Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Fruit, No Vegetables? page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

No Fruit, No Vegetables?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have no scientific training, so unfortunately this started to go over my head after a few paragraphs. The gist that I'm getting from it though is that this guy is recommending a diet entirely devoid of fruit and vegetable....

That sounds all kinds of wrong to me. Anyone here have the scientific knowledge to lay this things straight?

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...s-re-post.html
    Last edited by BoyPrimal; 09-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member
    Ah, ignore me. It's already been addressed: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/zero-carb-diet/

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Its entirely possible to live on a strictly carnivorous diet.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Peter from hyperlipid feels that veggies and fruits are indulgences He eats the Optimal Diet, which is a mostly fermented cream diet dreamed up in Poland, as far as I can tell. But as Peter is insanely smart and seems to know more about metabolism than almost anyone else in the blogosphere, he's a good guy to pay attention to.

stu3cla is offline Junior Member

RE: No Fruit, No Vegetables?

There is a particular diet for muscle building, that tells you to eat only fat. Yes, it sounds absolutely crazy, but after some research, it does work. Now of course by "fat" I mean healthy fats, and not fat from chips and cake. A few examples of healthy fat would be: lean chicken, any lean red meats, fish, most other lean meats. But in the diet, it also says that you should eat butter and bacon fat. Now these aren't particularly healthy, but I think you could get by. As long as you workout hard, and burn off the fat and your body uses it for energy, and to rebuild.

So yes, you could have a diet without any fruits or vegetables. But I would not recommend it, as it could harm your health in the long term.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    The major thing about eating a total carniverous diet, to me, is that for optimal health, it seems one must include organ meats, probably quite regularly.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    The major thing about eating a total carniverous diet, to me, is that for optimal health, it seems one must include organ meats, probably quite regularly.
    +987,678

This is the whole issue. If avoiding fruits and veg, it's critical to eat the whole animal, head to tail.

There's been at least one case of someone doing Zero Carb/carnivorous who has died of a selenium deficiency. I worry about the carnivores here who eschew organ meats with the exception of liver. It's just not healthy and could be very very serious over the long term.

And yes, Peter is brilliant, but one time so far, I've observed him hand picking evidence to support his 'no plant' status while ignoring evidence that is in opposition to his stance. Confirmation bias at work.
    Last edited by cillakat; 09-11-2010 at 12:11 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    (I think the Optimal Diet is a little wacky, plus I couldn't do it anyway due to all the dairy).

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    There is a guy that posts comments on the Lean Saloon that does the Optimal Diet, and he's in really ripped shape. It's not specifically dairy, but calls for specific amounts of fat. It seems pretty complicated since you have to track your macros to make sure you eat only a certain amount of carbs and protein, and get the rest in fat.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Citation on the guy who died of selenium deficiency from carnivorous diet?

I don't think zero carb is necessary nor am I following it since I am trying to bulk up to 220 lbs..but I would like to know what happened to him. Many have done zero carb without organ meat and have lived many years.

And even so, it would be easy to remain zero carb and get selenium, even without organ meat...

How?

Raw eggs
    Last edited by BlazeKING; 09-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast