Thread: Integrating kettlebells into Primal Blueprint Fitness routine? page

Kazazi is offline Junior Member

Question Integrating kettlebells into Primal Blueprint Fitness routine?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys, I am pretty new here, so forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it at first glance:

Do you have any recommendations how I could integrate kettlebell training (as a relative newbie) into Mark's suggested Primal Blueprint Fitness routine (to which I am a complete newbie)?

I wrote about this in some more detail in my primal journal, copying my questions below:

A few months ago, I read about kettlebells on here, ordered one online and started to work my way through "From Russia With Tough Love". I had just about gotten through the 8 week intro programme when two things happened: Mark's exercise book came out and I got ill.

So for now I am a little stumped on how to continue. I've got easy moving covered with my bike commute, plan to integrate my sprints mostly with the cycling (and have done so a little in the past) and consider my yoga as play. For the weights, I am keen to go with Mark's LHT programme but would also like to keep the kettlebell in my repertoire. I am unsure how to best do this though. For one thing, the kbell exercises only partly overlap with the five primal movements, so I am unsure how to mix and match them into a good primal weight workout that also follows Mark's programme and develops my skills there. And then I am unsure anyway how to best continue with the kettlebell because up to now the kbell book just told me what to do each day and I don't feel I have the experience and confidence yet to naturally come up with the best freestyle workout ideas.

So, if any of you have tips for me, I'd love to hear them.

Many thanks in advance,

Kaz

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I think incorporating kettlebells into your workout schedule is a great idea. I'd recommend kb squats, swings, cleans, presses and any other movements that you feel comfortable/confident with. You should still do some type of push-ups, pull-ups and planks with your body weight, too.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd do a mix. Alternate each workout... bw/kb/bw/kb

gator70 is offline Member
    Swings and snatches make great "sprint" workouts. For example knock out as many as you can in 10 minutes, or do 5 minute intervals with a break in between. You can easily incorporate overhead presses into the BW workouts. Kettlebells are great for the lift heavy things concept. Presses, squats, farmers walks, overhead farmers walks etc...

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing the PB fitness followed by a quick kettlebell session (swings, snatches, cleans & presses). I will also do a full KB workout in place of PBF. Play with it and do what feels right for you.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Kazazi is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everybody for the helpful advice! I really like the alternating idea and will go with that to start with. Using kettlebells for sprints hadn't even entered my mind but I will definitely give that a try, too.

I properly tried the five primal movements workout on Sunday and was pretty much flattened by it, so definitely want to focus properly on improving with the bodyweight stuff one day a week, although I can also see how I can integrate kettlebell squats with the squatting portion of that workout, maybe a couple of weeks down the line. Al_Kavadlo, you mentioned swings, cleans and presses, would you do them as part of a lift heavy things workout and have them replace all or part of one or several of the primal movements (if so, which ones?) or would you do a workout like you suggest instead of a regular LHT workout?

Annika, what is a quick kettlebell session of swings, snatches, cleans & presses for you (how many, how long)? And what a full KB workout? Would be great to hear details if you don't mind sharing as I am still so new at this and would find real life examples very helpful in figuring out how to move on from the eight week intro in FRWTL myself.

Which really leaves me just with the question of whether and how best to use kettlebells either on "play/rest" days. Do you have suggestion for <10 minutes of kettlebell based morning exercise that would be fun and beneficial and perhaps not be too intense for a play/rest day?

Thanks once again everybody

gator70, I have never heard of farmers walks, can you recommend a good source or video where to check them out?

Annika is offline Senior Member
    After a PBF workout, I might do 30 x 2 swings, 15 x 2 snatches (each side), 10 clean/press each side. Just a guess - I'm not super careful about counting reps. As a standalone workout, I will do more sets of the above plus TGUs, punch & crunch, and another thing I can't remember the name of - pullover crunch, I think. I love kettlebells!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    What is your experience with kettlebells? I ask because I would not recommend anyone do "sprint" workouts with kettlebells until they master the movements.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazazi View Post
    Thank you everybody for the helpful advice! I really like the alternating idea and will go with that to start with. Using kettlebells for sprints hadn't even entered my mind but I will definitely give that a try, too.

I properly tried the five primal movements workout on Sunday and was pretty much flattened by it, so definitely want to focus properly on improving with the bodyweight stuff one day a week, although I can also see how I can integrate kettlebell squats with the squatting portion of that workout, maybe a couple of weeks down the line. Al_Kavadlo, you mentioned swings, cleans and presses, would you do them as part of a lift heavy things workout and have them replace all or part of one or several of the primal movements (if so, which ones?) or would you do a workout like you suggest instead of a regular LHT workout?

Annika, what is a quick kettlebell session of swings, snatches, cleans & presses for you (how many, how long)? And what a full KB workout? Would be great to hear details if you don't mind sharing as I am still so new at this and would find real life examples very helpful in figuring out how to move on from the eight week intro in FRWTL myself.

Which really leaves me just with the question of whether and how best to use kettlebells either on "play/rest" days. Do you have suggestion for <10 minutes of kettlebell based morning exercise that would be fun and beneficial and perhaps not be too intense for a play/rest day?

Thanks once again everybody

gator70, I have never heard of farmers walks, can you recommend a good source or video where to check them out?
    Yeah I'd say do the KB's as a lift heavy things workout either in conjunction with or on a separate day from your bodyweight training. There isn't a hard and fast rule for this.

A farmers walk basically just involves walking a certain distance (anywhere from maybe 10-100 meters) while carrying weights in your hands.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com