Thread: Dairy Free Cinnamon Ice Cream page

mloster is offline Junior Member

Dairy Free Cinnamon Ice Cream

Primal Fuel
    Ok. So here's a recipe that is amazing and includes two things that I love, cinnamon and ice cream. Pre-primal, I always used to love this combo so I came up with a primal recipe. i actually made homemade coconut milk for this one, but any canned brand would work.

8 oz coconut milk
    1-2 tsp cinnamon (to taste, however much you like)
    .5 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
    4-6 dates

First, boil some water in a saucepan. Pit the dates and put them in boiling water. Let them sit for 15 minutes and drain. Blend together dates and the rest of the ingredients. Here's where you can get fancy. Add whatever you like, depending on the type of ice cream you want to make (ex. unsweetened cocoa, blueberries, frozen cherries, nutmeg, pumpkin, etc.). Then make in to ice cream whatever way desired. You can put it in your ice cream maker, put it in a pint sized bag and then put that in a gallon sized ziplock bag with rock salt and ice and shake for five minutes. Personally, I put the mixture in a shallow 13x9 pyrex pan in the freezer and stirred occasionally until it was ice cream-like.
    Enjoy!!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Interesting recipe! Does the ice cream have an obvious date flavor? I don't think it would necessarily be bad if it did, as I like the more warm spice mixes of larabars (Pumpkin Pie, Cinnamon Roll). Thanks for the recommendation!

mloster is offline Junior Member
    No, actually the date flavor is very mild. It more tastes like a brown sugar sweetener without actually using brown sugar. I don't actually eat all that much fruit and no sweetener (i.e. honey, agave, sugar...), so this recipe is pretty sweet. It's not all that coconutty either but that could be because of the mass quantities of coconut oil, milk, and flakes that I consume.

annie is offline Senior Member
    I don't have an ice cream maker and have been looking for a recipe that would make something similar without it. I'm going shopping tomorrow and making this soon! thanks.

annie is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I tried this last night. I just put it in the 13x9 dish and mixed it occasionally. It got really hard (like ice-solid-imagine that! lol) around the edges so I scraped it out and mixed it all up again and stuck it in the fridge. About half an hour before we ate it I put it back in the freezer and it was good when I took it out...spoonable, but not solid.

And it was really good! Scott enjoyed it, even after I told him it was made with coconut milk! He doesn't like coconuts. I've used coconut milk in other things, too, though...I don't think it has a strong flavor. Anyway, I'll definitely do this again! thanks

PALEO KING is offline Junior Member
    This sounds awesome! Will be trying this out for sure.

Aloha'z
    Aloha and have a great day!