Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crepes!!!!!!!! page

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Crepes!!!!!!!!

Primal Fuel
    OMG CREPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my new favorite completely primal treat! These were a complete success, and so delicious. When I started primal, I tried a million different pancake recipes and all of them sucked! So I gave up. BUT... I really thought a crepe would be easier to make, without alot of fuss or a million different weird ingredients. I was right!

This recipe that I created tastes exactly like a normal flour based crepe, except maybe even better!!! The texture is perfect, you can even flip them like a real crepe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEK! (Flipping optional, unlike a normal crepe, these hold up well enough to gently slide a flipper under and gently flip them.

Ok, enough gushing, here's the recipe and some directions:

Crepes trial 1:
    1 egg
    2 egg yolks
    1 heaping tbsp of cashew butter
    1 tbsp of heavy cream
    Zuzz up until an even consistancy with your hand blender.
    Add:
    1/8 cup of butter, melted but not hot. just warm when you stick your finger in.
    Mix with hand blender (I bet a reg blender would work too! Anything to just emulsify everything and get it so the cashew butter isn't clumping.)

Thin out with 2 or so more tbsp of cream

Heat your frying pan on a low heat (I used both a med frying pan (like dinner plate size) and a little one for the "dessert" ones. Both worked beautifully!
    Pour your batter (I use a measuring cup with a spout) into the middle of the pan, and drizzle in a spiral around that initial blob (does that make any sense?!) then quickly swirl your pan so the batter spreads out covering the entire pan evenly and place back on the heat. Crepes should be thin thin thin, and practice will help you get better at this! The edges of your crepes will be the thinnest, and when they begin to curl and brown, flip the crepe. Then it's up to you how long you'd like the other side to sit. Slide onto plate, fill with yummies, fold both sides over the middle and serve!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today's savory crepes had a filling that was made up of bacon, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, green onion. Splash of white wine and finished with a lil cream cheese to make it saucy! I threw in some left over grilled shrimp too. YUM!

Today's sweet crepes had a cherry sauce I made with some of the cherries I froze a month ago. I just cooked them down a bit and then thickened with a touch of arrowroot and squeeze of lemon juice. Then I drizzled over the folded crepe some melted 85% chocolate which I had melted with a tbsp or 2 of heavy cream. This was topped with freshly whipped vanilla cream. O.M.G.

Ok, well the groklings have eaten all but one, and it has my name on it! Hope someone else tries these and loves them as much as we all did!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How odd - I made an "omelette" with 2 chicken eggs, 2 duck eggs, and a good slosh of double cream and thought it came out very pancakey! Must be the extra fat?

Must be NMG. I was worried these would be eggy, but they weren't!

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Is there a substitute for cashew butter? I'm trying to avoid nuts. Also, oxidized pufas=not so good

Well I don't think you could do this recipe without nut butter, but any nut butter would work, almond butter, macadamia butter...

So grokka are you saying that we shouldn't ever use nut butters? I thought they were an acceptable primal treat?

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I'm just worried that the pufas will get oxidized when they're cooked. I might make these for a treat, but if I wanted to have them more often, I'd try to find something else. I've heard of coconut butter, but doesn't that have a slightly different consistency? Hmm...

Oh I see! Well... I guess I would look at it as there isn't very much nut butter in the recipe, so maybe not such a big deal? I'm not a scientist so I don't know, but I'm sure these could definitely be considered an awesome primal indulgence.

mloster is offline Junior Member
    try this crepe recipe. it's worked amazingly for me.
    2 tablespoons sifted coconut flour
    2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter, melted
    2 eggs
    ⅛ teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup whole milk (coconut milk works too)

Blend together eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Thoroughly mix in coconut flour. Stir in coconut milk. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a small skillet. Pour a quarter of the batter into the skillet; immediately rotate skillet until a thin even layer of batter covers the bottom of the skillet. Crepe should be about 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Cook until batter is bubbly and cooked around the edges. Turn and cook other side. Makes 4 crepes.
    I got this from tiana-coconut.com with a couple changes. enjoy!

gator70 is offline Member
    Looks good will give it a try this weekend! I sure do miss pancakes!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey Lil'EM, I'm definitely going to try these. I have had no success to date making anything pancakey.. and my daughter LOVES crepes, so if I can master these I am GOLDEN!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast