Thread: Bulk Italian Sausage page

Viking is offline Senior Member

Bulk Italian Sausage

Here's my attempt at Italian sausage seasoning. I don't like eating nitrites, nitrates, and massive amounts of sodium in commercial sausages. Even the healthier ones from WF are too salty for me usually.

Before going Primal I was worried about saturated fat more; I used lean ground turkey (7% fat) and add oil because it tends to be dry --- most sausages are high fat. I have not tried this with ground pork and would like some feedback if anyone tries it.

For one pound of meat:

1/4 teaspoon anise seed
    2 teaspoon fennel seed
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2-3/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
    3/4 teaspoon salt (this is salty enough for me, adjust as needed)

Crush anise and fennel seeds somewhat in a mortar or spice grinder (don't overdo it). I always mix all seasonings and salt in a small bowl. It's important to spread the spices evenly throughout the meat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to the meat along with spices if using lean meat.

Fry blobs/pieces/patties gently (don't scorch the spices) until just done. If you need more *heat* you can double the black pepper and cayenne.

The spices = 4 grams of carbs.

PS - ground turkey comes in 1.25 pound packages where I live so I need to up everything by 25% if using the whole package.

**EDIT** You might want to mix with meat the day before using; it helps blend flavors and moisten the spices so there's no grittiness. I have rarely experienced that but it can happen.
    Last edited by Viking; 09-08-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Bump.
    So, what, am I the pariah? After freely volunteering my sacred and secret recipe for Italian Sausage Seasoning I get ZERO replies??????

It's not that hard! Please try it.

OK maybe it could be expensive if you don't have all the components. If you live in the north bay PM me and come and get some. Spices.

:-)

mizski is offline Senior Member
    LOL, Viking! I plan to answer your post later on. Recipe looks great BTW!

emmaje51 is offline Junior Member
    Ha! I can't wait to try this!! I love sausage and peppers!! I think I will try it with pork. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'm going to add some Sage too!!

charlotta is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    wowsa...this was quite yummy! thanks!!!!