Thread: Sunlight in Cold Climates page

Setabas is offline Senior Member

Sunlight in Cold Climates

I began implementing the Primal Blueprint this summer and have had no issues getting the requisite amount of sunlight on a daily basis, but now that kids are heading back to school, I realize that cold weather is right around the corner (I live in NJ).

Supplementing with vitamin D3 is a topic I've seen discussed at length here, but I'd like to continue with natural sun as much as possible. Has anyone tried to use a forced air propane heater or a propane tank-top radiant heater to warm a small area where you could get some sun during the winter months?

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't bother. At your latitude during the winter months you really don't make much, if any, Vit D with sun exposure. The angle of the sun to the northern latitudes is too low/too weak to stimulate Vit D production. Take your supplement. I haven't done any research about using tanning beds to stimulate Vit D. Has anyone else? That might be an alternative.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I was afraid of that. There is a website mentioned in another post (as well as in the Primal Leap Kit) that says I'd need 51 minutes of exposure in January. Probably a little more time than I have, but I may give it a shot anyway, if nothing else it is relaxing and improves my mood being in the sun.

Thanks for your reply.

fitpumpkin is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Being in the sun improves your mood partly because of the vitamin D. At least for me thats how it works. I take my D supplement and I feel the same level of daily ok-ness that I get from the sun. Minus of course the nice toasty feeling the sun can give you
    As the previous person mentioned, those of us in the northern-ish reaches of the country, we're too far north to get enough direct sun to stimulate production of Vitamin D. I've been on D supplements before and found it very helpful.