Thread: Symptoms of Lactose intolerance page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Question Symptoms of Lactose intolerance

Primal Fuel
    Because I'm feeling so shitty, and I'm gaining, I'm wondering if I'm lactose intolerant. What are the general symptoms of LI (should known this, but I don't). I have a VERY pregnant looking belly for a start and my hands, feet, calves and ankles are very puffy. I also spent all of last night on the bog with the worst case if the shits and arseburn known to humankind! It took 4 doses of Imodium before it'd quit (this now means I'm gonna be constipated for about the next fortnight! Gotta love IBS (or as I prefer to call it, GAS (Grumpy Arse Syndrome)!)

If I am LI (this was one of the main reasons I wanted to see that ruddy stupid numpty of an NT. She won't read here, she believes Primal to be "extremely dangerous" and I'm going to die in about a year if I carry on like this) is it still 'safe' to eat NLY (I have 3 tubs of Total 10% Greek in the fridge - you Yanks call it Fage, which is the manufacturer) and I've read several places that those who are LI can still eat NLY because the bacteria consumes the lactose.

Is this the case? Or is it just better to quit it, full stop...?

Thank you folks

Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    How to determine if you are lactose intolerant:

Step 1) Stop consuming dairy
    Step 2) Monitor resulting changes in physiology
    (tongue-in-cheek)

An alternative method:

Google "Am I lactose intolerant?"

The preferred method

Search "Lactose" on MDA's main site. This was the first and most relevant link: The Definitive Guide to Dairy

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I can handle small quantities of dairy if I dilute it with lots of other food. For example, I can get away with sprinkling 1/2 oz of cheese on a spinach/meat salad, or I can mix some yogurt with lots of cucumber as a curry side-dish.

But if I eat too much at one time I get major gas pains, and if I eat even small quantities on a daily basis, my face breaks out in zits.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I just take the lactase pills and I am fine now with dairy. Before that, bloated, gassy, etc.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    There are various problems with dairy.

lactose intolerance
    sensitivity to the casein which is very hard to digest and can cross undigested (given enough gut damage) and attach to the opiate receptors in the brain, causing spaciness, fatigue, brain fog etc
    the amount of cals/sugar - many will overdo dairy in ways they don't overdo other foods
    the hormones - all dairy is hormone delivery system *for the young of that species*

I do eat it sometimes b/c I love it but I try to make it a rare thing nowadays. I try to stick with heavy cream for coffee if no coconut milk is available and occasionally I'll have some greek yogurt - but not regularly as it triggers reflux for me.

Consider also fructose malabsorption.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i get the gi symptoms as well as headaches, acne and fatigue. here's my question for you guys: is ghee okay for those with milk allergies, not lactose intolerance, but allergies. there's a brand that says it's 100% casein and lactose free. it's still basically dairy though.
    p.s. also i get post nasal drip which is nasty nasty
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    There are various problems with dairy.

lactose intolerance
    sensitivity to the casein which is very hard to digest and can cross undigested (given enough gut damage) and attach to the opiate receptors in the brain, causing spaciness, fatigue, brain fog etc
    the amount of cals/sugar - many will overdo dairy in ways they don't overdo other foods
    the hormones - all dairy is hormone delivery system *for the young of that species*

I do eat it sometimes b/c I love it but I try to make it a rare thing nowadays. I try to stick with heavy cream for coffee if no coconut milk is available and occasionally I'll have some greek yogurt - but not regularly as it triggers reflux for me.

Consider also fructose malabsorption.
    Thank you, Cilla, but don't give me anything else to worry about! This is becoming harder and harder for me as it is!

I don't believe I've ever had a problem with fruit, but what I eat these days seems to be limited to low(er) carb fruits such as berries and apples.

Just trying to get to the bottom (probably literally!) of what's going on, because I'm certainly NOT losing fat in the way I thought I would. Maybe I'm eating more carbs than I think I am (I do tend to graze on things (it's hard living with ya folks when you have a mother who doesn't really understand!)

I'll post up a typical day and see what you all think.

Thanks

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    I'm LI, and was completely off dairy for 2 years before I discovered Ganeden Digestive Advantage for Lactose Intolerance. It's one pill a day of lactase, other enzymes, and probiotics, and I can eat absolutely as much dairy as I want with no LI symptoms. I was SEVERELY intolerant before, and would have nightmares about drinking a milkshake and dying, etc. (now I avoid milkshakes for the sugar, obviously!) I've been doing this for 4 years, and it hasn't lost its effectiveness. I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I get it from Amazon as a monthly subscription!

http://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Adva...4086172&sr=8-3
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    is ghee okay for those with milk allergies, not lactose intolerance, but allergies. there's a brand that says it's 100% casein and lactose free.
    Just wanted to share that although we don't have actual 'allergies' here, my ds gets a rash, extreme runny nose/watery eyes, and typically a cold for a week if he consumes even a small amount of dairy. BUT, the casein/lactose free ghee we buy he does fine with. But, again, he has an intolerance (not lactose intolerance--he does not tolerate the casein either--I know b/c he's tried products w/ small amounts of goat's milk casein and reacted...), but NOT an actual allergy.

HTH!