Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I probably have a silly question. page

Shelly1963 is offline Junior Member

Okay, I probably have a silly question.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am new to the primal eating lifestyle and I have seen a lot of reference to coconut and almond flour. My question is does the coconut flour taste like coconut? The Coconut Pancakes sound good, but I do not know if I could handle the coconut flavor in a pancake. Thanks!

Shelly

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I've read that some brands do taste coconutty. I use Bob's Red Mill coco flour and don't really notice a coconut flavor especially when I use it to make savory foods.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I don't notice the flavor, but I use so much coconut oil that I'm probably immune to it unless it's really strong. Heck, give it a try. One pound goes a long way. In the pancake recipe, it's only 1/4 cup flour to 4 eggs.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think it does taste like coconut. But coconut pancakes are kind of like an alcoholic drinking near-beer to some extent. I've done it a couple of times I must admit. Better imhop to stick w/eggs + meat & veg for breakfast. If you want to, go ahead don't get me wrong. But you'll generally find that "substitute" foods aren't really as satisfying overall - everyone has their own journey though.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    Coconut flour is finely ground coconut. So, you will get some coconut flavour. I like coming up with blends of tastes like almond & coconut, or hazelnut & chocolate. Coconut flour is very tricky to work with as it is super-dooper dry. If you have the time, try different recipes & experiment!! I agree with tfarny on the breakfast thing. I love frittatas, scrambles, omelettes etc for breakfast. as a garnish for bacon ;p

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I think it smells more like coconut than tastes like it- I bet it won't bother you. It's not like eating coconut flakes. I use the Bob's Red Mill.
    You can add cinnamon and a spoonful of pecan meal to alter the taste of the batter (yummy!). I prefer eggy pancakes, so I taste the egg more than anything else when I make mine. I use a ratio of 1 TB. flour to 1 egg and add cream to thin the batter. If you want them super fluffy, use only the whites and whip them before folding in.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    The longer you are primal, the more tolerance & even cravings you will have for things you never would before.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

cookie is offline Senior Member
    coconut flour has a pretty neutral flavor, but before it is cooked it smells slightly sweet like coconut. i bake with it very often, and i have made non-coconutty things with it... pizza crust, cookies, breads, biscuits, cobblers.. you name it. there are a million different blogs that use it in recipes, here are a few:
    elanaspantry.com
    eatthecookie.wordpress.com
    comfybelly.com
    good luck!
    ps i always add a small handful of almond flour/almond meal in my coconut flour pancakes for better texture.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    oops, looks like hazyjane tackled that before i got a chance to read it!

Shelly1963 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone! I did buy Bob's Red Mill and tried to buy Almond Flour but the place where they order it from was out of stock so I will have to wait on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast