Thread: Help me refine my coconut curry soup? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Help me refine my coconut curry soup?

Primal Fuel
    So I'm planning to have one of those eat up everything in the house before going grocery shopping days tomorrow, and I'm pretty sick of eating chicken, so I'm going to disguise the leftover roasted chicken in some coconut curry soup. I've looked up recipes online and the only relevant ingredients I seem to have are coconut milk, yellow curry powder, garlic, and chicken stock. One recipe also included red pepper flakes--so I could do that as well.

I've never made curry soup before so I'm hoping someone can tell me if this will be ok, or if I really need something else, and if so, what?

Thanks!

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'm probably the wrong person to be replying to you, because I don't think you will get a good result with those ingredients. Asian curry soups like laksa, har mee or tom yum all begin by making a paste of aromatic ingredients and frying the paste to enhance its flavour. The other essential part is the stock. You have a chance if your stock has been made by frying up the waste parts of whatever creature you are using then boiling to extract all the flavour.

That being said, there is no harm using what you have, presuming the stock and curry powder aren't full of poisons, and seeing how you go. Taste often and adjust the seasoning as you go. The one thing I would definitely recommend is the following:

* place some of the coconut milk in a saucepan and simmer, stirring, until it has reduced by about 3/4 (only only 1/4 the volume left) - you know its done right when the oil separates from the milk

* add the garlic and curry powder and fry in the coconut mass of about a minute

* add remaining ingredients including more coconut milk and simmer

Do not cover at any stage of the coconut milk will curdle

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Oh man! I think this is supposed to be a Thai curry recipe, so regular yellow curry powder (Indian style, typically Madras) is not what's really called for here (although I guess it would still be pretty tasty).

Assuming you aren't familiar with Thai cooking: you have entered a window you may never want to regress! Once you discover Thai cooking (including this soup) you will always crave some of the flavors. Unless you are just weird. :-)

Thia curry chicken soup versions are usually very PB compliant.

For the following recipe you must live near an Asian market or be willing to live mail-order. Good luck.

For this recipe, if you are new to Thai flavors, do NOT use 2 Tbsp of fish sauce as called for, use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon at first. It's a key flavor in the recipe but most westerners are not good at coping with the (fill in the blank at some point) flavor. Start small and work your way up. But do NOT omit completely or you will miss the cultural exchange piece! true -- :-) Increase it as you and your loved ones appreciate it more.

Also. the ginger should really be galangal (available at good asian markets in northern California) but ginger will do in a pinch if none is available.

Here's a decent recipe:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

PS - if you don't want to invest in a bottle of fish sauce, buy some dehydrated shrimp at the Asian market to add a bunch of fish flavor. Use a big pinch for each 1/4 tsp fish sauce in a recipe (my estimate as an expert chef (right!).

Oops, I just noticed 3 Thai chilis in the recipe...if you are unfamiliar with these, or are not a fan of REALLY spicy, DO NOT even get close. Use 1 jalapeno, seeded and membrane removed.

PS - You might think this will freeze well. But coconut milk does NOT freeze well; it gets clumpy and weird, and cannot be resuscitated. Important to know when making other coconut milk recipes.
    Last edited by Viking; 09-10-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Obviously, instead of sugar maybe use a bit of stevia.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I think those ingredients are OK, taste-wise. The only problem is that unless you simmer it forever and ever it's going to be thin. The addition of some thick yogurt at the end can take care of that.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to each and all! Peril, your post made me giggle (in a good way . I'm not a total primal noob--I promise my ingredients aren't full of poisons, haha. I made the bone broth my self. Also, thanks for the tip about curdling the coconut milk.

Viking--your recipe sounds great, and I would love to try the recipe you gave me! Also, full of great tipes. However, as I said my OP I'm trying to clean out my cupboards before going grocery shopping--so maybe this soup will make it onto next week's menu

Finally, dragonmamma, thanks also for the warning about thinning. Since the chicken is pre-cooked, it won't take long at all on the stove. If I do see some thinness, I have some yogurt I could toss in. Thanks

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    You are also close to having the ingredients for Mulligawtany soup. I don't have my recipe at hand at the moment but I believe it also has a peeled, minced Granny Smith apple, one or two sliced sweet potatoes, the coconut milk, chicken, garlic, and then several other spices, I would substitute turmeric for the curry powder. You could google it.