It's the obvious question I suppose, but are you getting thinner without losing weight? It happens, especially if you've upped your activity level.
Beyond that I don't know. I'm certainly not qualified to guess at plateau scenarios...
Tomorrow marks four weeks primal, only one week dairy free.
While I am nowhere near being the hot piece of primal a** I had dreamed of at the beginning of the month there are many benefits. Here is the hit list:
1. increased energy-I am Jazzercised! Sometimes I feel like a teenager, which makes be wonder if I am the female version of Benjamin Button.
2. No longer wear sunscreen-that's right me hearties, my goal is to look like a pirate, yar!
3. No problem skipping crap food I am exposed to, for now I have a will of iron and the self discipline of Chuck Norris.
4. Kiss chronic cardio goodbye-how I ever convinced myself to do it in the first place is a mystery akin to Atlantis.
Still working on:
1. The mythical reduced appetite.
2. Cutting carbs low enough to maybe actually lose some effing weight. I need help people, Laura bars are my weakness, I need a snack that will take the place of deeze nuts, cuz apparently they are not good for weight loss. Must be easy and I hate jerky. People have also suggested I give up fruit, this diet is seeming more and more mirage-like. "All you have to do is give up every single food except meat and vegetables and you will lose weight!" Is what I am hearing. No effing kidding? That's it? I would have done that years ago if I knew all you had to do was not eat 80% of any kind of food at all! DWS (dripping with sarcasm).
This week has been rough. You see, in the days proceeding my friend from the Red Sea's visit I not only gain 5 lbs. water weight I also crave booze and sugar. So far I am holding fort, with an unfortunate slippage last night when I drank 1/2 bottle of wine. Once I'm riding the cotton pony it is all good, but until then I am trying vigilantly to not overeat or drink, especially since I'm not losing weight anyway so I am wondering if it even matters.
In sum, will I continue to be primal? Yes. Is it the magical fat-melting, effortless, cheesy 50s musical it is initially advertised as being?
Before: 155 lbs
4 weeks: 153 lbs
Last edited by me2; 11-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Great blog and progress. i am also on a primal challenge. Lara bars are a slippery slope. 1 lara bar has alot of sugar and it is concentrated fruit - so, super sugary. I would opt for 1/2 an apple with almond butter. eliminate the bars.
You could try a week of VLC - omelets for breakfast, cheese for snacks ( unless you are not doing dairy) veggies and meat and fat. That might jumpstart some wieght loss.
Hangry- best term so far - I love it! I am frequently hangry.
One more thing, I have two goals to keep me on track:
Dec- Vegas. Truth be told I am not so much a fan of the city that showcases everything that is wrong with America, but I'm going anyway cuz I'm a good wife and my husband is obsessed with Dave Matthew's Band. Maybe you have run into him on the Warehouse forum. Honestly I had focum envy and that is how I landed here. Ha!
Summer- Costa Rica-We spent our honeyMOAN there and are revisiting it. This time I plan to don a bikini and not hide under a rashguard while surfing. Oh yeah, I would also like to NOT be the fish-belly-white-girl-tourist that has Zink on her nose cuz it is scorched. No joke. http://www.zinka.com/
30 days and I am still hungry all the time. Maybe I just need to throw in the towel and stop chasing the dragon of weight loss.
NO!!!! Eat more fat. Eat more vegetables swimming in butter. maybe put dairy back into the mix?
Thanks invino77 for keeping me motivated
On another note I wanted to talk about what Mark said in his book about Grok's wife, he hallariously adds that she is a "hottie." Honestly this just cracked me up, cuz let's think about this people:
1. She had natty dreads. Let's be honest here, they were not combing or cutting their hair which makes them the OG dreadlockers.
2. She has rotting teeth. Yeah, no dentists=mouth like swamp thing.
3. She has no bra. Certainly the absence of a tit sack leads to some serious gravitational effects.
4. She has been on a lifelong camping trip. Have you ever looked at yourself after camping for a couple days? Um Yeah...
5. She is covered in body hair. More than likely she puts all the 70s "au natural" hairiness to shame, and has legs like a man.
So while she may be muscular and tan, she may not really be a hottie by today's standards. Sorry Mark!
Also worth pondering:
"The research shows that many living European and Asian people have a small number of Neanderthal genes—about 1% to 4% of the genome. None have been found so far in a small sample of living Africans. As the earliest populations of Homo sapiens spread from Africa to Asia and Europe around 60,000 years ago, they met and rarely interbred with Neanderthal groups. Homo sapiens populations that stayed in Africa would never have met Neanderthals."
Last edited by me2; 11-16-2010 at 08:09 PM.
I just read your journal, and I love it!
I hear you, I've been doing this for a month and the scales haven't moved.
Originally Posted by me2
Have you measured yourself? I've lost a little bit on my ribcage and my thighs.
I'm also a teacher, and I know exactly how you feel
Originally Posted by me2
Your description of Grok's wife - LOL
"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
"Moderation sucks." Suse
"Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
"Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield
I have read that dairy, though it is low GI, actually causes an insulin spike. Perhaps that is one of the reasons dairy seems just as hard to kick as sugar. I'm currently trying to get off the white poison. So my non primal treat today was real decaf coffee, cream and dam it, a tables spoon of honey!!! I just needed something while being primal today. I actually felt light headed after... almost like I'd had a glass of wine, weird. But man it was really nice! So now I have to throw out the honey becuase I know I will keep going back for more.
Good news from the Big Girl front; my man calves are atrophying! While I still don't seem to be losing that much weight I do seem to be shrinking. Kissing the fruits and nuts goodbye resulted in a decreased appetite.
So now the question: What are you eating? Vegetables and meat. Yep, I am Optimus Primal (thanks for the awesome word Jenny!).
So here is my question: Coconut is a nut, but on the forums it doesn't seem like it is a naughty nut. People keep it in their diet and still lose weight. Am I right on this one?
" Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat. "
(to be honest my fave people are fruits and nuts)
Last edited by me2; 11-16-2010 at 08:10 PM.