Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet potato gnocchi page

chowza is offline Member

Sweet potato gnocchi

Shop Now
    I'd like to try making something like this. Obviously I'd need to find a primal-friendly substitute for the 2 cups of flour. I was thinking coconut flour or almond flour, but figured it might not be as simple as that--taste-wise, as well as the fact that coconut flour, especially, tends to be drier, so a 1:1 substitution might lead to undesirable results in the final product...

Anyone tried this before (or something similar) and have any suggestions? Thanks!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato flour maybe? I've not tried making anything that needed to have flour substituted for quite a while. If I did need a flour that's what I would try to find.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I don't think coco or almond flour would work. They don't have the starchy properties. Rice flour + potato starch work if you don't mind using the rice flour. Maybe potato flour + potato starch if you don't want the rice flour?

Here's a recipe for gluten free potato gnocchi to give you some ideas. Possibly you could use the sweet potato instead of the white in the recipe.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    my boyfriend and I are both SERIOUS pumpkin lovers, so I was planning on making these http://diadesigns.com/blog12/2009/10...mpkin-gnocchi/ in October. pumpkin and sweet potato, what could be better?

ETA: I'd obviously use real butter not "vegan spread"

Moonablaze, those look delish! That is a great idea to have these for Halloween with them being orange. I wonder if they would be too bland with just pumpkin, sweets and starch and if they might need the egg, butter/oil and a little salt? Might have to start playing around with the recipes before then.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with just the pumpkin sweets and starch, and maybe a little salt, then add the butter as a sauce. Classic gnocchi doesn't have any butter, oil or egg in it, and I'm of the opinion that you should use as few substitutions as necessary (I think the egg might make it too dense)

Thanks. My mom used to make gnocchi (she made the dough and I did the shaping) but I never paid attention to what she did. I used to make my own pasta pre-PB but never gnocchi.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I was very excited when I saw a thread about gnocchi! I love primal eating but I admit I miss the doughy-ness of gnocchi. I have also been thinking for some time about making some sort of primal perogies. I'm of Ukraine background and perogies are at every family gathering. Does anyone have any suggestions for making a primal perogie? Would something similar to the gnocchi recipe work?

chowza is offline Member
    Thanks for all the input, folks. I think I'll see if I can find some sweet potato flour. Seems like the best bet... And moonablaze, those do look pretty awesome. Let us know how they turn out.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    Classic gnocchi doesn't have any butter, oil or egg in it
    Most gnocchi recipes I've made require an egg, including "classical" ones. I'm sure some don't, but like any pasta, it'll vary region by region.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast