Thread: My Lipid profile - Should I be worried? page

dixonge is offline Junior Member

My Lipid profile - Should I be worried?

Shop Now
    Well, it was bound to happen eventually I guess. I'm finally running into the "fat hypothesis" issue with my doctor.

Just got lipid profile bloodwork back, and the numbers look like this:

233 Cholesterol, total
    043 HDL Cholesterol
    211 Triglycerides
    148 LDL Cholesterol
    5.4 CHOL/HDLC Ratio

Doc wants me to increase exercise (which I've already been doing) and lower fat intake. I plan on a follow-up test in about six months, but in the meantime I really don't want to go TOO low on the fat. As a matter of fact, I'm currently doing a carb-cycling "every other day" diet that is, in actuality, quite low on fat, just started a few weeks ago. Lost 12 pounds so far.

Any way, just looking for some feedback...

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Just make sure to keep inflammation under control by limiting omega 6 fatty acids and getting enough omega 3 from fish/fish oil/brains. I can't stress that enough. Also be sure to get enough of all of the essential nutrients and make sure to have high vitamin d levels. Magnesium may be an essential supplement. You should see massive improvements if you get everything right Your triglycerides are high and HDL is low but that will likely resolve itself after a few months. Triglycerides are usually associated with high insulin and that can be resolved through nutrition and controlling inflammation. Mike Eades notes that high LDL has more to do with inflammation and the related over-stimulation of the HMG CoA reductase enzyme, also caused by high insulin caused by inflammation of the liver.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Dixonge, how long have you been doing PB?

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Your triglycerides are kind of high. High TG's are closely tied to carb intake. You may want to limit the carb cycling to once a week and decrease the percentage of carbs you are eating on those higher carb days. Every other day sounds like too many carbs are raising your TG's.

dixonge is offline Junior Member
    Further update.....

When I had this test performed I was in about week 2 of this new diet plan, so not sure if the carb cycling had time to impact my triglycerides.

The specific plan we're currently doing is Jon Benson's Every Other Day Diet. I am doing the extra carbs at lunch on Tues. Thurs. and Saturday. Blood was drawn on a Wednesday morning so even though I fasted that A.M. it might have been influenced by Tuesday's lunch.....

Diet specifics are a hybrid of macronutrient ratios, organic fruit, raw almonds, protein powder for the morning shake, etc. It seems fairly primal, except I'm probably getting more fruit than Grok ever would. Yet I've lost wait and I am not having to fight horrible cravings every day.

So for right now I would like to focus on weight loss and exercise. But when my next test comes up, how long of a lead time would I need to be able to change those triglyceride numbers? If I started cutting back on the carb cycling a month ahead of time would that work?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I did my last cholesterol test about 6 weeks into PB, and my numbers had skyrocketed from being perfect to not good at all. However, I decide to stay the course and give it a chance until my annual physical last week. I am still waiting on my results, which will be almost exactly 6 months into PB. I hope they are good.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    In his first book, Dr. Atkins said NOT to expect changes in blood values for 6 months when starting a new way of eating.

I agree that you need to cut the carbs to lower those trigs, and you want to raise that HDL with good omega 3s--do you take fish oil or krill oil? Either would help.

If you test too soon, you may not think the eating plan is working, but you need to give it time.

randalland is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Your triglycerides are kind of high. High TG's are closely tied to carb intake. You may want to limit the carb cycling to once a week and decrease the percentage of carbs you are eating on those higher carb days. Every other day sounds like too many carbs are raising your TG's.

Actually, Triglycerides are more closely related to fat consumption.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    In his first book, Dr. Atkins said NOT to expect changes in blood values for 6 months when starting a new way of eating.

I agree that you need to cut the carbs to lower those trigs, and you want to raise that HDL with good omega 3s--do you take fish oil or krill oil? Either would help.

If you test too soon, you may not think the eating plan is working, but you need to give it time.
    I Had a lipid panel done beginning of May just as i was going Primal.Had another done 8 weeks later ( advised to do so by my Doctor ) and in those two months my triglycerides halved and my hdl nearly doubled,much to my doc's amazement.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randalland View Post
    Actually, Triglycerides are more closely related to fat consumption.
    Carbs in the form of grains greatly increase triglycerides,good saturated fat does not.