Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond Butter Ice Cream page

Anonymous Guest

Shop Now

Last night I was considering the fat in ice cream and was wondering about almond butter ice cream.

I came across this recipe:

http://barneybutter.com/recipes/ice-cream.html

While it obviously has dairy in it, it's not entirely primal.

I've been curious lately about using fruit as a sugar replacement in things. I made bread and used a banana to sweeten it, and it worked pretty well. Wondering if an apple or banana instead of the sugar would work in this. It'd obviously change the consistency of it.

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Sounds incredible.

What about coconut milk instead of cream, if you're worried about dairy?

I think a banana'd work great. 3/4 cup sugar just seems excessive, and I find I'm more sensitive to sweetness now.

I don't have access to an ice cream maker just yet, but my folks have one that doesn't get much use. I'll have to nab it next time I see them.

Lemme know if you try it out.

Anonymous Guest

I'm not worried about dairy.

But, yeah, i was considering the sweetness sensitivity thing. I've been making flax/almond meal bread, and thinking about putting a puree'd apple in to make it a little sweet for breakfasts.

I just have to justify an ice cream machine, though, which I don't know if I can do. Wonder if I could trade my almost new rice cooker for one.

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

unsweetened applesauce is a great sweetener for baking.

MikeFrench668 Guest

This does sound great!

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Okay you guys.

I just made this.

But I changed the recipe to use coconut milk, stevia and simplify the overall process.

O.M.G. <major drool>

It's so good.

Let me tell you how I did it.

I halved the recipe (using the original recipe from the link-- I halved it just in case it didn't turn out, didn't want to waste my precious eggs )

Over medium heat-- Put 3 yolks in a saucepan and whisked with 1 can of whole coconut milk. Added a shake of salt. To that add about 1/3-1/2 cup of raw almond butter. Mix well to combine.

Heated over medium heat til it coated the back of a spoon. Added stevia to taste.

I put the whole pan in the freezer to cool.

When cool, I transferred whole batch to the ice cream maker and churned for the specified amount of time (about 15 mins).

Very very tasty. This recipe's a keeper.

Anonymous Guest

awesome!

Ecala is offline Junior Member

timconradinc! get an ice cream maker! You won't reget it, I promise.

Anonymous Guest

i'm pretty excited about this recipe for a number of reasons. mostly because i really like ice cream, but don't have it that often. If I could figure out a reasonable sweetener - like the fruit i mentioned - for this, it'd be a pretty nice treat for me.

Assuming, of course, I could spread it out over more than 1 sitting. But, with fruit, it wouldn't be so bad - 1 apple or banana would be fine.

MikeFrench668 Guest

Awesome Ecala! Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast