Page 151 of 415 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 4144

Thread: Primal Journal (winencandy) page 151

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    What the.... ???

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    A towel... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.
    - Douglas Adams

From H2G2

Annual Towel Day

Since 2001, 25 May has been recognised as international Towel Day, a day of celebration for the life and work of Douglas Adams. On this day fans of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy author are encouraged to carry a towel around with them wherever they go, and commemorative events are organised worldwide.

or

towelday.org

"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very, very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
    - Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Suse is offline Senior Member
    hitchhikers guide to the galaxy... i recall this used to be on tv when i was quite young. had bit of a cult following i believe. If only I'd known, I would have worn a towel to work today

Ha-HA!!

I can't believe how much I've forgotten about that book. I read it when I was about 15 and loved it, but clearly it's time to pick it up again.

I didn't see anyone carrying a towel today, so clearly it's fallen out of favour these days.

Maybe May
    1. Work on the 20th Anniversary Band video – ah…no
    2. SLEEP – 9 hours
    3. Exercise – Do SOMETHING Physical every day!!! – nope

Food
    Protein shake with berries and coconut milk, 3 slices of bacon, a couple protein/coconut cubes.
    Stir fry: pork, cauliflower, carrots, onions, green pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, water chestnut, and bean sprouts. Perrier pink grapefruit water. Chai. Coconut heart, protein cube, 1 square of Lindt 85%

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes
    So far the Perrier is working as a pre-dinner wine substitute.

I got tired of writing down food times…it was between 11am and 6pm, usual times…

If I don't finish this band video soon, it will classify as a VERY BIG STUPID MISTAKE!
    SO, from now until June 6th (the concert) every day I don't work on it is a VERY BIG STUPID MISTAKE!!

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
    Nope

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain

Bed last night around 11, up around 8:30 to drive my daughter to school. I stayed up!
    Some MDA, cleaning, laundry – you know all the stuff I seem to have to do everyday…

I had a hair appointment at noon today. Time to hide the greys…
    It started raining as I was walking to the shoppe, but luckily I had my towel with me, so I could dry off my glasses when I got there!!!

Same as last time. Highlights and Lowlights intermingled with the grey…I like it, except this time there is a blonde streak right at my part…I’m not so sure I like that.

When I was done I walked to the grocery store and bought another Perrier. The towel in by bag worked perfectly to wrap around the glass…

More laundry waiting for me when I got home.

The pouring rain, lightening and thunder caused the satellite (both TV and internet) to stop working for a few hours. It’s finally back on. For now.

My Daughter had her final band concert tonight. It was POURING rain with lightening and thunder!
    I used an umbrella and wore a pair of my son’s boots to the car. At the school I changed into the suede boots. Umbrella again, however, once I was inside, my towel was very useful to dry off with, again!!

Now why don’t I carry one all the time???
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

So, I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Did well today, not thinking too much about eats other than making sure everything is nutritious and delicious.
    and think Excellent!

Which ties into what I came here to post about...

This morning I noticed a Starbucks on my way into a grocery store. I thought "After I'm done."
    Inside the grocery store I found myself debating over $2 regular vs $4 organic strawberries..."Double the price!" grumble, grumble, grumble...

It's not until after I walked out of the store and saw the Starbucks sign again that I realized "OMG, I would have had NO problem spending $4 on a Chai Latte, but I'm debating spending $4 for organic strawberries???

WTF is WRONG with me!?!?!?!?!?!?
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Suse is offline Senior Member
    indeed, makes you realise doesnt it...

but did you buy the organic strawbs?

I was hoping no one would ask that...

nope...
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

I know what you mean. I spend a lot more money on food now, not in total I don't think, because I buy less packaged stuff, but (for example) I spend $17 on a litre of coconut oil instead of $4 on vegetable oil. I pay $6.50 for omega-3, free-range eggs instead of $3 for battery cage ones. But I figure it's an investment against future medical bills.
    It's hard when you see the comparison right in front of you though, I still get grumpy about having to pay so much more for stuff when the cheaper option is sat right next to it. Especially because we pay more for stuff that's had less done to it, you would think the more processing that's involved the higher the cost, but not so, it's a little frustrating. I guess that when you add all the shit in to stuff though you get more out of it. You can probably get 10 kilos of hot-dogs from a 2 kilo pork shoulder.
    Anyway, I ramble...