Thread: Itchy page

Itchy

Primal Fuel
    So this is super random, and may have absolutely nothing to do with primal living, but it's worth a shot anyhow. For the past week or so, I've been itchy! In various places, but mostly my upper legs, back and arms. No visible sign of a rash or any other kind of skin irritation. My living and work situation has not changed, so I'm wondering if it's in some way caused by my recent dietary shift (I've been eating about 85% primally for the past 3 weeks). Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ideas on this issue. Thanks!

doghead is offline Senior Member
    It very well might be, in some obscure way - you are completely reprogramming the way your body works. Like a new version of a software, there will be a few bugs to work out before systems are stable and running smoothly again.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyscraper light View Post
    So this is super random, and may have absolutely nothing to do with primal living, but it's worth a shot anyhow. For the past week or so, I've been itchy! In various places, but mostly my upper legs, back and arms. No visible sign of a rash or any other kind of skin irritation. My living and work situation has not changed, so I'm wondering if it's in some way caused by my recent dietary shift (I've been eating about 85% primally for the past 3 weeks). Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ideas on this issue. Thanks!
    This is reported not uncommonly. A few things come to mind:

1)when we give up 'fortified' foods (ie processed grains), we loose out on some zinc, b vites and iron. zinc and b vites in insufficient amounts could contribute to the itching

2)the 'ideal' primal diet would supply everything we need but most of us don't eat the whole animal. many here just eat muscle meat, some eat liver, but few - very few - eat brain, kidney, thymus/pancreas (sweetbreads), etc etc. the 'rest' of the organ meats go a long way in supplying zinc, mg and b vites

3)shellfish also contain important nutrition - esp oysters supplying huge amounts of zinc. once weekly oysters - or even bi weekly - would be of tremendous benefit.

4)fish that supply more selenium than mercury (just about everything aside from whale, tilefish, king mackerel) also are very important for selenium and magnesium. eat up. do not limit.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem, but in dry air. The summer humidity is now gone around here (Toronto, Canada) and so my dry skin itch is back. I'd apply more coconut oil to my skin but I don't like the greasy feeling and don't want to get any on my clothes.

interesting thoughts, guys. cillakat, i don't need much more convincing to up my shellfish intake, particularly weekly (!) oysters--i will do just that and see how it goes.

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    Just wondering, did you have oily skin before you went Primal? I have noticed my skin is no where near as oily as it used to be. Perhaps your body just needs to balance out the sebum being produced now that your pores are no longer having to purge excess build up of things unintentionally taken in through processed foods. Also, do you take fish oil supplements? I am told this helps people with dry skin or eczema. My last thought would be to add a couple teaspoons of apricot oil in the bath. It's lovely for soothing and moisturizing the skin. A bit on the expensive side compared to coconut or olive oil but much finer and absorbs quickly without the greasy feel and smells nice too.