Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! HELP ME WITH MY "WHOLE30" STARTING FEB 2!

Shop Now
    Day 1 of 30 day primal challenge, going from primal meals with "extras" to straight primal for 30 days. I am going to record exercise as well as I am getting back into my routine with that after kids being at home over the summer.

Starting weight is approx 230lbs, down 30bs from my max before I stopped eating gluten, but still 100lbs heavier than before I got ill (yes freaking isn't it... and the doctor said there was nothing wrong with me!). I am not going to weigh regularly though, as it leads me to cut back on my food, IV get too hungry and end up falling into temptation. My focus for now is solely on eating primal only, not on quantities, timing etc.

7/9:
    7.15 4 organic eggs scrambled with a tbsp of ghee, greens and brocolli

9.45 1/2 tsp coconut oil, few nuts (not really hungry but going to 1.5 hr yoga class)

11.45 nuts

12.45 3 pieces of poached coley with ghee and lemon pepper, greens and courgette, 2 bites of pear, 6 grapes, cup of fruit tea

2.30 half a piece of salmon with lemon juice

4.45 organic beef mince cooked with red onion and a can of tomatoes, salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomoato, peppers, olives, pspring onions, EVO and ACV dressing, 4 squares of 85% choc, small apple

Soooo hungry today, just feeding myself and hoping it'll settle down as my body adjusts to not having regular carbs coming in.

8.30 rest of the mince I cooked earlier (total was 500g), small portion of salad as before, 7 blackberries (from our garden )
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-01-2011 at 11:11 AM.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    best of luck!
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Day 2. Today has been tough. Very, very tired and mega mood swings from sugar withdrawal, and really hungry too. But I completed all my goals for food and exercise, and got the housework done, go me LOL .

7.15 4 eggs scrambled with ghee, salad from yesterday

10.30 2 small peppered smoked mackerel fillets and 2 carrots

12.00 few nuts

12.15-12.50 swim, including a few sprints

1.00 few nuts

2.05 3 bacon, 1 egg, 5 mushrooms, 2 tomatoes, cooked in lard

5.45 spiced beef stew with onion, yellow pepper, canned tomatoes and carrots, and loads of watercress, 4 sq 85% choc

9.00 1 avocado, 1 small can tuna

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the Tribe! Sorry to hear today is rough for you..... but know that the withdrawals will subside soon and will pass. your food stats look amazing! Keep your head up and butt in the saddle!! LOL

Today was *much* better, thank goodness. Still feel weaker than normal as adjusting to the low carb, but the sugar withdrawal "Everybody hates me" thing is over!

Day 3, 9th Sept:

Decided to shower and dress before breakfast today, have needed to eat *urgently* on waking the last few years. Managed fine, was pretty hungry by the time I got breakfast, but it was manageable, not a crisis! Morning routine will work much better if I can do that.

7.45 4 eggs scrambled with ghee, red pepper, courgette cooked in EVOO

10.10 set off on a hike

11.15 half my packed meal of a filleted trout poached, celery, carrot, EVOO and ACV

1.30 other half plus a few nuts, meant to take a piece of fruit but forgot

2.25 finished walk... I walked 9 miles!!!

2.45 Turkey steak cooked in beef tallow and spices, broccoli and cabbage, apple

5.45 Chilli with minced organic beef, green pepper, courgette, carrot and celery, 4sq 85% choc

9.20 peftover turkey and broccoli

I am thrilled with the walk, two years ago I was ill and injured and couldn't even walk round the block. It has taken me a long time to slowly regain health and strength and being able to hike 9 miles up hill and down dale really means a lot to me!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 09-09-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I haven't gone 100% myself yet, but from what I hear the adjustment can take quite a while for most folks, but everyone seems glad that they hung in there, so ... hang in there! And welcome to the forum and to the primal challenge.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    9 miles?! You make me look like a sissy! Welcome anyhow (smiles) and good luck!
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

LOL well it's not something I do often! Sore, sore feet this morning, rest day today!

Today, day 4, Septh 10th:

7.15 chilli from yesterday

11.15 prawns, avocado, lime juice, 4sq 85% choc

3.00 bit of leftover chilli

5.50 roast chicken, greens, swede with ghee, 1 glass of red wine

I am definately getting less hungry. With carbs I used to need to eat in the evening at about 8.30, it is now 9.15 and I am not wanting to eat yet. Only problem is then I don't know what to do because if I don't eat before bed I wake up starving hungry at 2am!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 09-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Hmm well that was interesting. I wanted to go to bed early last night but still wasn't really hungry. I ate a couple of little bits of cold chicken from the fridge but not a full supper like normal. Yet, I didn't wake up hungry in the night. That really is unprecedented. In fact I woke at 6.30 but my breakfast wasn't ready till 7.45 and I felt fine. Hungry but not "oh my god I need food right now or else". The excessive appetite/ crazy blood sugar thing is one of the main things I am hoping taking grains and legumes out of my diet will help with. Looks good so far .

Day 5, Sept 11th:

Breakfast- pork cooked in lard, onion, aubergine and tomato with EVOO and Italian mixed herbs, an apple

11.45 rest of aubergine stuff from breakfast, 3 hardboiled eggs, small portion prawns with lime juice, 4 sq dark choc

Went swimming with the kids, no actual proper swimming but about 50 mins of playing around with the family.

3.55 small portion of chicken with swede in ghee, greens and gravy from yesterday

Feeling quite nauseous and woozy today. I note the hot flushes and sweats have started again today, just like last time (I did 2 weeks of pure paleo eating a couple of weeks ago).

5.45 Salmon and roasted veg with EVOO, raspberries, decaf black coffee

Tummy a bit iffy after that, and this morning too. Eliminating a bit over enthusiastically (sorry for the TMI).

9.30 couple of bites of chicken
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 09-11-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Things are proceeding pretty much as they did when I went pure primal a few weeks ago. Except the transition has been easier, not so tired and weak for so long, and only a couple of mild headaches (last time I had awful headaches for a few days). Guess that two weeks started me gearing up so it's easier this time.

Have now reached the hot flushes, sweats and can't sleep stage. I think that means I am burning fat? I read somewhere that when you start making ketones your body overdoes it so you have excess energy for a while. Don't know if that's right, but certainly the same thing happened last time. It hadn't settled by the 15 day mark which was when I fell into a tub of Haagen Dazs, I hope it settles quicker this time. Lack of sleep = carb cravings for me so it contributed to me derailing last time I think. I have continued with primal meals during that time though (no grains or legumes etc) so I have that in my favour, even though I was having some sugary stuff at other times. I love the attitude that every primal choice made counts, instead of being all or nothing.

Anyway, today is day 6, Sept 12th:

7.55 Triumphant leftovers breakfast- chucked in leftover cold chicken and leftover salad (celery, tom, carrot) with some coconut oil, then added coconut milk. Two leftover hardboiled eggs on the side, and an apple to finish. Excellent! (yes we just watched Bill and Ted with the kids LOL)

12.50 Nuts

1.45 salmon with roasted veg in EVOO and balsamic, blackberries

5.45 steak cooked in EVOO and Ghee with some balsamic chucked in at the end, with avocado and lime juice
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 09-12-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast