Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick questions about Magnesium page 3

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I've been tracking potassium for 7 years so I have a pretty good idea of what foods give me what amount and what my plate looks like when it has enough K on it. But if I am wondering - and often I do - I'll run it through nutritiondata.self.com for a very detailed nutrient analysis.
    Just out of curiosity, what does that look like? What foods would make up a good plate of K?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what does that look like? What foods would make up a good plate of K?
    mostly veggies by volume. dramatically so. at every meal. If I'm not up for all of the veggies, I juice - celery and cukes as a base, then add in some darker stuff for an antioxidant kick.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Am I right in thinking that good grass fed butter has a decent belt of K in it?

Quote Originally Posted by racingsnake View Post
    Am I right in thinking that good grass fed butter has a decent belt of K in it?
    It does have some.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    mostly veggies by volume. dramatically so. at every meal. If I'm not up for all of the veggies, I juice - celery and cukes as a base, then add in some darker stuff for an antioxidant kick.
    Thanks, Katherine. I was just reading through one of your articles about supplementation, and I noticed that for sufficient magnesium intake you recommended 1/2-1 cup of beans a day. In light of Primal ways, do you still recommend this? If not, is there another food that you would recommend as a reliable food source of mag?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Thanks, Katherine. I was just reading through one of your articles about supplementation, and I noticed that for sufficient magnesium intake you recommended 1/2-1 cup of beans a day. In light of Primal ways, do you still recommend this?
    nooope.

TIf not, is there another food that you would recommend as a reliable food source of mag?
    Fish tends to be high in Mg. I haven't checked but I'd bet some organ meats are also high in mg.

K

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Fish tends to be high in Mg. I haven't checked but I'd bet some organ meats are also high in mg.
    I just checked, and out of the fish I usually eat I'd choose cod over salmon, trout and coalfish. Cod contains about 36 mg magnesium per 100 gram. While organ meats contains half of what cod does.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

for the sake of clarity, ommmaggie and I were talking about potassium (K) whereas racingsnake is talking about vitamin K.

K(atherine)

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    w00t w00t! cod contains about 425 mg of potassium per 100 gram... I think fish is super food, anyway. So I try to eat a lot of it.

Vitamin K1 is also known as phylloquinone or phytomenadione (also called phytonadione). Vitamin K2 (menaquinone, menatetrenone) is normally produced by bacteria in the large intestine,[1] and dietary deficiency is extremely rare unless the intestines are heavily damaged, are unable to absorb the molecule, or are subject to decreased production by normal flora, as seen in broad spectrum antibiotic use.

Vitamin K1 is found chiefly in leafy green vegetables such as spinach, swiss chard, and Brassica (e.g. cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts); some fruits such as avocado and kiwifruit are also high in vitamin K. By way of reference, two tablespoons of parsley contain 153% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin K.

-- from Wikipedia

My highlighting, and as we all know - how should we interpret the RDI through the primal lens compared to the CW lens.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    for the sake of clarity, ommmaggie and I were talking about potassium (K) whereas racingsnake is talking about vitamin K.

K(atherine)
    Beet leaves have a decent quantity of both. A cup of beet leaves has 871% DV of Vitamin K and 37% DV of Potassium 1309 mg.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2353/2

It has a lot more of both of these nutrients than its 'cousin' swiss chard:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2399/2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast