Thread: Question about meal-replacement shakes page

pandapuffs Guest

Shop Now

I'm relatively new to MDA, and am starting to incorporate some Primal knowledge into my diet. I love my smoothies, so Mark's protein shake caught my attention. I've tried a few smoothie additives (like Nutiva's hemp protein powder) but I've never used anything like this as a meal replacement--that is, just the powder and liquid. I always had the impression that meal replacements might help you lose weight, but once you go back to a regular course of meals the weight will return. Obviously I'm altering my entire diet and wouldn't depend on a shake alone to change my life (ha!) but I'm still skeptical. On the other hand, since I'm pretty new to this way of eating being able to tackle at least one meal a day with ease would be great!

So what's the Primal take on these? How would I incorporate a meal-replacement shake into a healthy diet without losing ground the second I stopped?

Tarlach is offline Member

I think eating real food is primal.

I don't understand how anyone could justify eating a meal of powdered anything.

You certainly don't need protein powder to lose weight or put on muscle.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

pandapuffs Guest

That's where I'm coming from. I've always been skeptical (or at least simply ignored) meal-replacement drinks or protein powders, until recently when I tried a couple Nutiva hemp powders. But I'm for whole foods, too, I just got curious about Mark's powder, and what place it had in the diet. It doesn't seem like a natural fit, but I'm totally new to this so I was wondering.

klcarbaugh Guest

Mark created that protein powder over ten years ago... but I am not certain on this fact. I think he has changed his mind a lot over the years as he has learned new things about health.

Don't buy it. I don't think that it fits into the primal blueprint whatsoever... and I am not sure that mark would consider it primal either.

It certainly isn't paleo, and I think if you just love smoothies, you should make one out of coconut milk and fruit alone. Mark's is full of crap like soy and fructose.

Eat some steak.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Panda, Adding some whey protein powder to a smoothie isn't going to derail any of your efforts, but I definitely don't think it should be a staple. I would only add some powder to your drinks if you think you aren't getting enough protein, which is only about 0.7-1lb. of LEAN body mass. Otherwise, stick to making smoothies with only REAL food like carbaugh suggested.

grandma is offline Member

The PB is largely about eating food the way nature provides it. Distilling food into their individual macro nutrients and recombining them into a "super food" is unnatural and assumes that man somehow knows better than nature. There is some science that has shown that some isolated nutrients have health benefits and taking supplements or whey powder or whatever can help to offset things that are missing in the modern diet. I think as a philosophy it is best to try to get your nutrients from nature. I'm not advocating a "raw food" diet or anything like that, I'm all for home cooking, I just think that factory food is not healthy.

Protein shakes and smoothies may offer some convenience occasionally, but I wouldn't use them as a meal replacement.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

If you're after fast weight loss with the convenience of not having to prepare most of your meals then meal replacement shakes can work.

pandapuffs Guest

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I checked the page for Responsibly Slim again, and the language didn't seem to line up with the PB. It's interesting to know Mark designed it several years ago--that makes a lot more sense now.

I'm definitely interested in eating as unprocessed as possible, and would prefer to get my protein from whole foods. klcarbaugh and Jess, I do love my smoothies so coconut and fruit it is

I also don't need a ton of protein as I'm smaller and not super active...yet!