I've just finished reading everything here and I am literally laughing out lout. at work. (shhh don't tell my boss). Hope you don't mind if I follow you around a bit. This Primal life gets lonely when people IRL don't get it.
Good luck to you - I'm sure you'll see most people around here have experienced times when the weight just flies off, and other times when it stalls a bit. It's all part of the process, and remember, it's for the long haul!
I'm not a big dairy person - I occasionally really want some milk and will drink it, and I like to eat yogurt when strawberries are in season. Other than that, I eat a pinch or two of parmesan cheese on my eggs and occasionally on other things most days, but that's it. I may have had yogurt one day, but other than the cheese, I haven't had any dairy since starting this challenge. So, I'm not sure how that would effect my weight. I do, however, retain a huge amount of water whenever I eat wheat- or cane sugar-based carbohydrates. So most, if not all, of my initial weight loss is really water. In fact, I had a major carb binge on Sunday, woke up Monday morning 4 pounds heavier than I was Sunday morning.
Congratulations on your 2 pounds - it's probably real fat loss, as opposed to my water loss
Honest to blog I am a little frustrated with my 2lb weight loss. Here is what I came up with in my root cause analysis:
1. Booze. While nowhere near my glory days beer bongs (I could beat the boys) and 10 drink minimum, moonshine is still my sidekick (or should I say accomplice?). I am averaging about 4 glasses of wine or barrel aged fire water per weekend, though I did cut it out of my weekday.
2. Dairy. I eat more than I think, and now that I am hearing about peoples allergies I believe dairy might have something to do with my bloatation device. This handy dandy monthly occurrence causes water retention (sometimes up to 5 lbs), and makes my baby B-sized boobs tig ol' biddies. Then my period comes, I lose all the h20 weight, and the cycle starts all over again. Wheeeee.
3. I started out fit-ish. I dragged my *** through 6 days of chronic cardio every week, and have a lifetime of muscle built up. Word on the street is that it is harder to cut the fat when you are not just starting out from sitting on the couch all the livelong day.
My improvement plan:
1. Cut it down to 2 drinks a week
2. Kiss dairy goodbye-we had a sweet final day together today. Who knows what will happen in the future?
3. By patient. That is SO hard 'cuz I'm the type that wants to walk before I crawl, but I am going to give my self monthly goals, and even if I only lose 2 lbs a month, that's something, right?
3. Eat more lard to be less of a lard ***. Then maybe I won't be as hungry all the time.
I'm not posting pix 'cuz I'm a teacher and I get kinda weird about that.
Mmm, bloatation. That's gonna be my word of the day.
Good luck with the plan. I hope you gave dairy the "It's not you, it's me. You deserve someone who appreciates you more" speech.
You could post creepily anonymized black-bar-over-eyes photos! Or off with her head?
I think you and I might be long lost sisters. I donated my well-worn beer bong to some 20-year-old college boys awhile back. I figured they'd get more use out of it than me. My BF and I keep a good stock of 'shine around too - but it's for camp stove fuel...yeah, that's it.
Originally Posted by me2
Your journal is great - good luck with the rest of the challenge!
I find this to be far too accurate, and it sucks so much. Once upon a time, I was fairly overweight and not fit at all. So I started to change that, and the weight would go flying off. Bam! Ten pounds here! Ten pounds there! And then I got fit, dropped more weight, but later gained due to eating the SAD aaand then became stuck at good ol' 160. I'm finally loosing again, but we'll see for how long (not nearly the impressive amounts as before)
Originally Posted by me2
OMG so funny. You are hilarious. Love the journal! I am dairy-free right now too...two reasons why (and this is just me), wait, maybe three:
Originally Posted by me2
1) Dairy sugar (lactose) feeds naughty bacteria in the gut. Then they make us bloaty.
2) Dairy seems to pack a bigger carby punch than one might assume...even seemingly innocent cream and half-and-half do contribute a fair amount of carbs if consumed in quantity.
3) If the gut is a mess...most of ours' are...casein protein can "leak" and lead to all sorts of inflammation.
I recommend Natasha Campbell McBride's GAPS book. She explains a lot about the gut and how to heal it.
This is really helpful. I knew I was on the right track, and I do feel like puff the magic dragon today after my soiree with the cheese last night.
Originally Posted by rio_sachairi
Okay, I know I said I was going to be patient but now I have whipped myself into a frenzy. How can I not be losing weight? I was chowing on 150-400 calories worth of candy per day and mowing the grains. Now I KNOW I am eating fewer calories as well as moderating my intake of nuts & carbs. I am as pissed as a hive full o bees with a bear in their honey. What the heck?
Okay, a few hours later and I'm back. I read Marky Mark's advice ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/instant-weight-loss/) and I am going to chillax for a while. My bloatation device is in full effect so that is probably why I am feeling like a seismosaurus. I also need to take notes from the OG primals in my household; my dogs. Turns out I put them on a ridiculously expensive primal diet without even knowing it (http://www.sojos.com/complete.html) and three months later they were svelt and happy little pooches.
Last edited by me2; 09-29-2010 at 04:33 PM.
I'm having the same problem! I did really well the first week or so, lost a few pounds, averaging 1600 calories a day and 50 carbs for the past 3 weeks. Not losing anything now. Actually weighed two pounds more this morning. Bummed.