to say the least. I just wish to ask some questions to make sure I've got my head wrapped around this mineral.

1. Is Magnesium Oil a valid form of Magnesium supplementation? If it is, how will I be able to spray the correct dosage?

2. Due to their synergistic nature, I was wondering if I have to take Calcium along with Magnesium. If so, in what ratio and dosage should the supplementation of the two minerals be? Also, should I take the Calcium with the Magnesium, or take the Calcium in the day and Magnesium at night? On certain articles, I've read that the two minerals may actually negate the others effect if taken at the same time. Is there any truth to this?

3. For anyone else who supplements with Magnesium, have you had any differences in your sleep quality?

Thanks!
    Last edited by KG; 09-11-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    This web page might cast some light on the subject and clear up some things. http://www.health-science-spirit.com...mchloride.html
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Longquan is offline Member
    Robb Wolf said in one of his podcasts that Magnesium Oil is probably not that good...

I tried the oil that Mike Mahler sells. The first night I switched from my capsules to the oil I got severe leg cramps, but I thought it might just be because my body is not adjusted to the oil yet. The following weeks I didn't get any cramps.

Unfortunately, it seems I developed an allergeric reaction to it and my skin started to burn like crazy, even with very small dosages. I stopped it and am now back to my magnesium citrate capsules.

I think my sleep is better with the oral form, but that's just my experience. I don't know if the oil had any effect on my DHEA levels

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    The experience of users here is that is absolutely does work though some people do report the burning that longquan mentioned.

I take *a lot* of magnesium di malate, which is Jigsaw's time released magnesium formulation. I can't take any citrate ever, or glycinate. However, in spite of taking an excellent time released formulation, I am struggling constantly with leg cramps. They dont' fully cramp but the 'almost' cramp wakes me and I relax my legs and slightly stretch. It happens probably 10x a night. Magensium oil is next on my list. I'm thinking it might not be bad to do a little of both if tolerable. Oral mg seems to do all I need for keeping anxiety at bay and to reduce/eliminate muscle tension during the day but at night.....it's just not been enough lately. ETA: I did get relief from the nighttime muscle cramps by upping my supplementation to 1000 mg of magnesium dimalate - in divided doses - for a few days. Then I went back down to 125 mg 3x per day and am doing fine. On the occasion that I find myself getting close to muscle cramps during sleep (I wake before it happens), I'll take an extra magnesium before bed.

Excellent Mg threads. Also, don't underestimate the power of sufficient potassium.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...esium&p=165040
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d=1#post186902
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-11-2010 at 07:42 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post

1. Is Magnesium Oil a valid form of Magnesium supplementation? If it is, how will I be able to spray the correct dosage?
    Trial and error as best I can tell.

2. Due to their synergistic nature, I was wondering if I have to take Calcium along with Magnesium.
    They aren't so much synergistic as they are competitive. Think of calcium as the contractor and mg as the 'relaxer'. Ocassionally you'll here magnesium referred to as "nature's 'calcium channel blocker'". This is very accurate.

If so, in what ratio and dosage should the supplementation of the two minerals be?
    Thinking has changed signifciantly on this front. Once upon a time, it was generally assumed that a 2:1 ratio was appropriate. It must be recognized though that this was in the context of pandemic vitamin D deficiency in the US (and most of the world). It appears that with vitamin D sufficiency, calcium intake can and should be much lower than the RDI.

One succinct post on the topic...by William Davis, MD:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

I'm currently taking little to no additional calcium - messing around wtih total daily intakes of 250-500 mg calcium and about 500 mg Mg di Malate in the time release version from Jigsaw.

3. For anyone else who supplements with Magnesium, have you had any differences in your sleep quality?
    I hear over and over from friends who do struggle with sleep, that they benefit significantly from supplenting Mg.

Here are some posts on another forum that discuss topical Mg supplementation. Really it must *all* be read b/c at first it sounds as if they're saying Mg Chloride doesn't work, then upon further reading there is some compelling evidence posted that topical Mg does work for a variety of functions.

One poster to lean toward Mg Sulfate (epsom salts) due to cost, misses that you can buy Mg Chloride extremely cheaply as well.....no need to spend on "Magnesium Oil" - just buy nigari and add distilled water.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    How much potassium do you take Cillakat?

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    How much potassium do you take Cillakat?
    I try to get it all from my diet - keeping my K:kcal ratio at about 4:1. Sometimes my Na:K ratio is where I want it, but more often than not, it's not b/c I do add sodium to my foods, mostly in form of my beloved Maldon.

When I'm not quite getting there or when I have a super high sodium restaurant meal, I supplement as needed with Now Potassium Gluconate powder.

My potassium doc below has some good info but I haven't edited in a long time etc etc disclaimer disclaimer

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Thanks - do you have a rough idea of what your intake is? How do you know when you need to supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Thanks - do you have a rough idea of what your intake is? How do you know when you need to supplement?
    I've been tracking potassium for 7 years so I have a pretty good idea of what foods give me what amount and what my plate looks like when it has enough K on it. But if I am wondering - and often I do - I'll run it through nutritiondata.self.com for a very detailed nutrient analysis.

K

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    I used to take Magnesium in a chelated multi-mineral formula and thought that I was backing myself up with the supplementation, but it turned out that the Magnesium was in the form of Magnesium Oxide, which is completely useless for absorption. I've been having leg cramps at night when I stretch (sometimes even if I move my leg just a little bit) which are annoying, to say the least. I just wish to ask some questions to make sure I've got my head wrapped around this mineral.

2. Due to their synergistic nature, I was wondering if I have to take Calcium along with Magnesium. If so, in what ratio and dosage should the supplementation of the two minerals be? Also, should I take the Calcium with the Magnesium, or take the Calcium in the day and Magnesium at night? On certain articles, I've read that the two minerals may actually negate the others effect if taken at the same time. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!
    For your third question, I don't supplement magnesium, but I ate a bunch of extra spinach the other day. I had a horrible bout of insomnia the other night and my body just felt so tense. I found that spinach has high magnesium so I had a bunch. About an hour later I felt like I could fully stretch my body (like a cat haha) and I fell asleep. I imagine that a magnesium supplement would work about as well, or better!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast