Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-organic eggs? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

With the subtraction of grains, naturally eggs would be the next staple of my diet. Lately I've found myself eating as much as 6 organic eggs a day to satisfy my caloric needs. That's about 3.5 dozens a week, 25$ just in eggs. Obviously I can't afford organic much longer (I'm a college student.) So my question is: should I opt for non-organic eggs, or am I better off with no eggs at all? Same with milk.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

maba is offline Senior Member

I believe you can do away with milk. But can you cut down on something else to ensure you get your organic eggs. Btw, I hope you mean pastured eggs. Organic eggs (from hens that are fed Organic GRAINS) shouldn&#39;t cost you that much.

The brand is Eggland&#39;s Best.

http://www.egglandsbest.com/home.aspx

Seven dollars for 2 dozens at costco.

What do you think?

maba is offline Senior Member

It says "Organic Vegetarian Feed", which means Organic Grains - not the natural diet of chicken. I think the price is steep. I pay about $4/doz for pastured eggs - from hens that are free to roam on a pasture and eat grubs and insects. Do you have access to a farmer&#39;s market or a farm. You could work out a deal, you can say you&#39;ll buy 3-4 dozens every week and see if they can give you a discount.

There are many markets around NYC but I doubt they are organic. It&#39;s still worth taking a look at I guess, especially at Chinatown (very cheap). But then again, this IS New York. The next farm must be about 2 thousand miles away.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Wow, that&#39;s really expensive. I think our EB eggs are like 1.60ish per dozen... I don&#39;t love that they&#39;re from vegetarian (read: grain-fed) chickens... but they&#39;re what&#39;s in our store.

No help on the bad eggs vs. no eggs issue... though I guess I&#39;ve made my choice - we eat the EBs all the time, 3 dozen a week for the 2 of us. (1.5 doz each approximately though I think my husband eats more than I do of course).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

rahchis is offline Junior Member

rphlslv,

I live in Brooklyn and work in SoHo. The greenamarkets (farmers&#39; markets) at Union Square, Fort Greene, Carroll Garden and Grand Army Plaza all feature farmers selling eggs from chickens that are at least partially pastured. I buy dozens of jumbo-sized eggs for $4 a carton.

rahchis is offline Junior Member

The farms aren&#39;t that far from the city. Most of the farmers are from upstate New York.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

FNW, that&#39;s a price of a couple of dimes more than conventional eggs. Is that a commissary price?

EB here costs about $3, IIRC.

Maba, sure pastured eggs are the best. Also the hardest to find. I imagine especially in NYC. And, grains are most certainly a part of the normal diet of chickens. The addition of bugs and critters make a better diet, but to expect to buy eggs without having grain put into them is not realistic. Just because grains are bad for us doesn&#39;t mean they are for birds.

Nick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I know for a fact Dan Barber has a farm real close to NYC (http://www.bluehillfarm.com/) with accompanying restaurant, so it&#39;s not impossible that there are farms there. I know I&#39;ve heard of people buying raw milk from Connecticut where it&#39;s legal.

Eggland&#39;s Best only cost me $3 for 18 at Sam&#39;s, so I guess that&#39;s just the NY premium to charge you $3.50 for the same thing I get for $2 even at a warehouse store.

I&#39;m going to be picking up 12 dozen eggs from my egg guy tomorrow. He does $5 per 18 pack, so $3.33/dz, which is less than you&#39;re paying for Eggland&#39;s Best (which is produced in large factory barns in California), and mine are genuinely pastured with chickens at around 100 to an acre.

I&#39;ve read articles talking about how there are farmers markets now even in NYC and Washington, D.C., so maybe try to find one and see if you can get a good price on quantity. But you need to learn how to interrogate farmers about their practices and what they feed the hens and so on.

The EB eggs are at least supplemented with ALA, so their O6:O3 ratio maybe isn&#39;t as bad as the cheapest of eggs, so there&#39;s some reason to pay the premium if you can&#39;t get anything else, but pastured would be better.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast