Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam-E or 5-HTP anyone? page

Selah is offline Senior Member

Sam-E or 5-HTP anyone?

Shop Now
    Ok, this is the deal. I am wanting to hear from you if you are using Sam-E or 5 HTP. I have been eating primal for a few months now;however, I have several chronic health issues and recently fell off the wagon with my food and have gained about 5 pounds really fast.
    I am one that suffers with high anxiety, so I am thinking maybe Sam-E or 5 HTP would be beneficial.
    Anyone with experience here would be appreciated.

strom is offline Senior Member
    GABA and L Tryptophan help. Gaba is a neuro inhibitor, tryptophan makes serotonin and melotonin.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Ok, this is the deal. I am wanting to hear from you if you are using Sam-E or 5 HTP. I have been eating primal for a few months now;however, I have several chronic health issues and recently fell off the wagon with my food and have gained about 5 pounds really fast.
    I am one that suffers with high anxiety, so I am thinking maybe Sam-E or 5 HTP would be beneficial.
    Anyone with experience here would be appreciated.
    tooooo much experience here on that front.

SAM-e increases dopamine and can increase anxiety but for me, it acts as a mood stabilizer

I'd recommend inositol as a first line of defense. And L-tryptophan as a second.

Using inositol for promoting brain wellness: an interview with Robert Belmaker, MD - Nutritional Medicine Update - Interview | Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients | Find Articles at BNET

My links also have some info

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Doesn't l tyrosine increase dopamine? Dopamine is what is effected by ritalin I believe. Perhaps ADHD is a form of depression?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Doesn't l tyrosine increase dopamine?
    it can. so does SAM-e.

Dopamine is what is effected by ritalin I believe.
    one of the things.

Perhaps ADHD is a form of depression?
    Naw. You can be *really* good and happy and still affected by ADHD. Or ADHD can cause depression. Or depression can cause difficulty that has symptom crossover wtih ADHD (difficulty focusing, decision making challenges and executive function deficits).

But they are very different things. For more than a few, raising serotonin (a typical depression tx) actually *worsens* ADHD.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I have found that l-theanine is good for anxiety and stress. http://web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

It's safe and fast acting. It really helped my sis, who was prone to panic attacks.
    It promotes the production GABA and of alpha brainwaves, which makes for a calm but focused state (I call it the "zen pill";-) Straight up GABA isn't always as effective, since it has to cross the blood brain barrier, and if you have a healthy blood brain barrier, it will not be very effective. This explains more: http://drknews.com/archives/40)
    Last edited by hazyjane; 09-09-2010 at 11:20 AM.

So you can take L theanine with food? I think with GABA your not supposed to have food or something like that.

Selah is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for your help! I've just put a order in. Looking forward to feeling better SOON.
    That iherb place has great prices,Cillakat!!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    i take sam-e. i tried going off it about two months into primal, but it wasn't a fun week. as cillakat said, it really does stabilize my moods - when something goes wrong, i can just let it go. before, it would ruin my whole day, even if it was just a small thing.

i use the origins for women brand from target; runs about $14 for a month's supply. i will mention, though, that it works best taken about a half hour before you eat. if i don't eat after i take it, though, i get a wee bit naseous, so i always make sure to eat something, even if it's just a handful of nuts. making morning IFs a bit difficult, but i'll deal if it means i feel better.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    So you can take L theanine with food? I think with GABA your not supposed to have food or something like that.
    I usually took it first thing in the a.m. and not with food, and then again in the afternoon (it lasts about 6 hours for me) but as far as I know you can take it with food. Maybe try both ways and see if one is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast