Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (PrimalChristian) page 3

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Page ....oh crap, i just had it and now I forgot. Page 19, Post# 720-something
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Thanks...I’ll look it up.

Well this was my Friday to weigh in and I have to admit that since I started this journey I have seen nothing but GREAT results...until today. I have gained a pound. The first week I dropped 3, second I dropped 4 and third week I dropped 5 lbs. Not sure what I have done to gain a pound this week. And aside from the scale I checked my BMI (machine used at Curves) which is up a half of a pound. I know this shouldn’t seem like much but it is a bit discouraging as I go into the weekend....where I struggle the most. Not sure how I should change up my meals...if at all. I have been keeping my carbs under 70ish and calories in the 1500 to 1600's. I come from SAD diet high in carbs and everything else...so PB is a drastic change for me. A day in my life a month ago was as follows (keep in mind that I sit at a desk all day):

B: Sausage, egg, potato and cheese taco (flour tortilla) and salsa
    L: Chicken fried chicken with extra gravy, french-fries and a salad with croutons and LOTs of 1000 Island dressing...instead of bringing my lunch and going for a work out id opt to eat out with the girls in the office.
    S: Small or medium Blizzard from Dairy Queen (usually reeces peanut butter cups or chocolate chip cookie dough)...yes, I had a sweet tooth in the afternoons that wouldn’t quit!
    D: I’d pick up pizza or make something fried with rice and gravy...or grab McDonald’s chicken nuggets
    S: yep...another snack...usually something sweet!...and my poor kids would eat the same!

Now let’s look at yesterday in my PB life:

B: Nitrate free jalapeńo sausage, hardboiled egg and green/white tea
    L: Salad (spinach, arugula lettuce, carrots, cauliflower, ˝ hardboiled egg, ˝ tsp Caesar dressing, pinch of sunflower seeds, 4 croutons) and a grilled tilapia fillet
    S: Almonds and pistachios (about a handful) and organic applesauce
    D: Baked trout (cooked with a splash of milk and butter) and grilled broccoli (cooked with a splash of coconut oil)
    S: 1 slice of cantaloupe and a handful of pork rinds

This all added up to the following:
    Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g)
    1,698 112.4 58.5 118.8

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here? I am still in the process of learning and i am still working on reading the PB...so let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Other than a bit of discouragement...I am feeling good. I am a bit hungry in the evenings...but I am proud of my vegtable intake and caloric intake. Cant wait to hear from you PB ladies and gents!

Neandergirl is offline Member
    That's alot of popcorn - good luck! Spent the last few days prepping for a visit from Mum & Dad - they're driving up from TN for a few weeks. Going to introduce them to the primal way. Don't think I'll get them to go primal but they're always interested in new ideas. Hope you're having a great weekend. It's beautiful in NE. I weigh in on Mondays - I was too involved in it as well so I limited myself to once a week. Nice defense with the pizza threat :~O. No guilt = way to go!!!
    If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself
    If you want to be somebody else, Change your mind...~Sister Hazel~

You are doing well - don't be discouraged since you could be building muscle while burning fat and that could account for the pound gain. I'm fairly new to primal although I've done paleo in the past and other posts which I've read indicate that it might be beneficial for you to add some calories and fat. I've been losing about 1.25-1.5 lbs per week with plateau weeks in between so you're doing great with the fat loss.
    If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Most would say to lose the nuts (or limit them) and the fruit. Unless it's berries. I've had to do this myself. You just have to find what works for you! All in all, you're eating awesome! And yes, you're composition changes without showing weight loss. It takes time for body to adjust after making such drastic changes, too.

You're doing great!
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

I have been so busy this weekend that I have not had time to post. As you can see I was pretty discouraged on Friday...but the more I pondered on the changes I have made the more I saw that I am doing well...I need to quit the scale and focus on the way I feel and the way my body looks...I see changes in my arms. So I am back in the game mentally and looking forward to the continued change. Thanks for the support ladies!

I do think I am a bit low on the calories because by the time I get home from work I am starving...headache and all. I also have pondered the thought about the fruits and nuts....its just that those particular foods are the easiest to grab when hungry and in a hurry or a bind. I need some snack ideas and I need to buy a dehydrator. I would love to have some beef jerky handy...any other snack ideas?

On another note, I made some Primal meatloaf...but I added chopped fresh spinach...my oldest LOVED it. My youngest wasnt too thrilled, but then again he really never liked the regular packed full of sugar recipe either. I too have told many family and friends about the primal lifestyle....not too sure if it has sunk in. Maybe once they start to see my results and my attitude they might consider it. h and we are doing well with the popcorn sales! We have met half of our goal and we have a week to go!

I highly recommend a dehydrator. I have an Excalibur and I love it! I've been doing jerky for a couple years and have recently started doing it all naturally - no soy or sugars and only marinating in primal ingredients. In the last month or so, I've been getting the last of my friends gardening efforts and have been dehydrating tomatoes like crazy. (I know some ppl on this forum don't eat tomatoes but I do). I have to be careful about eating too much of them though. I froze a bunch of peppers too.

I think I've mentioned pork rinds before and some people don't like them but they can be quite satisfying. I've found some good ones in my local grocery store which are just pork and salt w/out any additives. I've also been investigating them online and found some nice offerings on Amazon which I plan on trying - different flavors. I do love chips so these are a nice primal replacement for them.

Fruits are also a really great thing to dehydrate but high in sugar so I have to be careful to not overindulge. I like making a trail mix with a variety of dried fruits and mixed nuts. The next batch I make is going to include some jerky too. I made some homemade fruit rollups a few months ago with some strawberries which I processed in the blender. Now that we're into apple season, I plan on getting some more apples (went picking last week) and I'm going to dehydrate some, make some primal applesauce, and then try to make some fruit rollups with some too.

Not sure if you're a dairy person, but I like cheese for snacking. I buy good quality cheese in bulk at BJs food warehouse and I try to keep a variety in the house. I also like to snack on fresh peppers and different kinds of lettuce. I like to roast a roaster chicken each week (for me and the dog) and that's always a nice "go to" for a quick protein snack.

That meatloaf sounds great. I'm going to do a water fast tomorrow - not sure how long I'll go but I feel the need to clean house and get my body and mind in a good place. I've been a litte off-track the last few days with the fam visiting. Congrats on your goal progression.

Oooh...do you mind sharing your jerky recipe? I do eat tomatoes, love em! Peppers are also a must for me too. I am already cutting so much out...it would be insane to cut tomatoes, peppers and green beans too. Although I have cut back on the green beans for now. I also need a crunch every now and then...and pork rinds are great. I like the spicy flavor but it is hard to find them without sugar...so let me know how the ones on Amazon go.

Yes, I have seen a few recipes for fruit roll-ups here and there and that sounds really good for a snack option! I think a mixture of berries would be good. I have found a really good organic applesauce at a Sun harvest grocery store nearby. I also like the one with added cinnamon. It seems that the fruits and veggies I like are a bit higher in carbs than the ones I do not prefer, go figure right? For this week at least I am going to limit my fruit and nut intake just to see if I can see results. Then I am going to start looking for a dehydrator.

So how did your parents feel about the Primal way? My mom actually called last night and was asking me a few questions about snack options...lol...if she only knew that I was having problems snack wise But I thought it was neat that she and my step-father were showing interest.

As I mentioned above, this week I am going to limit fruits, nuts and seeds. Hopefully that will help. Then after this week I have my vacation cruise....where I will be faced with all kinds of temptation. I have just decided to not stress about it and try to go with the flow...if I mess up I can just get back on track...after all, each day is a new day!

Today's menu includes the following:

B: 1 scrambled egg, strawberries
    L: Beef fajita with onions and peppers, salsa
    S: Celery and cashew butter (I could not bring myself to pay $9 for almond butter...that was my only option here where I live...any recipes for almond butter?)
    D: blackened trout mixed veggies drizzled with butter

I am a bit low in the kitchen...it is almost time to go shopping! My grandmother is watching the kids while I’m on vacation, she said to buy all junk food because she wasn’t going to cook! Not sure how I am going to handle that just yet....

For my last batch of jerky I used a marinade of garlic powder, onion powder, red wine vinegar, liquid smoke, and I added a small amount of honey from a friend's hives - there might have been some celery salt as well but I can't be sure. I don't always add the same ingredients and I usually mix it up a bit. I like to buy spices in bulk and I keep a variety of them in stock so that I can experiment. I like adding italian seasonings sometimes too. Ginger can be nice and I like spicy/hot cayenne pepper so I have used them as a coating after the marinade. Once you get going, you'll want to experiment with a variety to find what you like best. I've had my dehydrator for a few years now and it's held up pretty well with the use that it's received. Now that you've mentioned the mixed berries for the rollups, I think I'll use some blueberries that I have in the freezer to make some.

Hey, I'm not sure if you've ever checked out this site but it has a lot of great stuff: Paleodiet.com. I've been to this site alot over the years and it has a ton of good links. It even has the PB info now! It was one of the first sites I used to educate myself about the paleo lifestyle. I found a recipe for almond butter on Allrecipes.com which seemed pretty good - haven't tried it though.

My parents are used to me trying out new food plans so when I told them that I wasn't eating grains or corn anymore they weren't surprised. I've been off sugar for quite some time anyway so when I mentioned that I had eliminated grains/corn, soy, and starches too, they didn't really question why but my Mum asked if I had developed an allergy : ). They're also at the age where they avoid certain foods for various reasons. My Mum has developed diverticulitis and lactose intolerance and my Dad tries to avoid sugar and caffeine - they've both had major surgeries in the last ten years. I told them about the primal way of eating and encouraged them to think about the abundance of HFCS in the food supply as well as the obesity rate which has skyrocketed in the last thirty years. I started off by asking them to remember how they ate when they were children and to think about how often they ate processed foods or candy when they were being raised by my grandparents. They described how they ate and it was very different sixty years ago from how they/everyone eat/eats now. Mostly the food was grown locally and available only seasonally. My grandparents cooked almost every meal from scratch and used fresh meats and vegetables. Then I asked them to think about all the diseases which are around now that were relatively a rarity back then. They mentioned that candy and ice cream was an occasional treat for them as children and that corn was a summer crop, which was sometimes canned, but never eaten like it is today in so many different forms. Bread was of course common as were potatoes but they both remembered getting alot of exercise from walking to school, gardening, riding their bikes, and just playing outside. If they did get excess starches, they burned it off w/physical activity. My Dad lived rurally and his family used wood exclusively for heating, so he and his brothers spent alot of time in the summer getting the winter wood supply together. I think I gave them alot to think about while they're off doing their visiting the next few weeks. They'll be back before they go home and I plan on feeding them primally for their last few meals with me.

Well, you'll have to enjoy your cruise and let us know how you fared with all that temptation - I've never cruised but many of my friends do and from what they tell me, the food offerings are immense. Not sure about the "buy 'em junk food" comment. Maybe if you have time, you can prepare some stuff for the kids and freeze it, then Gram will just have to defrost and nuke since it will already be prepared?

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just reading your journal -sounds like you are doing great! Good luck with the popcorn. My son and husband are selling it too. My DD is selling pizzas for American Heritage Girls too. I'm surrounded by grains lol.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast