Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "woman" stuff page

melodious is offline Senior Member

"woman" stuff

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Question for all you Primal ladiees out there (and Primal men, if you've got a lady in your life who has dealt with these issues):

My period sucks. At its worst, it can result in me vomiting for 3-4 days every month. At its best, I take around the maximum recommended amount of Aleve for those same 3-4 days and just deal with nausea and bloating and pain shooting down my legs at random intervals.

This is my first cylce wherein I've lived clean the whole time. I drank once, and that was just three glasses of wine one evening, weeks ago. Not very strong wine, either. Frankly, I'd been nursing a secret hope that the grains and sugars in my life were a direct cause of the pain and nausea. Evidently not.

I have often said that if I could find whatever the problem is and stop it, I would be willing to engage in almost any lifestyle choice.
    So...suggestions? Anyone else had to deal with this?

Melodious

mizski is offline Senior Member
    What does your gyn think it is? From the info in your post the cause could be so many things (PCOS, endo, fibroids, etc.). I had fibroids that had symptoms that you describe and no dietary or lifestyle change was going to help that. Sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions to offer.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    It took about three months for Primal to cure my awful periods. I was definitely disappointed not to see results quicker; but I had some significant hormonal disturbances going in. It might just be a waiting game for you as well. I don't think I've heard from anyone yet around here who hasn't seen huge improvements in period pain and illness after some time living primal.

Gyn historically has just said "oh, well". It's definitely not PCOS (my best friend has that and I'm very familiar with her symptoms).
    Of my 5 sisters and myself, 4 of us have this kind of pain. My mother does not. Given the genetic tilt, I think that's why the gyno just accepts it as a family problem.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Of my 5 sisters and I, 5 of us have thyroid issues and 5 of us have had our gallbladders out. If a doctor ignored/blew off symptoms just because other family members were so afflicted, said doctor would be fired.

That being said, have you had your hormones checked--thyroid, estradiol, progesterone, testosterone? Other things to check include Vitamin D, ferritin, blood sugar (fasting & Hb1ac).

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I second getting the thyroid checked, don't take their word for it if they say it is fine, ask for a copy of the values so you can research the results on your own. Make sure they do a complete thyroid panel, not just TSH, but free T4, free T3, ugh and one more I can't remember.

This may sound weird, but if you use tampons, stop. They can make cramps worse and increase your flow. I started using a product called a Diva cup a few years ago and my cramps are just about non-existent now.

ginabmonkey is offline Junior Member
    Agree with NutMeg about stopping tampon use if you do use them. I always had more painful periods with tampon use. I think endometriosis sounds like a likely culprit. My mom had that and always had severely painful periods.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you're eating enough fat?

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    The tampon thing is worth a try because I've heard it from so many women, but it didn't make any difference in my pain (I like my Divacup though).

Endometriosis is tough. It's difficult to get a formal diagnosis (need to have a larascopy, often it's confirmed during abdominal surgery for other reasons), and there's really no treatment other than BC regimens, painkillers, or surgeries/endometrial oblation in severe cases. Hope it's not that, and you'll see some improvements long-term with a primal diet.

I don't use tampons (I've always hated them), and as for fat, yesterday I ate more than 100 grams of it. Admittedly, I've only tracked calories and fat for the last few days, but the lowest I've hit is 92g.
    I like bacon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast