Thread: tonsillitis? page

reamz is offline Senior Member

tonsillitis?

I was just wondering today about why some people get tonsillitis often and some people never get it? A google search yielded nothing helpful, so is anyone aware of any research or possible theories?
    Also, apart from the usual medical advice to rest, drink plenty of fluids, take painkillers, and possibly antibiotics, is anyone aware of any measures one can take to shorten the duration of the illness, or to prevent future infections? Any personal experience?
    TIA

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    You may find that the use of a neti pot may help clear your sinuses and help you breathe better while you're sick. I used a lot of chloroceptic spray to make swallowing easier.

Yes. Some people will get tonsillitis often and some will never get it. My ENT told me the greatest predictor of tonsillitis is a history of tonsillitis. I'd had one case of not-in-my-tonsils strep when I was a kid, then I got a case of tonsillitis during a period of high stress in late 2008. In 2009, at the age of 24, I had tonsillitis SEVEN times, five of those in a 8 week period over the summer. I got my tonsils and adenoids out over Christmas break (I'm a grad student) and it was such a great decision. Hurt like heck, but totally worth it. I haven't had more that a sniffle this year. My allergies improved tremendously (and this was supposedly a really bad year for pollen allergies!) and I don't snore any more! (doc says given the size of my adenoids I probably had sleep apena and didn't know it)

Is tonsillectomy for you? I don't know, but it was a lifesaver for me.