Page 225 of 415 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275325 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 4142

Thread: Primal Journal (winencandy) page 225

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Pull up -- I'm going to start a 2012 Pull-Up Challenge Thread, you can always join that. I am totally missing the 2011 deadline, so here's for 2012!

Hope you eventually got some sleep! Compound interest would have had my brain spinning for hours even without the sugar!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Pull up -- I'm going to start a 2012 Pull-Up Challenge Thread, you can always join that. I am totally missing the 2011 deadline, so here's for 2012!

Hope you eventually got some sleep! Compound interest would have had my brain spinning for hours even without the sugar!
    Pull-Up 2012 it is!
    I got to bed at midnight...

I am NOT a math person...I have to learn it just before I teach it
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I was just reading this article and this line jumped out at me:

Whether we are talking about plants or meat, eating cooked food provides more calories than eating the same food raw. And that means that the calorie counts we’ve grown so used to consulting are routinely wrong.
    Hmmmmm
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Interesting about the raw vs cooked food. I guess cooking kinda begins the digestive process what with cell wall break down and the like huh?

Maybe I should read the article....

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Right, the idea is that digestion takes a certain amount of energy, so the easier the food is to digest, the fewer calories you spend on the digestion part. Also, cooking can free up some calories that we might not have been able to digest at all if it weren't cooked... starches for example. (but the latter set of calories should be accounted for in the calorie total already because of the way they do the calorie analysis...)

But there's yet another factor at play here. Cooked foods tend to be smaller so a cup of cooked carrots would also naturally have more calories than a cup of raw carrots, IF weighed after cooking. As in (using baby carrots as an example) let's say the cooked carrots, you could fit 40 in the cup, wheras raw you could fit maybe 30.

So that also means that to the degree that your hunger is sated by volume, you'd be likely to eat more of the cooked foods. Combine that with the idea that the cooked foods take less chewing than raw foods, and the overall perception of how much you've eaten is skewed.

Cooking also tends to up the glycemic index, for similar reasons -- easier to digest means it gets into your bloodstream that much faster.

Personally I have no issue with cooking some of my foods if they taste better cooked. I have a hard enough time eating meat as it is... I really _have_ to have my soup full of equally-cooked vegetables. But of course I also try to make sure to have a BAS every day to go with it.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Interesting about the raw vs cooked food. I guess cooking kinda begins the digestive process what with cell wall break down and the like huh?

Maybe I should read the article....
    Did you read it?
    It was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Right, the idea is that digestion takes a certain amount of energy, so the easier the food is to digest, the fewer calories you spend on the digestion part. Also, cooking can free up some calories that we might not have been able to digest at all if it weren't cooked... starches for example. (but the latter set of calories should be accounted for in the calorie total already because of the way they do the calorie analysis...)

But there's yet another factor at play here. Cooked foods tend to be smaller so a cup of cooked carrots would also naturally have more calories than a cup of raw carrots, IF weighed after cooking. As in (using baby carrots as an example) let's say the cooked carrots, you could fit 40 in the cup, wheras raw you could fit maybe 30.

So that also means that to the degree that your hunger is sated by volume, you'd be likely to eat more of the cooked foods. Combine that with the idea that the cooked foods take less chewing than raw foods, and the overall perception of how much you've eaten is skewed.

Cooking also tends to up the glycemic index, for similar reasons -- easier to digest means it gets into your bloodstream that much faster.

Personally I have no issue with cooking some of my foods if they taste better cooked. I have a hard enough time eating meat as it is... I really _have_ to have my soup full of equally-cooked vegetables. But of course I also try to make sure to have a BAS every day to go with it.
    You make some very good points Jenny, I hadn't thought of some of them
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Thursday
    Food

Protein shake, Raspberries, Spaghetti meat sauce, a Turtle
    Frozen Raspberries with whipping cream (1/2 cup of berries, just enough cream to coat and freeze over the berries
    Red wine

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes
    the Turtle

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
    no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain

12:00 – 6:15am

Supply teaching. Shopping. Wrapping. Wine while wrapping. Cleaning.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Friday
    Food

Protein shake, Red Wine, Shepherd’s Pie, Apple Upside Down Cake with Caramel Sauce, Red Wine

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes
    the cake, it was good, but surprisingly, not as good as I’d “remembered” it…

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
    no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain

10:30 – 8:15am

Cleaning. Installing and Updating Snow Leopard, Microsoft Office 11 for Mac, and Photoshop Elements 9. Backing up with Time Machine. Wrapping. Wine while wrapping. Baking Apple Upside Down Cake with Caramel Sauce. Cleaning. More Wrapping. More Wine.

Eldest Son came home tonight
    I have a full house again

Toe Nail Update: The nail is white. It doesn't lay tight against my toe. There's a gap... There is still a small red spot beside the nail. if I bang it, it hurts like hell. The nail is a little "loose". My Farmer thinks I'll lose it yet...
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

I'm having 17 people here tomorrow...
    Full Turkey dinner...
    Another Turkey Dinner on Sunday.

I may not be back online until Boxing Day, so...

Merry Christmas!!!!
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Did you read it?
    It was interesting.
    I did and it was, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Merry Christmas!!!!
    Right back atcha sista!