Thread: Keeping primal in the college dorms. page

Mattthias is offline Junior Member

Keeping primal in the college dorms.

Primal Fuel
    Greetings forumites,
    I am starting university in a week. One of main concerns of the move is keeping myself fed and watered in accordance to the Primal Blueprint. I'm going to be doing my best to forage in the dining halls and on-campus eateries, but I'm mostly worried about how to eat in my dorm room.

What sorts of primal foods can you prepare using a microwave and a mini-fridge?

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattthias View Post
    Greetings forumites,
    I am starting university in a week. One of main concerns of the move is keeping myself fed and watered in accordance to the Primal Blueprint. I'm going to be doing my best to forage in the dining halls and on-campus eateries, but I'm mostly worried about how to eat in my dorm room.

What sorts of primal foods can you prepare using a microwave and a mini-fridge?
    Do you're dorms have any of those communal outdoor grils? if you steak-it-up out there. Mine did when i was in school and i cooked on them all the time. I'd make myself some batty's blueberry butter balls of benevolence if i were you. Good for keeping in the mini-fridge

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    for the microwave: sweet potatoes work really well, same with thin white fish like tilapia, orange roughy, whiting. If you really wanted to you could even cook chicken thighs in the microwave, I did it regularly when I was in a dorm room, the only catch is that it doesn't taste nearly as good and you need to cover it because it will 'pop' occasionally.

otherwise: canned fish, coconut flakes, any veggies that you like to eat raw, nuts, seeds, and of course butter to spread atop anything and everything.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    A lot of veggies can be steamed pretty well in the microwave.. just add a little water (or leave them really wet after washing), and cover the container most of the way but leave a little room for air to escape.
    Buying one of those $5ish cooked rotisserie chickens from the store will give you a couple meals of meat.
    There's canned tuna, salmon, chicken, sardines.
    Find a good source of jerky that doesn't have lots of sugar and junk.
    Bacon microwaves quite well, and microwaving has been shown to produce less of those carcinogenic compounds from the nitrites than frying does, so that's a plus!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Do you're dorms have any of those communal outdoor grils? if you steak-it-up out there. Mine did when i was in school and i cooked on them all the time. I'd make myself some batty's blueberry butter balls of benevolence if i were you. Good for keeping in the mini-fridge
    I want the recipe for the benevolent balls (wow, that just doesn't sound right unless you say the full name But seriously--I googled and came up with no mention of them

as to OP, others suggestions for rotisserie chicken and canned meats are excellent suggestions. Fruits and veggies are easy enough--they require no fridge and can be eaten raw of steamed in the microwave! Also, you may want to get some protein powder for meal replacement shakes.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    My dorm had a kitchen and a set of pans that actually included a wonderfully-seasoned carbon steel wok. I bought a decent cutting board and a few sharp knives and I'd make a couple batches of meat-/w-stuff-in-a-pan during the week. I usually made 4-6 servings and packaged up the leftovers before I even did dishes (the kitchen was also stocked with dishsoap). Then all I needed to do was grab one and pop it in the microwave. Hard boiled eggs are convenient and fast for breakfast. Chopped salads are easy and terrific with a cup of primal chili.

Sometimes I'd make a pot of soup, and would take my books into the kitchen and study while stuff simmered. It was also a great way to meet people - folks would always want to pop their head in and see what smelled good. Sure it wasn't a great kitchen, and you wouldn't have wanted to make anything complex there, but it was more than sufficient to make some simple-yet-awesome one-pot primal meals. My little fridge could easily hold enough food for nearly a week.