Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB and breast feeding? page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

PB and breast feeding?

Obviously Ms. Grok breast fed her kids, so it would seem that the PB is compatible with breast feeding. I'm thinking of going lower-carb. Today was a really high-carb day at around 250-300 carbohydrates (the culprits were arborio rice, a full bar of dark chocolate, and half a cantaloupe), but normally I'm closer to the upper 100s, maybe 180ish. Does anyone have experience with nursing and going down to 50-100? I'm sure I can do it, I just want to make sure that I won't be a grumpy mess, and that I'll have the energy to take care of my kiddoes (I have two small kids and a 4 month old). Any tips?

Viking is offline Senior Member
    I'm not an expert on breastfed babies, although I play one on TV.

It seems to me the paleo/PB diet is the best suited for a healthful outcome for your kids, mainly due to increased amount of omega-3 vs. omega-6 fats.

I always recommend taking plenty of fish oil to women who are pregnant and/or breast feeding. Your kid's brains will thank you later.

I haven't answered your questions really, maybe someone else can get closer for you. Congrats on being a smart mom!!

Barefoot is offline Member
    I am nursing too, and personally, my energy level suffered a bit when I tried to stay around 75g. 'Baby brain' fogginess came back for me at those levels (though not as bad as it was before I went primal!) so I usually stay in the 100-150g range and that's working really well for me.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    My wife eats about 100g a day and baby is doing great.

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I stayed higher carb (fruit and starchy veggies) when I was nursing and I made sure to eat plenty of fat.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    I'm nursing and eat under 75 carbs most days. This isn't by design, it's just the diet that has evolved since becoming primal last year. I feel better on days that I eat on the lower end, but I do eat a lot of fat to make up for it. I've been eating over 2000 calories/day (though I'm trying to cut just a wee bit now). I eat coffee with a lot of cream for breakfast, a huge salad for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. If I snack, it's on almonds, celery w/ almond butter or something similar. The key to feeling good while nursing has been for me to drink something like a gallon of water each day. I feel awful when I don't get enough water and I notice it the next day when I pump at work. I've done no outside research on macronutrients and nursing; I just eat as cleanly as possible.

Slacke is offline Member
    Evolution wise it would make sense that the primal diet should work also while breast feeding.
    You just have to make double sure you actually get all your nutrients since the baby could be alot more sensitive than you are to any deficienses.

Changing diet WHILE breast feeding could be another matter though. We know the body can take some time to adjust and I atleast have no idea if or how that might effect things.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I had supply issues with milk last time (non-PB life, back then) so I'm really wondering how it'll go this time... particularly since I have some weight to lose, which is always tricky when breastfeeding. I'll be watching this thread with interest!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    Does anyone have experience with nursing and going down to 50-100? I'm sure I can do it, I just want to make sure that I won't be a grumpy mess, and that I'll have the energy to take care of my kiddoes (I have two small kids and a 4 month old). Any tips?
    It's totally possible. If you feel like crap from the low carb flu there are two options:

up your carbs enough to keep you out of ketosis. the down side is that you won't ketoadapt.
    stick out the low carb flu and ketoadapt. the downside is you may feel like crap for 2 days-8 weeks....or you might now.

In terms of energy, be sure you're getting enough potassium from nonstarchy veggies (see my links below) and be sure you're supplementing D to achieve optimal levels of circulating 25(OH)D
    best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I had supply issues with milk last time (non-PB life, back then)
    If PCOS was a factor, low carb will likely be helpful.

If it was something else, it won't matter either way (ie insufficient glandular tissue, poor latch, tongue tie, high palate, insuffient feeding frequency in the early weeks and/or poor milk transfer for any of those reasons).

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast