Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Owners? page

Luvbirds is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Just curious how many of you feed your dogs a species appropriate diet, Raw. My dog has been Raw Fed for over two years now and I'm very happy with his health and fitness.

bcreager Guest

I changed my dogs (2 labs) over to raw diet about 6 months ago. One of my labs was breaking a lot of teeth (like 6!) and the vet couldn't tell us what was wrong. They wanted us to stop playing ball with her, thinking that was doing it. She was 4 at the time, and never had problems before.

I did some research and though maybe it was a food allergy, so I switched them to raw food. They love it, and I can't imagine going back to dry food. I feed them mostly chicken, but their favorite is pork loin ribs...its like a drool waterfall as soon as they see me take them out of the fridge!

Shiny coat, lean build, and clean teeth, all + and no -, I recommend it to everyone I can.

-bcreager

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

One of my dogs has *really* bad allergies. So bad that she's on some pretty powerful medicine for it @ $70-$140 a month for the prescription. It's actually made for organ transplant patients.

If we didn't give it to her, she'd literally scratch off the fur on her face, and bite off the fur on her legs/paws... not very much fun.

I've lately switched her diet to no grains, no legumes, no sugar, and started pouring walnut oil over her food to increase her fat content.

I've cut down her medication to about 1/7th of what it was before, and she's doing awesome.

Pretty crazy, grains can be really bad.

-Sean

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Sean, congratulations on nearly curing your dog with diet! That is so awesome.

I really want to switch my dog's diet but I need resources for exactly what she needs to eat and how much.

Since we've been eating primally and she's been getting more meat scraps and such, she is more reluctant to eat her kibble... and I don't blame her! Any good resources/links for where to start?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I feed my two huskies a mostly raw diet with lots of bones and some supplemental sardine oil. They love it. One of them has an allergy to grains - it causes facial itching. It really improved when I switched them to mostly raw. The get our meat & veggie scraps, too. No grain, though. Their coats definitely improve with added oil. If only the seasonal shedding would stop!

T J Guest

My dog has been fed meat, bones and organs only since he was a puppy. He is 19 years old now.

There was a post about this about a month ago, some really good stuff

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

If humans often suffer from eating grains, imagine carnivores like dogs! That they can usually do OK with grain loaded dog food is amazing.

I haven't had a dog in many years, just not my thing. But if I were to have one now, it would either be raw meat or canned 100% meat.

Just a thought, can you dog owners find a custom slaughter/butcher operation nearby? I'm sure they would be glad to find another market for the organ meats.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I have two retired racing greyhounds. We started feeding them raw and they loved it, but it was time consuming and costly. We switched back to a top line dry food, Innova Evo for many years. But now, the oldest one has been going for periods without eating, so we switched back to raw and he hasn't missed a meal since. Luckily, we found some premade raw foods and all we have to do is thaw it out. They get a little bit of cod liver oil on it as well.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Catalina is offline Member

My dogs are on all-raw diet (frozen dinner bars + wild salmon oil). My 14-year-old is doing great--the vet had suggested she might be too old to make the change, but I eased her into it, and she's been all BARF for about six months now--I'm REALLY glad I did it.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

im still feeding my pitbull half raw half cooked food. Raw meats and bones but cooked salmon and veggies... he is a little bit overweight by the doc but he eats healthy and moves a lot so i think its just his bigger than average size for the species...

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast