Page 199 of 415 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 4149

Thread: Primal Journal (winencandy) page 199

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    It wasn't very high...is it supposed to be high???
    When I make quiche, they tend to be a little taller than yours right out of the oven, then they deflate a fair amount as they cool. Whipping the eggs as much as possible helps keep them fluffy, and putting the cheese on as an intermeidate layer or just at the very end of cooking can help too if you want tall quiche.

All that really matters though, is that it was tasty, and it sure looks like it was. I'm going to make quiche next time I get eggs now.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    (NourishedEm, were you the one who said that protein shakes didn’t keep you “full”?)

Any suggestions for getting enough protein in???
    Yep, that was me. The big meat and egg breaky carries me to dinner no problem, I can eat the same amount of protein in a shake and I'm starving by midday. I really don't think they're a great idea, but I get that sometimes you just need to get your food down quickly. I would probably still use it as a fall back if I had to, but I'm an early riser and, so far, don't have any trouble cooking in the mornings.

I think the 50g is an arbitrary number. Jack Kruse (who I think is a total arse btw), quotes a study as his reference where the study group ate 25g of protein, it sounds like a "if some is good, more must be better right?" kind of idea to me. Try reading The Leptin Diet by Byron Richards if you want to see where Kruse stole his ideas from. In a nutshell, the point is to eat a good, protein-containing breakfast first thing, only eat 3 meals a day, don't snack and allow 3 hours after eating before bed. The rest of the 'reset' is made up by Kruse who is a neurosurgeon and not a biochemist and has never conducted any research into his theories and is basically testing them on this community - and not just this one, the man's a bloody virus, he's everywhere!

As for ideas, I often eat steak and eggs, or fry up some sliced lamb and kale with a curry/masala paste. If I'm in a real hurry I'll chuck 4-5 eggs in a pan with butter and cream and make a real quick scramble, although I find that doesn't keep me satiated for as long as a meat-containing breakfast does.

After supper I made a crustless ham and spinach quiche...it’s cooking right now...my 1st quiche
    I'm making one of those this weekend.... with this...

It's an ostrich egg that Pete bought for me!

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Now that's an egg!! How's the taste in comparison to chicken eggs?

I agree that having meat with the eggs is more satisfying for longer than just the eggs. I'm still playing around with the big breakfast thing, but still not totally convinced it's me. More trial and error to find what feels best (and creates progress in the right direction). In the end, I think it still comes down to quantities of food in total, it's still easy to eat more primal stuff than what is needed. Too easy, unfortunately. The trick is finding just how much your body needs to be satisfied, not hungry, and still burn your own fat stores.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    My Farmer is home

No moose
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by BeckaSki View Post
    When I make quiche, they tend to be a little taller than yours right out of the oven, then they deflate a fair amount as they cool. Whipping the eggs as much as possible helps keep them fluffy, and putting the cheese on as an intermeidate layer or just at the very end of cooking can help too if you want tall quiche.

All that really matters though, is that it was tasty, and it sure looks like it was. I'm going to make quiche next time I get eggs now.
    Hi BeckaSki!

Thanks for the tips

Mine was a little taller and then it "fell"
    I put the cheese on top of the eggs before I started cooking it. Maybe next time, I'll either add it before the eggs or wait until it's almost done.

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Yep, that was me. The big meat and egg breaky carries me to dinner no problem, I can eat the same amount of protein in a shake and I'm starving by midday. I really don't think they're a great idea, but I get that sometimes you just need to get your food down quickly. I would probably still use it as a fall back if I had to, but I'm an early riser and, so far, don't have any trouble cooking in the mornings.
    You know, even when I have the big breakfasts, (and sometimes lunch) I still "need" something around 4.
    The shakes, yeah, sometimes, I need fast. (In case you hadn't figured it out - I am NOT an early riser )

I think the 50g is an arbitrary number. Jack Kruse (who I think is a total arse btw), quotes a study as his reference where the study group ate 25g of protein, it sounds like a "if some is good, more must be better right?" kind of idea to me. Try reading The Leptin Diet by Byron Richards if you want to see where Kruse stole his ideas from. In a nutshell, the point is to eat a good, protein-containing breakfast first thing, only eat 3 meals a day, don't snack and allow 3 hours after eating before bed. The rest of the 'reset' is made up by Kruse who is a neurosurgeon and not a biochemist and has never conducted any research into his theories and is basically testing them on this community - and not just this one, the man's a bloody virus, he's everywhere!
    Interesting. I could easily do 25g. 50 seems forced and unnatural to me...
    I haven't really read anything by either of them, just some Forum posts...

As for ideas, I often eat steak and eggs, or fry up some sliced lamb and kale with a curry/masala paste. If I'm in a real hurry I'll chuck 4-5 eggs in a pan with butter and cream and make a real quick scramble, although I find that doesn't keep me satiated for as long as a meat-containing breakfast does.
    Thanks for the ideas.

I'm making one of those this weekend.... with this...

It's an ostrich egg that Pete bought for me!
    WOW!!
    How many chicken eggs would that equal??

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Now that's an egg!! How's the taste in comparison to chicken eggs?

I agree that having meat with the eggs is more satisfying for longer than just the eggs. I'm still playing around with the big breakfast thing, but still not totally convinced it's me. More trial and error to find what feels best (and creates progress in the right direction). In the end, I think it still comes down to quantities of food in total, it's still easy to eat more primal stuff than what is needed. Too easy, unfortunately. The trick is finding just how much your body needs to be satisfied, not hungry, and still burn your own fat stores.
    I'm not convinced either.
    I agree with the "quantity of food" idea, and unfortunately, when I eat a big breakfast, I still eat the same lunch and supper as when I IF....so in the end, I'm actually eating more...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Thursday
    Food
    6:30: ham & spinach quiche, protein shake
    11:30: chicken breast, avocado, spicy squash soup
    around 3: I WANTED chocolate!!!!! But I didn’t but any. I drank a 750ml Perrier instead...
    5:30: ham, roasted veggies, squash soup,
    8:30: dark chocolate covered cranberries

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes

I don’t know if the early morning high protein breakfast thing is for me...
    I think I’m just eating more...
    I had SUCH an intense craving for chocolate in the afternoon...BUT I didn’t buy anything...

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Spri
    nt
    nope

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
    11:00 – 5:45 am – When my Farmer came home
    I had to work in London.
    No sun, it was another crappy cold damp October day.

I'm glad that my Farmer is home
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Friday
    Food

12:00: spicy squash soup, fried ham slices
    5:00: wine
    6:00: BBQ pork loin, cauliflower, fried onions, peppers and tomatoes, coconut oil & dark chocolate squares

No early morning high protein breakfast today...I felt sick this morning – sore throat, headache, cold.

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
    Nope. Most of the day was spent curled up on the couch with a blanket and WoT.

12:00 – 8:35 am – drove Daughter to school and then crawled back into bed.
    No sun, it was another crappy cold damp October day. I’m SO tired of rain

Nothing accomplished today.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Too bad for a mooseless homecoming, but I'm sure you're happy to have your farmer home, regardless .

When I do the big breakfast, I don't eat again till suppertime. Yeah, it wouldn't work so well if you still have the regular lunch and supper on top. Maybe it's just not for you. I am getting tired of many of the threads where a few individuals are constantly pushing the LR thing onto everybody and ranting that it's the only way to get anywhere. An awful lot of primal people seem to be doing quite well, thank you very much, with finding their own best method of success. You and I just haven't quite figured out what that means for each of us. God knows, I'm still experimenting.

Hope you feel better tomorrow. Maybe some wine will help heheheheh. <bad greensprout>

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    WOW!!
    How many chicken eggs would that equal??
    I don't know, the average chicken egg is 60g - This weighs 1.3kg! That's what - 21? Although apparently the shell on an ostrich egg is very thick and heavy. I'll let you know when I crack it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Saturday
    Food

12:00: 3 egg frittata with ham, mushrooms, onion, cheese and tomato
    5:00: wine
    7:30: pulled pork, an onion salad (really awesome – but probably not primal) cheese, date squares, more wine

Another IF, no early morning protein...
    Probably too much wine...
    The date squares were worth it

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
    Nope
    I really have to change this

2am – 11:30am – I stayed up reading...

We went to a 50th surprise birthday party for a guy who works with my Farmer. We’ve known him for...idk...26 years...pot luck supper...I chose the best I could...

I “created” a new “rule” while in the kitchen at the party (at a house I’d never been to, held by people I’d never met before). They had some cream liqueur and shot glasses set out, so I decided that there was a “cost” to using the bathroom – you had to have a “shot” A few tried to sneak past me, but I just caught them on the way out

The hostess thought I was a riot and said she’d have to have me back again
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy