Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I cook a beef roast in a crock pot? page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

How do I cook a beef roast in a crock pot?

Shop Now
    I have heard roast is great in a crockpot, but have no idea how to proceed. All the recipes I see online are like... beef + potatoes...

Don't I need some kind of liquid in there? To cover the meat all the way, or partway up, or...? I see recipes that mention broth but it's all expressed in cups, not height on the beef (make sense?)

The crockpot has a probe so it can automatically cut off at a certain meat temperature. I guess if I stop it at 125 or 130, then it goes into "warm" mode for a couple hours till we get home -- it'll probably finish cooking...

Heeeelp and thank you!
    Last edited by Jenny; 09-09-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

dakini is offline Senior Member
    I just throw in the meat, some beef stock and water, and veggies (carrots mostly) and then if I want any other veggies I add them at the end or heat them up separately. Or you can just cook the meat....I don't worry about covering the beef with the liquid because crockpots end up with more liquid at the end. But, if it cooks too long you can get some burning on the sides of the crockpot from the liquid.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Sear meat, throw in crock pot. Add enough broth/ stock for 1-2" depth. Cook until done, rotating roast every coupla hours. If you forget to rotate it, don't worry about it. Add liquid as need to keep from burning. When meat is falling apart, add veggies. Cook til veggies are tender.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    here's my grandmother's recipe:
    layer the following in a pot in this order:
    Thick sliced onions
    2-3 bay leaves
    Chuck roast
    paprika
    salt and pepper

slap the lid on it and go for 6-8 hours.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    I make it without any liquid. The roasts make plenty of their own. I 2nd the sear/throw in pot method for deliciousness, but I've made plenty without searing first and they are fine. I throw big chunks of onion, celery and carrots (or sweet potato if I have one) in the bottom of the pot. Place roast on top. Dump in lots of salt and pepper. 8-12 hrs later, I eat it. If I'm feeling indulgent, I mix some cream cheese in with the liquid at the bottom of the pot to make it gravy-y.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    This is maybe more pot roast than roast beef (is there a difference?)
    I take a 2.5-3 LB bottom roast and rub it all over with salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and garlic powder. Then I brown the sides in a frying pan with some olive oil.

Next, chop up a bunch of carrots and celery and put them in the bottom of the crock pot. Then put in the roast, and on top throw in a chopped onion. Then add one can (15 oz.) of tomato sauce (I use Muir Glen Organics- no added sugar.)

Put the crock pot on high for one hour (to warm it up), then on low for 7 hours. It comes out perfectly for me every time!

Have fun.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Here's the easiest way. Throw the meat in the crockpot, pour on a glass or half of water and turn the crockpot on high or low depending how quick you want it cooked.

Be careful with roasts because they can cook quicker than you expect. I did one in four hours. Keep checking it to see how fast it cooks in your pot and then you'll know how long to leave it for next time.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I made one the other day using a can of Harvest Select French Onion soup, poured it over the chuck roast and let it go. So yummy!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hi everybody, thanks so much for the advice! I took the "sear it, then throw it in with carrots, onions, and broth" approach. I'm using a temperature probe so the slow cooker will turn off automatically, and my husband Optimus Primal is home monitoring. We'll see how it goes!

Fred flintstone is offline Junior Member
    I get a 4 lb chuck arm roast from local butcher, and give a good rub with my favorite spices.Broil on high on both sides for 3 min each to seal in juices.Transfer to crockpot on low with water to the halfway mark on the meat.I have found for a 4lb chunk of delicous dead cow carcass its takes about 3.5-4 hrs for med rare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast