Thread: Wrapping my head around all this. Hello from California! page

Cmitchell500 is offline Junior Member

Wrapping my head around all this. Hello from California!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Standardish greeting: I was the chubbyish teenager with absolutely no activity, and far too much in the realm of soda, pizza rolls, snack foods, and frozen dinners. Over the last two years or so I've gradually come a -long- way. The basic food tenants that I've arrived to at this point is to eat all natural food, no sugar, plenty of veggies/fruit/lean meats/and until recently, whole grains.

Having stumbled upon this site I'm starting to question that last bit. I seem to have arrived recently at a place of extreme overtraining, cycles of binging and withholding, and a frustrating lack of progress considering the amount of effort put in. It's hard to take this all in and believe there could be a way that's so comparably easy, tasty, and in line with how I already think about eating. I'm giving it a tentative try; hopefully I'll have cause to stick around! I'm 5'6, 160lbs, and in healthy shape, but not quite yet to the standard I want to hold myself to. Trying to get over my habit of using self loathing as my workout fuel. Being a short guy with a thick frame makes it difficult sometimes.

Beyond the vanity and workout compulsion the reason I've stuck around with healthy eating is because I love the way I feel. I don't miss any of the crap I used to put into my body. When I talk to friends they seem to perceive the way I eat as being limiting, but I find it to be the opposite. My mind is more open, I'm constantly trying new foods, and everything tastes better when it's -real- food.

On a further introductory note: I'm Chris. I'm a 21 year old theater student in the California Bay Area.
    Last edited by Cmitchell500; 09-07-2010 at 10:49 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Welcome,

Regarding your point about folks around here showing a "frustrating lack of progress considering the amount of effort put in. It's hard to take this all in and believe there could be a way that's so comparably easy, tasty, and in line with how I already think about eating."

I think its important to remember that some folks here are "desperate" to lose weight and unlike yourself may not come from a place where their peers tell them they look good, etc. Thusly, making all these changes to their diets without the same type of results others experience results in the frustration they express.

This "diet" or rather lifestyle, can be extremely simple or as complicated as you'd like to make it. We have many people here who are very interested in learning the finest and tiniest details regarding how our bodies process/deal with food and other things, and we have many topics that get very deep into these subjects. We also have people that are content with knowing just enough.

Personally I can go either way. I'm happy knowing that eating a diet free of processed foods is the right thing to do. I'm happy knowing that I'm feeding my body properly, giving it the nutrients, minerals and vitamins it needs through food alone (with mild supplementation - fish oil and vitamin D mostly) and having learned a little about meal frequency I'm also happy knowing i don't have to eat a million times a day.

I think regardless of your personal goals, just getting close to nature again will do wonders.