Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick questions about Magnesium page 2

RawFoodPlenty is offline Junior Member
    Interesting, for the past couple of days I stumbled upon the subject organic minerals vs. inorganic minerals. Apparently the first type is MUCH better for absorption (due to its negative electrical charge) and needless to say the supplements Ive taken so far were mostly inorganic (like grounded up rock - Dolomit S.). So my suggestion for best bio-availability would be to seek out a liquid mineral supplement that contains BOTH organic calcium and magnesium in a ratio of 2:1, alongside with other minerals and trace minerals and Vitamin D. That would be the perfect mix. From the looks of it there aren't many supplements like that out there - though Ive come across dutch-based Dr.Hittich just now. Looks very promising so far...

p.s.: For a great diet magnesium source try soaked apricot seeds. They're one of my favorite foods!

RawFoodPlenty is offline Junior Member
    Ah, forget about Dr.Hittich. Apparently that guy is a fraud. However what I said about organic vs. inorganic holds true. Check this link for instance:
    http://www.gezondheidinbalans.nl/www/inst_clmr.html

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RawFoodPlenty View Post
    liquid mineral supplement that contains BOTH organic calcium and magnesium in a ratio of 2:1,
    In an evolutionary environement, it just wouldn't have been possible to get that much calcium. Probably intakes of 250 mg-500 mg per day are all we could have managed.

A 2:1 cal:mag just isn't a good idea for the Vitamin D replete.

I have a bunch of good links above as well.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Hey, KG, you have my initials and you like samurai champloo, awesome!

Ive been using magnesium malate. I feel great and sleep is really good.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    Hey, KG, you have my initials and you like samurai champloo, awesome!

Ive been using magnesium malate. I feel great and sleep is really good.
    Haha! Reading your comment has gotten the theme song "battlecry" stuck in my head!
    Weird about the initials, KG actually stands for something really nerdy for me (nickname I made ages ago, for my XBOX Live Gamertag, etc.).

Thanks for all your replies, I've read the majority of threads and articles and I have to say that I'm looking forward to giving the Magnesium oil a try (just ordered off Amazon!).

On a related note (spur of the moment), how much Magnesium is in organic chocolate? I'm eating through Green & Black's a LOT lately, so I want my addiction to have some kind of benefit. I've read that cocoa mass is a good source, but perhaps I should focus more on buying the dark leafy greens..

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    They aren't so much synergistic as they are competitive. Think of calcium as the contractor and mg as the 'relaxer'. Ocassionally you'll here magnesium referred to as "nature's 'calcium channel blocker'". This is very accurate.
    On the Wikepedia link on Garlic, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic) it states:
    Garlic may interact with warfarin, antiplatelets, saquinavir, antihypertensives, calcium channel blockers, and hypoglycemic drugs, as well as other medications.[48] Members of the alium family might be toxic to cats or dogs.[54] Some degree of liver toxicity has been demonstrated in rats, particularly in extremely large quantities exceeding those that a rat would consume under normal situations.[55]
    The article does not explain how Garlic interacts with the channel blockers though. I do feel sleepy when eating foods that has garlic.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    I tested low on cellular magnesium twice in a row (a year apart) and so added magnesium oil to my regular dose of oysters. Not as tasty, but it did the trick. I use 4 sprays rubbed into the thighs after a shower. Stings a bit, but only for a few minutes, and has moved me into the mid range of normal.

Acteon is offline Senior Member

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longquan View Post
    Robb Wolf said in one of his podcasts that Magnesium Oil is probably not that good...

I tried the oil that Mike Mahler sells. The first night I switched from my capsules to the oil I got severe leg cramps, but I thought it might just be because my body is not adjusted to the oil yet. The following weeks I didn't get any cramps.

Unfortunately, it seems I developed an allergeric reaction to it and my skin started to burn like crazy, even with very small dosages. I stopped it and am now back to my magnesium citrate capsules.

I think my sleep is better with the oral form, but that's just my experience. I don't know if the oil had any effect on my DHEA levels
    whoa, thanks. I was thinking of buying that oil myself.

Longquan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Godzilla: You're welcome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast