Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB&J...? Uh...Primal Blueprint and Jelly. page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Question PB&J...? Uh...Primal Blueprint and Jelly.

Primal Fuel
    In my past CW ways, I would often turn to a PB&J sandwich with some skim milk as a snack or quick meal.

Does anyone have a primal version of the old classic for an occassional indulgence?

I've got cashew butter and almond butter so those would be the obvious replacements for the Peter Pan mess. And I was planning on using thawed and mashed frozen berries for the jelly.

My quandry is a primal "bread" that would go with it. Any recipes or links?

TIA.

BTW, I'd drink it with full-fat or coconut milk now!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Spinach bread maybe?

Impressed with you creativity for the other substitutions!

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Put it all on a banana.

Or you can make almond meal pancakes.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Spinach bread is such an awful suggestion for that, hahaha. Spinach with nut butter and berries? haha. Sorry. The idea just makes my stomach turn over a bit :P

I agree on the banana bit as a good suggestion, but I've heard there are great "breads" on Elanas Pantry's site you could try. She has everything from a nut bread, to "simple bread" to speciality breads with cranberries and such. I'm sure you could make a loaf on the weekend to make quick meals/snacks on the go!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    Spinach bread is such an awful suggestion for that, hahaha. Spinach with nut butter and berries? haha. Sorry. The idea just makes my stomach turn over a bit :P
    The idea of PB&J turns mine (Limeys eh!)

I bet it would be possible to make banana bread - dessicated coconut, egg, mashed up banana, maybe? Just a thought!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    The idea of PB&J turns mine (Limeys eh!)

I bet it would be possible to make banana bread - dessicated coconut, egg, mashed up banana, maybe? Just a thought!

Bugger all to do with being a 'limey'. I used to LOVE it when I was a kid, but not as much as I used to love PB&J, NOTHING beat my favourite: -

Peanut Butter
    Banana
    Chocolate Spread

All mashed together and then, for added ahem 'deliciousness' golden syrup! Used to think that was lush - especially toasted. Ruined many a toastie maker like that when I was a nipper!

Another variant was PBJC toasted (that's peanut butter, jelly and cheese - yes, that's right, I said CHEESE!!! Cheddar for preference and the 'jelly' HAD to be raspberry!) My mum's late dad used to love cheese and jam sarnies (well jam's almost chutney, isn't it...?) and Mum's inherited that love from him.

Still miss my favourite after-school snack, though - cheese and Marmite toasties! I've got a large jar of Marmite in the cupboard and I still indulge in a heaped teaspoon every now and then (I did eat a whole 500g jar in 2 days once. No, I'm NOT kidding - I'm a Marmite maniac, me! ADORE the stuff! )

Does that make me even weirder...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    It's not primal...but I use Ezekiel Bread as part of my "20%" indulgences. It is high protein and fiber, and the grains are sprouted, which helps reduce the negative impacts.

It makes a heck of an almond butter and no-sugar jelly (or banana) sandwich.

batty is offline Senior Member
    if you're down with dairy, you can also make oopsie rolls.

this flax bread is also tasty and is also excellent without the flax.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

ekat is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    When I need a quick snack and feel like kind of using my 20%, I have "PB&J without the bread." I scoop up a spoonful of peanut butter (you could use almond butter, but that's too dangerous for me to have in the house! My husband's the usual peanut butter eater) and then dip it in the jelly jar (reduced sugar from TJs, no fake sugars, so less sugary than the usual stuff but still has some added sugar) and take a little bite. I continue dipping and eating until the peanut butter's gone from the spoon. Weird, I know, but oddly delicious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast