Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Pemmican for the First Time - Any Suggestions? page

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member

Making Pemmican for the First Time - Any Suggestions?

Shop Now
    Hey All,

I am going to try make pemmican for the first time this weekend.

I have read a lot on the subject, and think I have it down, but was just wondering if there were any Groks/Grokettes out there that have any more advice etc.

Thanks!

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I am actually in the middle of making a video series on making pemmican. Will post links in the morning when I am at the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    I am actually in the middle of making a video series on making pemmican. Will post links in the morning when I am at the desktop.
    AWESOME! when you do, do you mind if I post them on my blog?!

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely interested in following your progress. Good luck with it!

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    I made a batch a while ago. It is a great snack and imho if you are trying to gain muscle I think a square or two of pemmican along with post workout meal is much more effective than whey. But frankly it just doesn't taste that good plain. I just did meat and fat, no berries; but it would taste much better with some salt and a lot of pepper or something like chipotle powder if you have that. I was eating it cold from the fridge (you can't really heat it unless you want to make soup) so it needs extra spices for flavor. At the time I just had each bite with some hot sauce.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    I always thought this "pemmican manual" looked like a great resource (plus it has photos!)
    http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

I made his $10 beef jerky drier and love it.

rlb165 is offline Junior Member
    I've made pemmican a few times.

One mistake I made at first was not letting the jerky get dry enough before I tried to grind it into powder. For my food processor to work very well, the jerky had to be so dry it was almost crispy. To get the jerky this dry, it had to be sliced very thin, something like 1/8 of an inch. I think metrically that converts to...uhhhhhh...really thin.

Also, once you have your powdered jerky and rendered fat, you might want to experiment with different meat/fat ratios in different bowls to see what consistency you prefer, and what different ingredients you like.

Good Luck!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I have done it. I made mine really spicy when I was mixing everything together. It came out good that way but it's inedible to anyone that's not an extreme pepper head.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I have done it. I made mine really spicy when I was mixing everything together. It came out good that way but it's inedible to anyone that's not an extreme pepper head.
    +1 on the phrase pepper head. hahahaha

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree that making sure the meat is totally bone dry to a crisp is key. This helps when powdering it and also ensures that it will have a very long shelf life. I followed the guide that Marisa posted for rendering my tallow and it came out great. I agree that it's pretty bland plain, but nothing that a little salt and pepper won't fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast