Thread: Earthlings Documentarie and Organic/Grass Fed Foods? page

Zeus is offline Junior Member

Earthlings Documentarie and Organic/Grass Fed Foods?

Shop Now
    Hi I've been in a difficult place in my personel life over the past year and confusion over diet and weight loss plays a big part of it. I bought the primal Blueprint and finished reading it a week ago and would like to go into it feeling motivated and excited but I have a few concerns.

Firstly after reading the book and searching online most primal bloggers eat organic/Grass fed meat. I can't do that, please dont say to eat less because I'm going to be doing that anyway so eating even less would be difficult. I feel as though I 'm not doing the right thing if I'm not consuming Grass Fed meats and Eggs and so on. Am I being to hard on myself and are there many who are like me and dont consume Grass fed products but are still better off than they were before?

Secondly I recently watched a Documentarie called Earthlings. It's about Animal Cruelty and it really shocked me. If anyone here has watched it I would be interested in your opinions towards it. It's put me off eating meat a little and I wont be very primal if I dont eat meat. Am I wrong to feel so guilty about consuming meat and if you have watched it are many slaughterhouses like this? I wont describe what goes on.

So now I would like to follow the primal blueprint but can only afford supermarket bought meat and also have had my mind filled with these images of Animal Cruelty and contemplating becoming a Vegatarian/vegan.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Zeus, grassfed is optimal and if you can get it awesome; but don't keep yourself up at night worrying about not being able to. I have grassfed meat very rarely because at the moment it is also not really an option for me. So you are fine without it, not without meat though. Be sure to keep us all informed how things are going for ya and welcome to the life.
    Last edited by Adventure8410; 09-08-2010 at 01:22 PM.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I come from the opposite side - a lifelong vegetarian/vegan who decided to start eating animals. I made the switch because I was not thriving on a veg*n diet, and after doing extensive reading I was forced to conclude that humans have evolved to be omnivorous, and the veg*n diet is not optimal for many (if not most) individuals. That took care of any guilt I had - eating meat is no more immoral for me than it is for a black bear, raccoon, or other omnivorous animal.

The factory farming system is another story entirely. Since I do come from a veg*n background, animal welfare and environmental impact are things that I am very aware of. So, I do my best to only purchase sustainable animal products from local farms. Of course, there are trade offs. My sustainable wild salmon is shipped from Alaska to Philadelphia, so it has a significant carbon footprint. We also buy cheaper cuts to allow us to afford organic and grass fed. Sometimes I have to settle for conventionally produced food if I'm low on cash, on the road, or didn't have time to get to the farm market that week, but I don't dwell on it.

As for the question of whether you should eat primal if you can't afford organic/grass fed/local/whatever: I think that there are a lot of benefits to following the PB, even if your meat isn't the best quality. Eating a ton of veggies and some fruit is a good idea regardless. Avoiding grains is a plus too, since even if you aren't gluten-sensitive you will be replacing them with delicious, nutrient-dense veggies. Most people don't need nearly as many carbohydrates as they consume on the standard western diet, so you will likely see benefits from lowering your carb intake as well. And, if you supplement with fish oil it will help offset the lousy lipid profile of most conventional animal products, though you will still have to take into account the funky hormones, antibiotics, animal welfare, and environmental issues.

Humans are a funny species. Omnivorism has allowed us to thrive in a wide variety of environments and circumstances. The two factors of meat-eating and cooking contributed to the evolution of our big ol' brains, since they freed up energy and resources that would have otherwise been spent on digestion. Those same big brains are what allowed us to develop compassion for other species, and consider the possibility that it may not be "right" to eat them. Those big brains have also allowed veg*ns to put together diets that meet most of their nutritional requirements while allowing them to live according to their morals. Ultimately though, if you are interested in optimal health, you really can't argue with eating the foods the human animal evolved to eat, which happens to include other animals.

shemdogg is offline Senior Member
    Earthlings was tough to watch just saw that last wknd. Watch food Inc and you'll see the way livestock is treated on local farms instead of the factories in earthlings

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I have only seen the trailer for the film, but that was enough. The examples they show are pretty bad, but don't apply to every situation. I see humans as just another animal in the ecosystem. For me it's about how and why you kill. I learned my lesson very young. I shot a bird one day just because i wanted to shoot my new gun. I was made to eat that bird because "we don't kill things just to kill them". I wouldn't demonize a lion for killing, so i won't demonize myself. You just have to take steps to know what you are eating and where it came from. Most of the ranchers i have looked into have the mentality that happy beef=healthy beef=profitable beef. Grass fed can be expensive, but when bought in bulk it isn't much more than store-bought. But if grass-fed is just not an option i would go with organic fed and be sure to supplement with a good fish oil.

Zeus is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I've seen food inc shemdogg and it's not pleasant to watch but it seems like it happens in more places than I thought.
    There are some really horrible scenes in the film Earthlings but it is definatly eye opening, and shutting at times I'll try to not concern myself with grass fed so much and try to get those film images out my head.

I'll say that I do believe that there are many different diets out there that can work for everyone, not just for losing fat but to be healthy all round. Lower carbs are great for some and for others a higher carb diet is better, avoiding overly proccessed foods is important for health I think. For me I started low carb last year early 2009, I lost 25lbs and have now gained it back and more due to my own issues surrounding food. But the problem was that at first it was to eat less carbs (under 50g) and then it was avoid sweeteners and then I read I should avoid cured meats and then I was told to avoid dairy and then avoid convetionally raised meat and eggs. Where do I stop, I eventually gave in and added the weight back. That's where too much internet is no good, there's so much conflicting information it's hard to get started.
    Last edited by Zeus; 09-09-2010 at 07:19 AM.